• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Salsa Challenge

Share/Bookmark

The Salsa Challenge

After recieving comments that my entry in Challenge #14 could have a better mix I remixed the piece using Sonar and a few lessons.

Here is my:

Hot Spanish Nights
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Salsa Challenge

For some reason it is giving this message even though mp3's usally just open in itunes or quicktime on a mac:

The page “The Salsa Challenge - eSnips, share anything” has content of MIME type “application/x-mplayer2”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/

Do you want to open the page?

The problem is it isn't a plugin, but it's windows media player. I would like to listen to your piece, but don't want to install windows media player. Esnips must be imbedding this requirement into your mp3, or something.

Leaf - I'm not sure why that is that way, must be an esnips requirement. I will try and upload it to soundclick.

Here is the Soundclick Link: Hot Spanish Nights

Challenge #10 Winner

Esnips doesn't work for me the way it's set up. But here's the neat work around which usually works - I click on the Esnips MP3 widget demo which is there for the user to try out. That takes you to another page where the correct tune will be playing in the widget. - Try that, Leaf.

Nice, Bill! - I really liked your Salsa when the Challenge event was going. There are some subtle changes in this new mix - better panning, it sounds like, for one thing. It's still extremely dry, like when the trumpet comes in, it seems even drier than the rest. That opening high bass line still sounds rather un-real to me, and I think one of the things is that the Length control could be turned down - The JABB Basses tend to ring out way too long, in my opinion, in their default settings. Shorten the length (the fade tail gets truncated) and suddenly it's more believable that a Bass player playing quick lines like this.

Sounds nice though, and this version was definitely one of the brightest, unexpected moments on the Challenge thread.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

Nice, Bill! - I really liked your Salsa when the Challenge event was going. There are some subtle changes in this new mix - better panning, it sounds like, for one thing. It's still extremely dry, like when the trumpet comes in, it seems even drier than the rest. That opening high bass line still sounds rather un-real to me, and I think one of the things is that the Length control could be turned down - The JABB Basses tend to ring out way too long, in my opinion, in their default settings. Shorten the length (the fade tail gets truncated) and suddenly it's more believable that a Bass player playing quick lines like this.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Yes, I understand. I am still getting the hang of all this. I have for so long just written in Finale and dumped to an audio file. But it's like giving a blind man eyes when you hear the difference with just a little engineering. This was realized as a new mix by putting the original mp3 file through sonar and sonars plugins (compression, reverb, and fxtotape (30 ips-medium saturation)). I know the real work comes from tinkering with the original midi file and your suggestions sound like a good idea.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thumbs up Re: The Salsa Challenge

Sounds great, William. I love the JABB Trumpet and the Latin flavor.

"Why do you think they call it call it Salsa? I think people just like to hear themselves say Salsa.. Salsa... Salsa!"-- Jerry Seinfeld

Glad you posted those sugestions Randy, very cool, good info! I always turn up length on things, but never occurred to me that some instruments may need it turned down.

A nice little salsa sound. I think latin things are hard to pull off. This sounds good. -Jay

Hey, Bill - I'm glad my reply with a few suggestions was taken well. It surely must be exciting to go beyond the simpler process of writing in notation and "dumping to audio."

One thing you said, "...This was realized as a new mix by putting the original mp3 file..."

--Maybe you didn't mean to say MP3 file?--but if you did, remember that you want to do audio editing work from a .wav file, not the way compressed and compromised MP3 version. You need to go back to the original good full audio file for doing the kind of work you're talking about.

Keep having fun!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

jaynekate01 - thanks, I am glad you enjoyed. It was a fun project.

rbowser - Randy, thanks. Yes I know that, but I wanted to see what would happen if I just used the mp3 file. I am now going back to the midi file and work on each track, then bounce it all to a wave track which I will process with the compressor, reverb, and fxtotape. This should really clean it all up before I create my mp3.

Challenge #10 Winner

Wiliam,

A very fun piece to listen to. Nice use of the solo trumpet.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast