• Register
  • Help

Topic: By way of introduction

By way of introduction

I'm not an official GPO user yet, but I have made the commitment to upgrade my hardware so I can get GPO just as soon as humanly possible. In the mean time, by way of introducing myself, here's a non-GPO composition of mine; The Elf King.

It was originally written for string quartet, but the solo string sounds sounds I had access to were so dreadful that last week I re-cast it for chamber orchestra.

Based on the Geothe poem Der Erlkönig, this tells the story of a man's desperate rush by horseback through the forest to save his sick child. The child, on the other hand, in his fever sees the Erlkönig, or "elf king" calling for him to come dance and play. "Will you dear boy, will you come with me My daughters soon they will wait on you; My daughters lead in the nightly dance And sway and dance and beckon to you." The man tells his son to ignore the calls, but in the end the boy succumbs to the invitation to go live with the elf king. The rhythm of the piece closely follows the verbal rhythms of the poem in the original German, and the point of view changes back and forth form the father, to the child's view of the elf king inviting to join in the games.

"Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
    Es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind;
    Er hat den Knaben wohl in dem Arm,
    Er faßt ihn sicher, er hält ihn warm. ..."

--gary shannon

Re: By way of introduction

Hey Gary,
    Great job! Enjoyed the playful and whimsical waltz styling and the sudden marcato string passages for energy and motion! Your quite the "storyteller" with the orchestra. Wonderful little interludes with the softer wind section. Although some of the wind soloing over the strings was a bit "harsh" and may need some "softening" - maybe with re-verb? But this did not hinder my enjoyment of your work. And a wonderful little pizzicato ending that makes one smile! Again - great job!

Can't wait for you to get the GPO and show us this work again!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Hi, Fiziwig - This is Great that you've posted this "by way of introduction." I've followed your thread in the General Discussion with your questions about GPO and the various technical upgrades you'll need to go through - I contributed to that thread too.

So I was really interested when I saw your name here in The Listening Room. - What a really fun, vigorous piece! NICely orchestrated! - You know, the recording also sounds fine, considering that traditional synths aren't the best way of getting natural sounding orchestral pieces recorded.

OH MAn, you are going to have FUN with GPO once you get all set up. Obviously, you are totally ready to give the Garritan library an excellent work out, since we can hear your musical savvy and expertise very clearly in the music you've posted here.

Thanks for the great music, and best of luck with setting up your new-improved home studio!

Randy B.

Excellent job on this, Gary!

Not only are you going to love GPO, I think it's going to love you, too... lol!

Much enjoyed!

My best,

Wilton, NH

When I see the title I of course think Schubert. Though I love the Schubert I’m glad you did something totally different. I think your orchestration is very successful. When you have GPO up and running you will have to post this again with a before and after.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks all for the kind words.

I've downloaded Reaper as part of my move from the hardware world to the software world. I unhooked my old Alesis hardware reverb, which was getting flakey, and re-recorded the elf king piece adding EQ, compression and proper reverb. The results are much better. No more clipping on the crescendos. Next big step, get that GPO library and start making REAL music!

--gary shannon

As a child, my mother told me this story and I found it really disturbing. I guess for a child with a vivid imagination as I had, this brings up very scary images. Of course even today when I listen to the Schubert Lied, I get shivers down my spine.

Your composition on this text is very effectif and it still gave me shivers.... I think you did an outstanding work on this. Your orchestration is wonderful, and I think you will do incredible work once you have GPO! I am looking forward to that.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum