• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Short and Sweet and Sour (2nd movement)

Share/Bookmark

Short and Sweet and Sour (2nd movement)

Earlier I posted the first movement of this and someone said it needed more bass. So I added a bass clarinet to the 2 flutes and 2 clarinets. These are all from Jabb. I am not completely happy with either of these so any suggestions would be helpful. I am also not sure what order these will go until I have composed the other 2 or 3 movements. But will display them here in the order composed.

Here is the first:

http://www.box.net/shared/z85osflb62

Here is the second

http://www.box.net/shared/pbuz9rperb

I am still trying to get the sounds right thru Garritan Studio.

Re: Short and Sweet and Sour (2nd movement)

Hi, Rolifer

This is my favorite piece from you so far! - I really like its playfulness - it's rippling along best of what I've heard previously from you, and the addition to the Bass Clarinet was an excellent choice.

Seems like a bit more metallicy rasp in the Clarinets than I'm used to hearing. Are you doing something extreme in the eq for this?

I'd use less reverb. -- What aren't You happy with re: the sound you're getting through Studio?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy,
    I just haven't found the right combination of knob turning to come up with the right levels of everything yet. In a month, I will no longer use Studio (sib5 and GPO doesn't require studio) so I have sort of given up on playing with the dials. I didn't save the settings I was using, so I might have had the eq wierd or the damping or the??????

I keep trying though.
    Thanks for the listen
    Ron

Hi, Ron - You may have said why on an earlier thread, but right now I can't remember why you're wanting to do your work with notation programs instead of a sequencer?

It's certainly easier to get levels and a good recording in a sequencer like Sonar, and then there's the bonus of being able to Play the notes. No keyboard maybe? or maybe just no desire to play a keyboard--or? --

Your reply just made me think, again, of how difficult notation programs can be to make music with. I Totally understand that having printed music is of prime importance to some people--just wasn't sure that was your prime goal, a nice looking printed score?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I bought a Midi keyboard that has a spring loaded mod wheel. From what I have read that sort of makes it worthless. I started all this about a year ago and know nothing except what I have taught myself while trying to go to college and work. I have been composing in my head all my life, but last year I bought sib4 and started to put notes down. I really don't know how else to do it at this point. Is there a place that describes what exactly a sequencer does? My ignorance is what really seems to hold me back.

Hey Ron,

Glad you decided to add the bass clarinet. I used it quite a bit in Monarch and have a great respect for that instruments unique voice.

I am so surprised by this work! There is so much motion and dialog from each voice yet the work holds a smooth cohesiveness that is a pleasure to follow. I recognize your chord progressions, or voice, right away and enjoyed the blur between consonance and dissonance.

The only thing I was waiting to hear was a resting point. A small part where the instruments relaxed and gave a bit of contrast to the frantic web of textures. However, this did not hinder my enjoyment and is only based on how my ear works - you could say.

Great job Ron!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hey Michael,

As always thanks for the listen. These are both so short that it would not be difficult to toss in a calmer section. Just gotta wait for the muse to sober up again. My muse went overtime to comeup with the last one in the other place so quick. Fortunately I am now taking 6 classes this semester, so I will have plenty of opportunities to compose instead of study. I do my best composing when I am supposed to be studying.
    I have used the bass clarinet in a few other pieces as well and also enjoy it. It takes a while to get it right in Jabb, but I am learning.
    Thanks again for the Bass Clarinet and the others!!!!!

Randy,
    I took your suggestion and toned down the reverb and think it has helped. I messed around with the other dials as well.
    About Sonar. I am a full time student. I am poor. And BTW did I mention I am poor. I am getting a larger loan this semester to purchase a new computer instead of the dinosaur I am currently using, and sib5 and GPO. Unless there is a decent sequencer out there for under 100$, It has to wait a while.
    But my goal is not so much to have pretty scores as to have good music.

Thaks again
    Ron

Ron,

This is a true performers piece. While very pleasant to the ear of the audience, I could virtually see the body movement and expressions of the musicians as they plyed. This sort of relentlessly driving music was so very much a part of the early 1900s music and seems to have been lost in recent years.

Thank you.

Hello again, Ron - Thanks for answering some questions I had in my last reply. And, cool beans about trying out a bit less reverb.

OK, so it's as I thought, that actually you're more interested in playing, composing and recording music rather than in making nice looking print outs.

"...Unless there is a decent sequencer out there for under 100$, It has to wait a while. But my goal is not so much to have pretty scores as to have good music..."

OK, and so I also understand you're on a tight budget. Well, I know there are several versions of Cakewalk under $100. Poke around at their site - easy to find, http://www.cakewalk.com and read up on the various versions.

AND, here's a hand link to REAPER - a shareware program that a lot of people think is just as good as the big companies' sequencer programs, and more hip because it's a grass-roots kind of thing, radical, anti-big-business and all that good stuff. I'm not sure what they're asking in the way of donation - less than $50 I think--!

CHECK IT OUT --

Here's a great endorsement - I do believe Forum member HANNES is a Reaper user. Use the Search engine here at the Garritan Forums, you might find some posts with him talking about the program.

And when you go to the above link, be sure to click "more info" towards the right. It'll take you to a Forum for Reaper users with a great screen shot of the latest greatest version which was just released this month!

GO forth and get what you Really want to work with!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Ron,

This is a true performers piece. While very pleasant to the ear of the audience, I could virtually see the body movement and expressions of the musicians as they plyed. This sort of relentlessly driving music was so very much a part of the early 1900s music and seems to have been lost in recent years.

Thank you.
    Thanks Tom, My favorite composer has always been Prokofiev and he fits nicely into that time frame.

Randy, I have checked into your suggestions and will look into both sequencers more this weekend.
    Thanks again
    Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast