• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Hi,

I am just wondering have anyone use SATA drives ( for both OS/application and gigasamples ) without configuring RAID ? The following is my configuration:

AMD 5200 dual core
    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI 690G Socket AM2 1000MHz DDR2-800 M-ATX mobo
    DDR2 memory ( 2x1GB )
    WD800JD 80G SATA hard drive x1 ( OS/application )
    WD500AAKS 500GB SATA hard drive x1 ( samples )

There is no raid configured, even the drivers are installed.

I have tried to put the sample SATA drive on my old system which runs IDE on main drive with a SATA/PCI card and still cannot make GS3 able to load the samples. It *seems* that if you have SATA drives, you *need* to have RAID configured.

Wish anyone can shed light on it.

esz

Talking Re: Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Hi,
    I have 2 sata drives, os & apps on one and samples on the other...
    works fine. I have never configured raid. New larger sata HD installed last week, and still fine.
    cheers
    Bryan H

Re: Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan H
    Hi,
    I have 2 sata drives, os & apps on one and samples on the other...
    works fine. I have never configured raid. New larger sata HD installed last week, and still fine.
    cheers
    Bryan H
    Hi Bryan,

Would you mind share the configuration of your machine ? I have the problem which GS3 cannot find my drives in QuickSound. It only succeeds 1 out of 20. If QS can find the drives, it works fine. Otherwise, it crashes when I try to load the samples. I am not sure if it is the problem with the drive, or the motherboard, or the CPU.

thanks.

esz

Cool Re: Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Well I have been meaning to include my config with a signature, but from memory.
    The machine is essentially a "Shuttle" (small format mb) 2.8 mhz intel CPU with 2 gig ram 1 x 80 gig sata and 1x 350 gig sata. Am using "Gigastudio Ensemble" with standalone B4 organ "asio" and "miditrix" for routing midi (great little app) and Audiophile 2496 internal sound card.
    You will probably want more in depth info, MB etc., but without disassembling the machine, I just don't know.
    In the distant past I ran an IDE for the APPS and sata for the samples, and noticed that it would only work well connection wise in one configuration. (ask on the forum if it's worth changing the order or connection of the HDs) I'm sorry this is as far as my experience goes, and I will be suitably out of my depth from here on if not already.
    best of luck
    cheers
    Bryan

Unhappy Re: Anyone with experience using SATA without RAID configuration ?

Hello.

I'm a new member of the forum.

I have a similar problem with my PC (Intel Dual Core, 2Gb RAM). I will check the complete configuration of the same (it is a different one that i'm using for Internet) and I will share with you.
    I have 2 SATA hard drives,the first one for OS and programs and the second one for samples and libraries sounds. I worked well during a couple of days, but now I can not write any audio file in the second hard drive and also I have probles for reading the files in the same.

I will return to you with my configuration if it can help...

Jose

Slightly more to add... this comes from "Key_man" re a post about quicksound issues.

1). Try disabling scanning of VST plugins, or point them to a blank folder. I know, it doesn't seem related, but often it solves many problems.

2). If that doesn't work, go to Program Files/Tascam/ and you'll see a folder called "db". Delete that folder. Restart Gigastudio. It'll ask you whether you want to rebuild your entire database. Select some drives, and say YES. It'll take a long time, and then your database should have been rebuilt from complete scratch, and hopefully solved your issues.

If that doesn't work
    Point Gigastudio's database to a directory with just 5 .gig files. Those 5 should be known to work well, and shouldn't do anything fancy (i.e. they should be pretty basic to load, and very small). Rebuild gigastudio's database, this time, tell the DB to include only THAT one folder (which has 5 .gig files in it). After gigastudio finishes rebuilding the database, it'll show you ONLY that folder and will erase every other folder out of its database (and not out of your computer of course).

Now, work with that database, by using it as regularly as you can. i.e. load instruments from the DB from that folder, or save an instrument that you created from scratch, to that folder. Just do it regularly and see if the DB crashes again. If it doesn't then you know there's a corrupted file somewhere in your database.

This info from "learn Gigastudio"

cheers
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeTo
    Hello.

I'm a new member of the forum.

I have a similar problem with my PC (Intel Dual Core, 2Gb RAM). I will check the complete configuration of the same (it is a different one that i'm using for Internet) and I will share with you.
    I have 2 SATA hard drives,the first one for OS and programs and the second one for samples and libraries sounds. I worked well during a couple of days, but now I can not write any audio file in the second hard drive and also I have probles for reading the files in the same.

I will return to you with my configuration if it can help...

Jose

Is S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the BIOS? It's possible the drive could be bad. I had a drive a month old go bad and S.M.A.R.T. reported it at startup.

RAID has no use, unless you are really making money doing audio / video archiving, or something that justifies using 6 Raptors, and mission critical scenarios.

I considered my gig mission critical and tried using a 3Ware RAID card, and SATA RAID cage, It was a great learning experience, but don't buy the marketing hype. There is no performance gain using RAID 5, 0, or 1. The card only takes the strain off of the CPU, but even then, when there are crashes, the performance of your DAW during the rebuilding process is not capable of letting you finish your live performance or recording for that matter. Of course there are other alternatives such as a 64bit Revo card based off of the reliable RAID 3 config, but you need 6 HDD's to escape the performance loss during a rebuild. But this is the only viable set up for audio.

Sure, RAID 1 is a great back-up, but hardly worth the trouble.

I none the less made out O.K. as I learned from reproducable crashes that hot swapping a drive made from mirroring ( RAID 1 ), was good enough for me. Plus the SATA RAID cage is great for housing your HDD's. It is an excellent cooling, and silencing solution. So what I use RAID for is to make copies of my GigaPulse HDD, as well as my content HDD, and O.S. + Apps HDD also. During the gig, I keep a copy of the OS + Apps in my proximity, but the other HDD's are in the SATA rack, as they would be the first drives to go, since they get a good workout from all of the streaming, while the OS is actually stored in RAM for the most part.

I have used the same HDD's for years w/o incident. All OS HDD's are the 360G's, GigaPulse HDD's are the 740G's, and naturally the content HDD's are the 1500X Raptors. I am prepared, but have never had a crash live or in the studio yet.

If you have the need for a super reliable, fast productive streaming facility, the Revo 64bit SATA RAID 3 card is the answer. But your tracks will be just fine w/o RAID, and it's overhyped uses for musicians. Hell, even big mastering facilities would never get caught using RAID 5, 0, or 1, or 10. 3 is the only way to go if you decide to really go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by esz1080
    I have tried to put the sample SATA drive on my old system which runs IDE on main drive with a SATA/PCI card and still cannot make GS3 able to load the samples. It *seems* that if you have SATA drives, you *need* to have RAID configured.
    Hi esz:

The SATA's should run fine. Here is my system.

1 IDE for OS and software (GS3)
    1 IDE for Convolution impulse
    1 SATA Raptor for Piano Samples
    1 350 GB SATA for other samples.

I used to run a raid system using 2 raptors, and the efficency gain is not worth the risk of data loss. So I do not Raid anymore. The PCI SATA card may not be a good Idea if you are using a soundcard. It may steal bandwith from the sound card. look into it. Do some research on your board. Do you not have onboard SATA controllers. Try those.

Dd

Thanks to all. Some updates:

1. The drives are good. I can install/uninstall VSL samples without problem. GSedit allows me to open and edit the gig files.

2. The behavior is still very erratic. It seems that there is some kind of problem which the QS cannot see *both* partitions ( the OS and the samples ). If it sees it as 1 out of 20, everything runs perfect.

3. I am using both drives on onboard SATA controller.

4. I don't think I need to have RAID enabled/installed as that 1 out of 20 runs smoothly.

5. I did try to blow away the db folder and rebuild the samples. I got that 1 out 20 last night and had GS running while rebuilding the samples. I also rebuild the QS db while I was reinstalling the samples. Ran perfect and everything was smooth as expected. Done and restart GS3, boom !! cannot see any partition.

It *seems* that I may need to have the OS/application drive on the IDE controller ( per ddarwin and Bryan ). I am going to try next couple days and see how it's goes. I am afraid of getting superstitious to make it work.

Thanks much. You guys give a lot of help and advise. Will definitely keep you guys updated.

esz

Go Back to forum