• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lazy Days (JABB)

Share/Bookmark

Lazy Days (JABB)

I've listened to lots of fantastic recordings and compositions in the listening but have never managed to post any of my own compositions. So here's something for all you folks that have given me great enjoyment listening to some of your pieces over the past few months.

Lazy Days Edited version with less bass - see posts below

This is a piece recorded using JABB for the flugelhorn, bass & drums - piano is Ivory.
    The piece was written for a book about improvisation for beginners, so the solo section has been improvised using a limited number of notes (usual 4 per bar/chord) that student can use in there solos.

Any comments or suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you enjoy

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Re: Lazy Days (JABB)

Very nice little piece. The second time through I couldn't resist the temptation so I set my MIDI keyboard to "vibraphone" and jammed along with it.

--gary shannon
    http://www.soundclick.com/garyshannon

Thumbs up Re: Lazy Days (JABB)

Very nice, great piece and fitting title. It could just be my Creative brand speakers (don't have high quality monitors), but the bass seemed a bit overwhelming, had to turn it down. But love the music.

Hello, KeviD

NICE debut here in the Listening Room! - What a nice post you wrote also, letting us know that you've been enjoying listening to the huge variety of pieces people post.

I love your "Lazy Days." Wonderful melodies on top of a very cozy, nice progression. Love the Fugelhorn work a lot.

I need to second Leaf's comment about the Bass. It was Way boomier than what I usually hear over these speakers. It may not be so much the volume of the instrument as a need to work on its EQ.

You used Ivory for the piano--Curious as to why. It was the one thing I really didn't care for in the recording. Both the JABB acoustic and electric pianos are top-notch, and I really feel this would sound much better with one of those.

Thanks much for the smart, smooth Jazz!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Gary, Leaf and Randy. Thanks for the replies, your comments are very much appreciated.

Gary - I'm glad you liked it, I was going to add some vibes myself but decided to just go for a quartet sound. It feels great though that within a short space of time from me posting this piece, you were sat jamming along a vibes part to it. What a great place this forum is

Leaf and Randy - Thanks for the info on the bass. I've remixed and updated the link. I EQ'd some of the lower frequencies of the double bass part and also I think I had turned up the fundamentals of the bass in kontakt player a bit too much in the original mix. Let me know what you think.

Ivory is just a personal thing really. I just love playing it and it's always my go to piano. I'll try using the garritan piano on another track. I think the garritan pianos sounds great, but when I play Ivory there's just something about it that makes playing so enjoyable and easy. I guess I tend to stick with I'm comfortable with.

Thanks again

Kev

Hi Kev,

I like your 'Lazy days', just the right beginning for a new day, no rushing about, just relaxing...
    I heard also on your site 'Sunday morning' which I enjoyed very much. The piano is so soft... just as I like it to sound...

Yudit

Very nice!

About the bass: In my speakers it is very ok as it is .

Randy, Leaf, have you adjusted your amps always neutrally?

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Nice, nice job on this Kev... smooth and delicious.

Per the comments on bass, it sounded fine to me;
    though it wouldn't hurt, I think, to drop it down
    just slightly... it's percussive enough where it'll
    cut through fine and still do it's job.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi, Yudit, Gunther and David. Thanks for taking the time to have a listen and I'm glad you liked it.
    I should make clear that the original file has been updated with less bass because Leaf and Randy were spot on in their critique.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeviD
    - Thanks for the info on the bass. I've remixed and updated the link. I EQ'd some of the lower frequencies of the double bass part and also I think I had turned up the fundamentals of the bass in kontakt player a bit too much in the original mix.
    Thanks again

Kev

Kev, this is nice. I love the jabb fluglehorn. I might try to move the fhorn more to the right, and use the vibrato a little more sparingly so it sounds more natural. I think this is a good sound. A little more balance with instruments might be interesting. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast