• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Sound sets

Share/Bookmark

GPO Sound sets

Hi ! I'm using the GPO Sibelius Edition (with Sib. 4) + Kontakt Gold Player and have a burning question: I was working on a new score using the Chamber Ensembles Sound Set, and alkthough I liked the delicacy of this set, I felt that the overall sound was weak. So I set up new scores and played them back using other sound sets which had the same instruments and noticed huge differences in the loudness, and in the attack and general tone quality.

I meticulously checked to ensure that mixer /playback/Kontakt Gold settings were the same. So - how can there be differences ? I'd like to understand this, so I can work creatively with this.

What happens to the sound of the instruments when using GPO SE with Sib. 5 ,where I understand that there are no groupings into sound sets ?

Would be VERYgrateful for enlightening replies ! Thanks, SeaDream

Re: GPO Sound sets

Hi, SeaDream

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but this sounds to me like a lack of cc#1 problem. The mod wheel, which generates cc1, is basically the volume control of the instruments. Without any cc1 data in a piece the levels will range from extremely low to inaudible.

As your manual explains, cc1 is intended to be used in an ever-changing way throughout a piece. I see you're using a notation program, Sibelius- I believe you are limited to the volume changes you can squeeze out of the use of "hairpins." Or is there a Piano Roll View where a more complex use of MIDI data can be added?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: GPO Sound sets

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDream
    I set up new scores and played them back using other sound sets which had the same instruments and noticed huge differences in the loudness, and in the attack and general tone quality.
    Looking at the sound sets in Sibelius 4, the individual text files in the GPO library directory, and comparing waveforms from recordings with identical instruments using Chamber Ensembles and Modern Orchestra sound sets I can't find anything which would account for the difference. I can't hear a difference myself, though I've not paid a great deal of attention to this particular aspect of GPO, assuming that identical instruments, coming from identical files, would sound the same unless Sibelius has some overall, different, volume setting for each of the GPO sound sets. If that's the case, I can't find it and so can't find a way to vary it.

Sibelius may also have used different volume, distance and panning settings for individual instrument when setting up the various Manuscript Paper templates supplied with the program, though I've never noticed a difference. Mind you, I might have missed something, since I don't usually use their templates.

Go Back to forum