• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Lady of Silences (for orchestra)

Lady of Silences (for orchestra)

This is the piece I have been wrestling with for some time. It is still not finished; you'll notice it ends too abruptly, and in places is skeletal and unrefined. But here it is, anyway.

I started this with etLux's (Dave's) advice in mind: "Take risks". For me, this piece was risky, although I am at a bit of a loss to say exactly why. Maybe the ever-shifting slight dissonances that often evaded or at least taxed my compositional abilities, and trying to find a good climactic point and integrating various motifs effectively in it... all contributed to why this took (is still taking) so long.

And the title, while taken from the poem noted below, also somehow bring to mind for me the title of Dave's piece "A Woman of Windswept Years". Something about both titles' moods that seems to carry a similar feeling for me. So thanks, "etLux" for your advice; it is always good, and though I may not have taken it as far as I may one day, it felt like a step.

It was inspired by and based on lines from T.S. Eliot's poem "Ash Wednesday": Lady of Silences / Calm and Distressed / Torn and most whole / Rose of Memory / Rose of Forgetfulness / Exhausted and Life-giving / Worried reposeful / The single Rose /Is now the Garden/ Where all loves end/ Terminate torment / Of love unsatisfied..." etc

This should automatically open a player on a high-speed line: http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=5744701&q=hi

As always, thanks so much for listening.

Re: Lady of Silences (for orchestra)

Hi, Karen

Despite the note of hesitancy or lack of confidence which seems to be in your text, I find "Lady of Silences" so thoroughly rich and pure in its mood and tone that I feel you can take a deep breath and keep working, knowing that what you have so far is simply- marvelous!

Randy B.

A really good piece befitting its title. Fine interplay between
    the orchestral sections and excellent control of balance.

I heard no offensive dissonances. They all seemed to intermix
    so well with the whole.

A haunting, very effective opening. Captures one's attention
    immediately. At least, it did mine.

A great start, karen. Don't let the Colorado altitude and thin
    air slow you down. This needs completion at the earliest.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Bologna (Italy)

Who is, this "lady of silences?"...
    And "how can we render the idea of silence, when we're using a whole symphonic orchestra?"...

This is what I was wondering, finding myself curious about the title of your composition.

It's amazing how the instruments fit together, it doesn't matter how many and how much they differ from each others: it all sounds so natural, and pleasant!

The dominating feeling is tranquil and placid: proper, perfect, for to describe this lady of silences!... but here and there there's tension and drama... as if to subtly tell that only through hard times she has learnt the value of silence...

I'm looking forward to when you'll have finished this wonderful piece.
    Till now, thank you for sharing your music with all of us!

Ah, David! That man has precious advices! His compositions are amazing (and incredibly complex)!
    "The gold of Captain Rich" - a danbergam's short-movie -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62264

I said goodbye -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55669

"Musico ergo sum."
    "GPO : composer = unicorn : R.P.G. player
    Well, the unicorn is to be imagined... but GPO's real!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2

A great start, karen. Don't let the Colorado altitude and thin
    air slow you down. This needs completion at the earliest.

Thank you both so much Randy and Jack; means alot. Been having a rough few days...

Colorado altitude why the air here is .... uh .... just a minute ... what was I saying ???? Oh, they call Denver the mile-high city. But that's only a paltry 5,000 feet or so. Here is Colorado Springs, we're around 6000, and there's this place I used to live called "Divide" -- at 9100 feet! Enough to make your brain cells lay down and cry "Uncle!" Here, your cakes bake differently. Your sinuses dry out. Your soda runneth over. And your lungs say "huh?" I'm from the Boston, MA area, and when I first came out here, I was a total air-head for the first three days.... I should have mentioned that to any potential visitors!

Thanks, Dan! you slipped in there while I was writing my thank yous just a minute ago!

Wilton, NH

Hi Karen,

I enjoyed Lady of Silences. Very calming. As the others said – you need to finish this.
    Trent P. McDonald

I agree with Trent.

Very nice, Karen!

Please finish this!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I used to live in Groton, Mass. Population 1400. At least it was over 30 years ago. I used to drive from Denver to LA quite a bit so was in your neighborhood there as well. Although my style of composing is quite a bit different from yours, I know quality when I hear it. I agree with the others that you do need to complete this and let us hear the finished product.
    Well done

Penfield (Rochester), NY

This is really lovely and complete. If you hadn't said it was a work in process I would have never known that it was. You must have something in mind to bring it to completion. So go with it!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast