• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is GVI stable?

Share/Bookmark

Is GVI stable?

I don't have a dedicated computer for GS3 and was running it with many other apps. After experiencing many many crashes I decided to do a clean install of XP and all my apps and leave GS3 off the computer.
    I was wondering if GVI would run better, without all the crashes.
    I'm using Sonar 5 and all of Spectrasonics software and have no problems.
    Thanks for any advice, Dave M.

Re: Is GVI stable?

GVI is much more forgiving than GS3 on a touchy computer. (Your PC might have any number of issues that affects GS3 - tight RAM timing, an incompatible driver, some hard drive issue...) GVI should let you use your existing libs without the headaches, as it runs in the application layer, rather than in the kernel layer.

That said, if your PC is ill, you never know what will upset it.

You might download and run Prime95, just to eliminate bad RAM timings as a possibility. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/

Re: Is GVI stable?

Thanks Jon. I was hoping that was the case. I miss using Emerald and Hans Zimmers guitars.
    Dave M.

Thumbs up Re: Is GVI stable?

I use GS3 on 1 DAW, and GVI on a 2nd DAW live. Sometimes I even pull a couple of doubles where it is ran from noon till 11pm @ night.

This is inside of Bidule though. Standalone had problems w/ my ASIO 2 24bit drivers from Creamware. Cubase 4 worked fine, but I didn't trust it as a VST shell, as it has stability issues. But Bidule works great and has several dozens of little filters for CC's, etc.

I run 3 GVI based instruments, and 1 K2 fully loaded w/ content, way more than GS3 will hold. 6 nights a week for over 6 months now. I bought it when it came out for 75 USD last year, but didn't want to use it live until I was sure of the right way to use it. Bidule has great customer support also, and Tascam does too. I found a bug in GVI that wouldn't allow multiple GVI based instruments to play due to a duplicate ID in the dll.files. The bug was reported to Plogue ( Bidule ) and the next day Tascam released a fix in the form of 3.62 version. So if there are legitimate problems that need attention, those guys move very quickly.

I have heard many whiners @ KVR-VST, and the LS forum complain about stuck notes, etc. They have not recieved a fix for their particular issue, this is sad, but I believe one must detect a problem, then call EMU, Plogue whoever, and let them be the harbringer of bad news. Just calling Tascam support phone lines , and nasty emails won't get you far. And sniveling in the forums is just like pissing in the wind, it'll come right back on you. Sic' a developer on them, much smoother way of achieving results.

Go Back to forum