• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: MOUNT PELION (Centaurs and all that!) with CMB

Share/Bookmark

MOUNT PELION (score pdf now posted in thread) w/CMB

I'm in the middle (a little PAST the middle hopefully ) of an upper high school/college level symphonic band piece, Mount Pelion. Mt. Pelion is in Greece, and was the supposed residence of the Centaurs of Greek mythology. I have finished the first two movements...

1st movement: Ascent and Revelation
    2nd movement: Nessus' Frolic

Nessus was a bit of a recalcitrant centaur, with a penchant for drunken brawls at weddings and seducing women (he tried getting it on with Hercules' wife, so Hercules nailed him -- quite fatally -- with his bow and arrow; I guess he was also a pretty STUPID centaur!)

I've combined the first two movements into one file here in order provide a more contiguous feel to the piece. (2nd mvt. only is also on the CMB link of the Garritan website -- I've tweaked the mix just a bit in the version here).

Hope you enjoy listening to the first two movements; third movement is in progress, with a projected completion date about six, maybe seven years from now.

Danny

http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Pelion1and2.mp3 (this is all with CMB, by the way)

Re: MOUNT PELION (Centaurs and all that!) with CMB

WOW! That is great!

Very nice composing and arranging, Danny! And, the percussion and drums..., very cooool used!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Danny,

Great writing and use of the CMB. This is certainly in the proficiency range stated and will require a lot of discipline even then. It is a very exciting piece, and when finish should get the audience cheering.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

In the version I read, Nessus as he was dying, convinced Hercules' wife that his blood was a Love potion. He told her to put it on Hercules Clothes which she of course did. Of course his blood was poison and Hercules was in such torment that he built a fire and lied down in it, at which point the Gods took pity and put him in the stars. I used to love Mythology and your music blends well with it. The percussion is great.
    I look forward to the next movement.

Ron

Your harmonies have the most delightful surprises, and the transitional control you incorporate between sections is nearly flawless. The ending, however, caught me completely off guard. I expected the typical cliche but instead subtlety ruled and it all flowed to a natural and satisfying end.

Thank you for such sharing your talents.

Hi, Danny

AH--THank you for this big juicy slice of superb musicianship (composition and arrangement) rendered beautifully through the new CMB library!

You are doing such a fantastic job of showing off the musicality of the new Garritan group of instruments--while simultaneously treating us to such excellent, well orchestrated pieces. BIG applause @ U.

Every so often throughout this, there were moments when I was wishing for a bit less perfection in the note-On events, like I was needing a bit more live-playing style "sloppiness." But for the most part I was just going with the exciting flow of your music.

THANKS!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I think there is a lot of drama in this. I like it very much. Nice composing and arranging.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    WOW! That is great!

Very nice composing and arranging, Danny! And, the percussion and drums..., very cooool used!

Best,

Gunther
    Thanks very much, Gunther! Glad you enjoyed...

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Danny,

Great writing and use of the CMB. This is certainly in the proficiency range stated and will require a lot of discipline even then. It is a very exciting piece, and when finish should get the audience cheering.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks for your kind comments, Gary! I'm glad you found some excitment in it... hopefully an "live" audience will as well sometime down the line.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    In the version I read, Nessus as he was dying, convinced Hercules' wife that his blood was a Love potion. He told her to put it on Hercules Clothes which she of course did. Of course his blood was poison and Hercules was in such torment that he built a fire and lied down in it, at which point the Gods took pity and put him in the stars. I used to love Mythology and your music blends well with it. The percussion is great.
    I look forward to the next movement.

Ron
    Thanks, Ron... yeah, that Nessus was a pretty creepy centaur! I'm basing the third mvt. on the Giant twins who pile Mount Pelion on top of Mount Thessaly to try to overthrow the gods on Mount Olympus -- and fail miserably, of course (as Homer Simpson would say: "silly giants"). Glad you enjoyed...

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Your harmonies have the most delightful surprises, and the transitional control you incorporate between sections is nearly flawless. The ending, however, caught me completely off guard. I expected the typical cliche but instead subtlety ruled and it all flowed to a natural and satisfying end.

Thank you for such sharing your talents.
    Thanks for much for your response, Tom. I'm glad I was able to surprise you a bit!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser
    Hi, Danny

AH--THank you for this big juicy slice of superb musicianship (composition and arrangement) rendered beautifully through the new CMB library!

You are doing such a fantastic job of showing off the musicality of the new Garritan group of instruments--while simultaneously treating us to such excellent, well orchestrated pieces. BIG applause @ U.

Every so often throughout this, there were moments when I was wishing for a bit less perfection in the note-On events, like I was needing a bit more live-playing style "sloppiness." But for the most part I was just going with the exciting flow of your music.

THANKS!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hello to you Randy, and thanks for your observations and impressions. I certainly do appreciate it.

I also agree whole-heartedly with you on the "Note-on" deal. I edit all midi parameters like crazy (velocity, mod wheel volume, et al) to try to achieve that "imperfect human" sound (without being TOO sloppy!), and I do think I could have "scooched" some note start times around a bit more. Just one of the caveats concerning the import process of notation files into a DAW; that is a new art unto itself, for sure!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I think there is a lot of drama in this. I like it very much. Nice composing and arranging.
    Thanks, jaynkate! I teach high school, so I'm exposed to a lot of drama on a daily basis... I guess it's bound to creep into my "other life"!

Danny

Hey, what did you use to make this? Did you sequence this in with a DAW or did you use a notation program?
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves
    Hey, what did you use to make this? Did you sequence this in with a DAW or did you use a notation program?
    Hi Craig,

If I'm composing with an eye towards possible performance and/or publication (as with this one), I compose entirely in Finale then transport the midi files into Sonar for some heavy-duty midi and audio editing. Then I take a nap.

If I'm doing a "no-score-necessary" project, I almost always just start right off sequencing away in Sonar.

Thanks for your interest!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast