• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI what libraries

Share/Bookmark

GVI what libraries

Anyone have a minute to name all the libraries that will run on GVI?

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Re: GVI what libraries

Tony,
    Anything that was made for GS will run in GVI. I'm pretty sure that goes for all pre-gs3 libs as well.

So that's:
    All the pre-VI vienna stuff.
    Project Sam
    Sampletekk/Post
    GOS
    SI symphonic+loads of their other stuff
    Larry Seyer's Libs
    The old Kirk Hunter and Dan Dean stuff.

I'm sure there's lots more...anyone?

-Belbin

Hi belbin,

Thanks for the reply. I hope others will add to the list. I am wondering about the original Advanced orchestra and the original Miroslav strings. The AO keyboard placements and some instruments are really impossible in Oveture 4 notation placement - and you should see the score if a keyswitch is attempted. Didn't Pers at Sampletekk mention something aboutbringing AO up to more current standards and normal positions?

I currently have Kirk Hunter Emerald, KH concert Strings, KH Concert Brass and London Orchestral percussion which seem to load and play OK so far. But, KH has vacated Giga so his new libraries are not available to me.

I tried for several months to find a copy of GOS and nearly had one from a fellow in France. I was advised to wait for GOS 2. I didn't know it was going to take so long to come out!

I want to build a personal orchestra for my compositions. I want the strings less hollywood theater and more symphony hall seventy dollar seat sound.

Looking forward to input. A big thanks for your usual quick responses,

best to you in your new enterprise,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

I have AO and it works fine

Cody - ah, good. The old libraries were somewhat suspect (according some) if using them in Giga3. I am the Perils of Technology person that never got Giga3 to work on this computer for the three years I've owned it.

Much relieved to hear it works for you. I am used to those sounds.

thank you,
    tony
    tony h

And don't forget Westgate's Modular series. It runs fine on GVI. It competes well with VSL's woodwinds, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. They have all the orchestral woodwinds and French horns completed.

Talking Re: GVI what libraries

Hi Jon

I'm saving my wife's change and anything I find in the street ( Retired, so it's a long haul) toward such libraries.

Thanks,
    tony h
    tony h

Re: Westgate:

Of course! What an oversight on my part!

I don't own any of the new Westgate stuff, but I'm sure it's stellar, between what I've heard, the demos, and the fact that it's way beyond the original WG winds in scope. I own the basic library of westgate winds, and it still stacks up in a lot of ways.

If Tim (or anyone legit)'s still selling the older WG stuff, snap it up. If you can, it's probably way better to go for the newer stuff, although 24-bit may not be your cup of tea, since not everyone is on that bandwagon yet. In any case the new seems cutting edge, and the old was cutting edge enough to remain somewhat relevant to this day.

Best,
    Belbin

The magic of the Westgate Modular libs is not that they are 24-bit, it's that they have true legato.

Belbin, the next time that you write a piece that needs a prominent solo woodwind (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon or even solo horn), spend the $70 and download it. If you can find a fast connection, it will be well worth the price.

BTW, I like to apply the DEF filters to the Modular instruments for expression. I don't always use it, but I do if I want drama and feeling, rather than just runs and such.

Speaking of runs, check out the flute at 0:44 here:
    http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00130001

Leading up to it is the original Westgate bassoon. Even played slowly, the notes don't quite connect. Then the Modular flute comes in with a fast legato run and is as smooth as silk.

As I recall, I played that run in live at full speed, then tweaked it on the piano roll to get the timing soother. I didn't use the DEF or anything fancy. I just made sure that the notes overlapped, so they would play legato. There's no fancy EQ or other processing, other than some overall ambiance.

Enjoy!

Westgate Flute and Oboe are exceptional Woodwinds. I wouldn't judge that company by the free content it provided for GS3/GVI.

I took Jons advice over a year ago and bought the flute. I am not concerned with price, but VSL spends too much on marketing their products, hence we pick up the tab. I have since purchased the Oboe and it too is a true legato performer, with superb sound. I don't use it much as my gigs are more in the vein of fusion, and progressive. But I did stay ay a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Go Back to forum