• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Little Rachmaninoff

Share/Bookmark

A Little Rachmaninoff

In an attempt to learn Finale better, I put together this short excerpt from Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2 in E Minor, Opus 27. This is from the "Adagio" (3rd) movement- the same one that Eric Carmen made popular in 1975 with his "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" pop song rendering. This movement is in A Major. The excerpt is simply marked "51" in the score, but it is some of the best music in the entire symphony (IMHO!)

This is rendered strictly with Finale 2008 (with Human Playback) and Garritan Personal Orchestra KP2.

Enjoy.
    http://musichostr.com/music/16

Keith W.
    UPDATED: Added some Convo. Reverb in KP2 KSW-9/6/07

Re: A Little Rachmaninoff

Keith,

I think that you are off to a very good start with this. The selection of instruments and balance seems to work well. I see you use Finale with Human Playback. I do too and love it.

The one thing it seems to be very flat acoustically, lacking depth that some reverb would give it. Have you turned On the Ambience? You can find it under MIDI/Native Instrument VST Setup. This is where you select the VST instruements for playback. There is a checkbox for Ambience Reverb and if checked will turn on the Garritan Ambience Reverb. You can get to its control panel by selecting Edit. I use most of the default settings there. I usually back the Decay down to around 1000-1100 and Diffusion to Around 25-50% (depending on the piece) to lower the echo time, and the Dry slider about 2/3-3/4 f the way right. Of course you can experiment with the controls as the music is playing to give you a feeling of the changes. It is best to make a note of the intial settings in case you stay to far.

Hope to hear for of the Rachmaninoff here in the near future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Do you have the little box checked that says, "play Finale through VST"?

Look in the MIDI/AUDIO menu to verify this.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 09-06-2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: corrections
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Keith,

I think that you are off to a very good start with this. The selection of instruments and balance seems to work well. I see you use Finale with Human Playback. I do too and love it.

The one thing it seems to be very flat acoustically, lacking depth that some reverb would give it. Have you turned On the Ambience? You can find it under MIDI/Native Instrument VST Setup. This is where you select the VST instruements for playback. There is a checkbox for Ambience Reverb and if checked will turn on the Garritan Ambience Reverb. You can get to its control panel by selecting Edit. I use most of the default settings there. I usually back the Decay down to around 1000-1100 and Diffusion to Around 25-50% (depending on the piece) to lower the echo time, and the Dry slider about 2/3-3/4 f the way right. Of course you can experiment with the controls as the music is playing to give you a feeling of the changes. It is best to make a note of the intial settings in case you stay to far.

Hope to hear for of the Rachmaninoff here in the near future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    I'm using an Intel Mac for this, and, alas, the builtin reverb doesn't work. I may rework it with the K2P Convo. Reverb, but for now, that's the only option. Thanks for commenting.

Keith W.

I like this keith. Rachmaninoff was one serious dude. Eric carment did song I think called 'all by myself' which I thought was supposed to be based on a Rachmaninoff theme. Is this a different song than you are referring to. Anyway, I like what you did.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I like this keith. Rachmaninoff was one serious dude. Eric carment did song I think called 'all by myself' which I thought was supposed to be based on a Rachmaninoff theme. Is this a different song than you are referring to. Anyway, I like what you did.
    -Jay
    "All By Myself" was also Rachmaninoff. From the 2nd Piano Concerto.

Hey, Keith

Nice piece. Maybe the HP can be made even more loose? - Or is it slight tempo variation I'm missing? It's sounding a bit mechanical perhaps for several reasons. I hear Legato in the strings at times, but the recording still has kind of a chugging choppiness to it--?

"...I may rework it with the K2P Convo. Reverb, but for now, that's the only option..."

That'd be worth the effort, because this does need some air around the notes, and the convolution reverb is much better than the Ambience anyway--You said it's the only option, but it's the better option, so I'd say try it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hey, Keith

Nice piece. Maybe the HP can be made even more loose? - Or is it slight tempo variation I'm missing? It's sounding a bit mechanical perhaps for several reasons. I hear Legato in the strings at times, but the recording still has kind of a chugging choppiness to it--?

"...I may rework it with the K2P Convo. Reverb, but for now, that's the only option..."

That'd be worth the effort, because this does need some air around the notes, and the convolution reverb is much better than the Ambience anyway--You said it's the only option, but it's the better option, so I'd say try it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for the feedback, Randy. The currently posted version does have some Convo. reverb, maybe not enough. I will play with the HP settings and try to get it sounding a little more "rubato."

Keith

Off to a fine start on this, Keith; balancing that is tricky,
    and you've got that in good order.

I'd agree this could do with more "room" around it; and,
    of course, a little more flexibility and expansiveness in
    the tempo management.

Keep it coming! Sergei Rachmaninoff's a great favorite of
    mine!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Just a very little Rachmaninoff. Nice start. I’ll agree with the others that it needs something to give it more room, make it feel like it is occupying space.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum