• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELP ME with MY NEW DAW PLEASE

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation HELP ME with MY NEW DAW PLEASE

I bought a new DAW after 4 years (finally ) but I have terrible problems:

here is the situation....

I've installed windows x64 to check if maybe I'll get it running as a DAW and have 4GB RAM for 32bit app.....

everything worked ok to one moment....
    I began to instal NI plugins....
    Installed Kontakt 2 and Stormdrum - both still in demo mode..... and:
    1) there are slow loading times
    2) the audio of two plugins playing at once is corrupted badly and VST performance meter jumps in Cubase

no matter it's life listening or offline export I have this type of recording:
    http://www.kulmusic.com/test.wav
    it's just random notes and samples in Stormdrum....

os I might have a hardware problem becasue the same crappy audio and long time loading of plugins in Cubase is the same for 64bit XP and 32 bit XP HE

My DAW Spec are as follows:
    Intel Core 2 QUad Q6600
    P35-DS4 Gigabyte Mobo
    4GB RAM (2x2GB OCZ)
    HDD1 (OS): HDD 250GB SATA II Caviar WD2500KS 16MB
    HDD2 (Samples): WD 500GB, SATA/300, 8MB (WD5000ABYS) RAID Edition
    Graphic Card: eVGA GF 7900 GS

Sound Card: M-audio FW410

What I have installed so far:
    Cubase SL 3 (latest)
    Kontakt 2 (latest)
    Stormdrum (latest)
    DFD Extension (latest)
    and normal stuff:
    mobo,graphic card, lan card and etc. drivers

Disk Drives are set to operate in AHCI Mode,,, in the Mobo manual it was written that it's for the NCQ support for example.....

Problem don't exist when using only one plugin in Cubase... two or more gives the distortion.....

PLEASE HELP... any clues would be helpfull

Re: HELP ME with MY NEW DAW PLEASE

I found something very interesting......

If I open Windows Task Manager, go to Processes TAB and right-mouse-click on CubaseSl3.exe process
    I can open a dialog which is called : "Set Affinity"...
    In there I can select which CPUs the process will be allowed to execute on.
    so I have 4 checkboxes: CPU 0,1,2,3

If only CPU 0 is selected then Cubase with multiple stormdrums plays fine....
    if more then one is checked then:
    VST Performance meter in Cubase is jumping like crazy up to 100% and the sound is distorted and I have drop-outs.....

so I bought 4core processor to use 1 core in Cubase SL ?????

or maybe Cubase SL is not ready for Multiple Cores ??????

"Quad (or more) processor systems: Cubase and Nuendo version 3.1 or higher include support for more than two physical processors. Such systems benefit from all processor and dynamic multiprocessor support in the same way as dual processor systems."

See "Advanced Multiprocessor Support in Steinberg Cubase SL/SX 3.1 and 3.1 Nuendo" which lies here:

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/redaktion/PDF/multiprocessing/Multiprocessing_Tech_Info.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    "Quad (or more) processor systems: Cubase and Nuendo version 3.1 or higher include support for more than two physical processors. Such systems benefit from all processor and dynamic multiprocessor support in the same way as dual processor systems."

See "Advanced Multiprocessor Support in Steinberg Cubase SL/SX 3.1 and 3.1 Nuendo" which lies here:

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/redaktion/PDF/multiprocessing/Multiprocessing_Tech_Info.pdf
    So... Hypertreading OFF and reinstall everything ???

I also went in Cubase to Device Setup > Vst Audiobay > Expoert... and unchecked "Multi Processing" and it helps...

Hello Luk!

I may be mistaken but neither Nuendo nor Cubase are tested or supported under WinXP64 at this moment. And if you can trust the moderators in the Steinberg Forums, it never will be. Same goes for literally all plugins and VSTi's out there.

I am afraid you will have a very hard time trying to get it to work...

The upside is, we may see an update to Cubase soon (in Steinberg Speech this translates to: "Sometime early 2008, most probably as a 200US$ upgrade to Cubase 5"... They did similar things to the SX3 userbase) which is supposed to make Cubase4 work in Vista64. That way you could at least use your sequencer! When all the other plugins will be updated to be 64bit compatible.... Who knows..
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hello Luk!

I may be mistaken but neither Nuendo nor Cubase are tested or supported under WinXP64 at this moment.
    I know... but as I written above:
    "crappy audio and long time loading of plugins in Cubase is the same for 64bit XP and 32 bit XP HE"

so in 32bit Home eidtion it's the same problem....
    which I've already managed to resolve

I am happy you were able to fix it! Sorry for misreading your 1st posting! To my defense I have to add that I was tired and confused.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

lukpcn,

How exactly did you resolve this?

I have this problem on one of my PC's that's using a Firewire410 too

It worked awesome until I swapped the AMD64 3500+ with AMD64 5200+ X2 dual core.
    And now the sound is pure crap.
    I don't have Cubase on it, but it doesn't matter what application I'm using - K2, itunes, anything - it's all a garbage sound.

Searching the net, I'm reading the problem is the firewire needs to be a texas instruments firewire. But I'm down playing it because it worked fine until I changed to a dual core.

I swapped the Firewire410 with an older usb interface and it works fine, albeit unstable as it always was. However, the usb lacks s/pdif, which was what the Firewire410 was used for.

I was just going to chuck the Firewire410 and get something else. But, I would like to save a few bucks and get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk
    lukpcn,

How exactly did you resolve this?

I have this problem on one of my PC's that's using a Firewire410 too

It worked awesome until I swapped the AMD64 3500+ with AMD64 5200+ X2 dual core.
    And now the sound is pure crap.
    I don't have Cubase on it, but it doesn't matter what application I'm using - K2, itunes, anything - it's all a garbage sound.

Searching the net, I'm reading the problem is the firewire needs to be a texas instruments firewire. But I'm down playing it because it worked fine until I changed to a dual core.

I swapped the Firewire410 with an older usb interface and it works fine, albeit unstable as it always was. However, the usb lacks s/pdif, which was what the Firewire410 was used for.

I was just going to chuck the Firewire410 and get something else. But, I would like to save a few bucks and get it working.
    Hi Aaron,
    I think that Your problem is different....
    I have problem only with two NI plugins of the same kind (for example stormdrum) playing together in Cubase.... my solution that came to my mind was to copy Stormdrum.dll to Stormdrum2.dll and now to Cubase they are two different NI plugs so no pops/cracks....

Your peoblem I think is connected with the Firewire interface.... TI is the best....I can tell You from my experience with FW410....

I'm also dealing with problem of kontakt 2 not loading properly as a plugin in win x64 (while in xp home 32bit it's ok).....

I think of using kontakt as a standalone to be able to stay in Win 64bit environment and be able to utilize more RAM....

FWIW -

I have run Cubase SX3 on Windows XP x64 and it runs great. I used it with both MOTU 828MkII and EMU 1820m sound cards (separately). Both provided 64-bit drivers and both worked great. I was able to load up about 2G samples within Cubase itself, plus about 2.75G of samples in Forte at the same time - all 32-bit apps.

I have a dual-core 2.4Ghz Asus P5WDH with 6G ram.

So it is possible.

- buzz

Go Back to forum