• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Your view on "Guitar Hero"?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT - Your view on "Guitar Hero"?

My children bought guitar hero yesterday. Although I did not have time to sit and observe it thoroughly, my first thought was how in the world does this game (if at all) teach anything about musical techniques on guitar? From what I gather in the brief time (no, I wasn't in my briefs at the time) *sick* you follow a band on screen playing this plastic guitar wired to the console by pushing (fingering) four or five colored buttons? Wait, I have to check this thing out better tonight in order to really make an educated comment. So, anyone here who has experienced "guitar hero" game/software/whatever, please enlighten me. However, as a once and now defunct music educator, I can't imagine this teaching anyone how to really play guitar!
    What hit me most was when my three children asked if they can have "real" guitars because they now can play higher levels on the game. What ever does that mean? I'm sooooo confused!
    Styxx

Re: OT - Your view on "Guitar Hero"?

I have GH and GH2, and have played guitar for 30 years. It's not going to teach them how to play a real guitar. Here's my take:

Things they can learn:
    1) Rhythm
    2) Coordinating their hands, doing different things at the same time
    3) Some small amount of ear training, linking what they hear with what they see and what their hands do
    4) What a hammer-on and pull-off are (not how to do one, but the concept)
    5) The idea that they have to practice to get better

Unfortunately, especially for beginners, I think it can be very frustrating to go from "rocking out" on GH to painfully sucking for a year on the real thing...

loyd

Thanks Loyd
    Kind of puts things in a bit of perspective. I'll be checking it out better tonight along with me boys. Hey, no Drum Hero?
    Styxx

Drum Hero would actually teach something useful. Something they could take to the real instrument.

Guitar Hero, OTOH, Teaches what Loyd said.. - thats it. I work at a Music store, and tons of kids come to take lessons at our store; they just mastered "Freebird on Expert" from GH, and think they can do the real thing - yet never come back for a second lesson.

GH, IMO, makes guitar playing seem too easy, and it wastes peoples time. Why play a game, when you could be playing the real thing??

~Fire
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I saw it in the store and played with it a bit, and it seemed to have no realationship to really playing a guitar. I thought they should maybe have an intermediate version teaching chords and advanced versions teaching advanced chords and more. But i guess that wouldn't be that usefull, because a guitar and guitar lessons would be better suited for that.

Maybe someone could market a low priced student guitar that has different colors of l.e.d.'s lighting up chords on the fingerboard.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Drum Hero would actually teach something useful. Something they could take to the real instrument.

Guitar Hero, OTOH, Teaches what Loyd said.. - thats it. I work at a Music store, and tons of kids come to take lessons at our store; they just mastered "Freebird on Expert" from GH, and think they can do the real thing - yet never come back for a second lesson.

GH, IMO, makes guitar playing seem too easy, and it wastes peoples time. Why play a game, when you could be playing the real thing??

~Fire
    I agree. I teach at our music store and have found a lot of young students have a great desire for results but not the work to achieve.
    Styxx

Funny. Every musician I talk to is angry about Guitar Hero. I bought GH2 for my sister's family. The entire family is addicted to it.

Its a game folks, not training software.

Interestingly, my sister who is a classically trained pianist, is the most addicted of the the entire family...particularly speed metal, which is not something she would normally listen to. If you can seperate yourself from the idea that its supposed to be some kind of virtual reality guitar playing in your own mind...and treat it for what it is...an xbox game...it can be a lot of fun, though I understand some of the boredom behind it also, being a guitar player myself.

Still, my 10 year old nephew is definitely learning quickly how to "groove" and though I keep hammering on him about up/down picking techniques...he can't bring himself to do it yet, but he will eventually if he wants to succeed in Hard mode. My brother law has never played a musical instrument. In the beginning he was struggling a lot with rythmn, but after a month he is hammering out the songs man. He is learning rythmn absolutely.

Yes, it does teach some musical skills, but the real truth about this "game" is that it allows non-musicians to experience a bit of what its like to rock out with a rock band...that is the whole point. For many of us, it will always pale in comparison to the real thing.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Why play a game, when you could be playing the real thing??
    Because it's fun?

Soon there will be a game called Rock Band available. People will be able to play drums, guitar, bass, and sing together on the same game console. It should be out this fall.

Nobody I know actually thinks the game is more than a game. It is very fun though, and I'd say it gives a pretty decent approximation of the feeling you get playing an instrument on stage, even if you have no musical talent.

As a musician (keyboards, guitar, and vocals) myself, I see nothing really negative about the game at all.
    Will Loconto
    www.WillLoconto.com

AFAIK, the real thing is supposed to be fun, too.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Lightbulb Re: OT - Your view on "Guitar Hero"?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Thanks Loyd
    Kind of puts things in a bit of perspective. I'll be checking it out better tonight along with me boys. Hey, no Drum Hero?
    No, but there's always Sousaphone Hero

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Go Back to forum