• Register
  • Help

Topic: Template?

Share/Bookmark

Template?

I finally got Kontakt 2 after years of using only Logic's EXS24. I will be mostly running it as a standalone going into Logic, which I am already able to do successfully with Soundflower.

I would like however to set up a template with 16 blank instruments so that I can set up their output and midi channel assignments and then just add instruments to it when I need them, without it changing these assignments. The manual does not seem to tell me how to do this.

Is this possible in Kontakt 2?
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re: Template?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic

...I would like however to set up a template with 16 blank instruments so that I can set up their output and midi channel assignments and then just add instruments to it when I need them, without it changing these assignments. The manual does not seem to tell me how to do this.

Is this possible in Kontakt 2?

Yes. At the very top of the "Load and Save" menu there's a command for making a New Instrument. If you click it. a new (blank) instrument appears , and Kontakt assigns sequential MIDI channels autonatically.

Make "New Instruments" as needed. Assign I/O to them as required. Save the resulting "Multi", to recall whenever you are setting up a new work.

This dummy Multi will get the suffix ".NKM". When you later drag an ".NKI" file onto one of the blank placeholder instruments, it will replace your original.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lallis
    Yes. At the very top of the "Load and Save" menu there's a command for making a New Instrument. If you click it. a new (blank) instrument appears , and Kontakt assigns sequential MIDI channels autonatically.

Make "New Instruments" as needed. Assign I/O to them as required. Save the resulting "Multi", to recall whenever you are setting up a new work.

This dummy Multi will get the suffix ".NKM". When you later drag an ".NKI" file onto one of the blank placeholder instruments, it will replace your original.

Larry

Thanks Larry!

www.jayasher.com

OK I set it up. Now I drag and drop a instrument into a dummy slot and it does not seem to remember the output assignment.

www.jayasher.com

OK I set it up. Now I drag and drop a instrument into a dummy slot and it does not seem to remember the output assignment.

Damn. I could swear I once made that work, Jay.

...and I see it still does. You likely have a more complex rig than I, since everybody does. But my MIDI channel stays fixed, audio output does not change, and everything plays once dropped onto the template.

But I have only one audio output specified for all of K2. Is there a way for yours to be reverting to a default and hosing you that way?

We nay have to wait for a Kontakt expert like Nickie to suggest what has gone wrong.

Larry

I talked to N.I. tech support and output assignments are saved with .nki files so if I drag a new instrument into a template slot it is going to change the output assignment unless I go into each and every .nki and assign an output and re-save it.

This was not the answer I was hoping for but such is life.

www.jayasher.com

...output assignments are saved with .nki files so if I drag a new instrument into a template slot it is going to change the output assignment unless I go into each and every .nki and assign an output and re-save it.

And if you never use more than one K2 output in the first place, you never notice that. Sorry it worked out so.

Still, you may be able to turn the template idea to account in some other way. I have some .NKM's for jazz groups, saved with frequently-used instruments (not blank ones) plugged in. It spares a few minutes of tedium at times, and it preserve your outputs. You build up a library of favorite sections for quick access.

A guy on another forum taught me the methodology.

In a new Multi open 16 Instrument Banks and assign each one to the respective outputs. It automatically assigns the midi channels.

N.I.'s implementation of this what should be a straight ahead bit of setup makes no sense IMHO but maybe I will come to see the wisdom of it after I have worked with it longer.

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum