• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Culpeppers lament (string quartet)

Culpeppers lament (string quartet)

I have been in a string quartet thing lately. This uses gpo violin, viola and cello. I would appreciate any input on this.
    Thanks -Jay

UPDATE: 9-10-07: I have tried to bring the dynamics out more. There are other suggestions that I want to apply, but this seemed to be the more immediate need for change. It you have a chance, please listen and comment. Thanks -Jay

Re: Culpeppers lament (string quartet)

I like your "near-adagio", Mr. Jay. Nice flowing melodies and a very good mix. This is a keeper.

Larry G. Alexander

Hiya, Jay

Ok - now I'm sad.

Actually, the lament quality is gentle and not maudlin in your new string quartet, and I like it very much. The arrangement is so elegant and effective.

You're such a talented guy, Jay. We're all fortunate to have you here, so prolific with your Wide variety of music.

Randy B.

I assume that this is another movement to the last string quartet you posted. I am happy you decided to continue in this genre. Once again you have brought forth a soulfull rendition of 3 of my favorite instruments. I urge you to continue this until completion, I have composed 3, 4 movement quartets myself and am always working on a new one and have found this to be my favorite style of composing.

Well done

Jay, it seems you are in your element!
    Excellent material here! The main theme is a very good one and the whole piece is well written.
    If you would just add the right dynamics it would make it so much more powerful.
    I can hear it as it might sound with this arrangement and also with a full string orchestra.

Randy said: "Your arrangement is so elegant and effective". I underline that!

Very nice!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks Larry. I am honored that you think this is a keeper. Thanks for taking time to listen.

Hey Randy. Thank you very much for your kind words. I am pleased that you enjoyed this. I was trying to be a little graceful on this piece.

Rolifer, I really had not thought of this as a continued movement on previous quartets that I have posted, but that is not a bad idea. I am really glad that you liked this.

Yudit, thanks for listening. I like writing in this style for strings. Thanks for enjoying it.

Gunther, I am pleased that you and randy think that my piece is 'elegant and effective. That is a very nice thing to say. Thank you.

Really nice writing here and a really good rendition.
    I would second Sunbird's suggestion about more
    dynamics and my only suggestion to make this piece,
    which is so elegantly composed, sound more "live,"
    would be to get a cello that doesn't sound so mellow
    all the time. The other strings sound like strings, but
    the cello sounds muffled on my rig............

BRAVO, jaynkate01

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jay, the writing in this is quite a fine job; very well
    done for quartet.

As I believe someone else noted, though, I think a
    more adventuresomely excursive approach to dynamics
    would bring a great deal more impact to the piece.

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very moving work and well executed.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast