• Register
  • Help

Topic: Short and Sweet and Sour ( 2 more movements)

Share/Bookmark

Short and Sweet and Sour ( 3rd and 4th movement)

This brings this piece to 4 movements. I still am not sure what order they go in nor am I convinced that 4 movements are enough. I think there is one more to go yet. I actually wrote the one here called the 3rd movement as a piece for a wind quintet, but I do not have those instruments in JABB, so I went with this arrangement of 2 flutes, 2 clarinets and a bass clarinet.

Prokofiev has been my favorite composer for over 20 years, and a lot of my music is influenced by him.
    Hope someone likes these and any and all comments are appreciated.

3rd Movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/bnrxs96n87

4th Movement
    http://www.box.net/shared/mfdl4nevbv

Re: Short and Sweet and Sour ( 2 more movements)

I would think fewer than more (movements), Ron, in keeping
    with the naming of the suite... and perhaps some trimming of
    the movements might tighten them and lend them both more
    impact and relevance to the proposition of the title.

Generally, one would suppose that a suite should have no
    more and no fewer movements than needed to say what one
    has to say; as there's surely no merit in length for the sake
    of it (and often the contrary).

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I would think fewer than more (movements), Ron, in keeping
    with the naming of the suite... and perhaps some trimming of
    the movements might tighten them and lend them both more
    impact and relevance to the proposition of the title.

Generally, one would suppose that a suite should have no
    more and no fewer movements than needed to say what one
    has to say; as there's surely no merit in length for the sake
    of it (and often the contrary).

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for the listen and the suggestion. What I have been thinking lately is to condense this down into just one 7-8 minute piece. But that will take time that at this point I just do not have. Thankyou for saving this thread from the land of Zero's

Ron

Hiya, Ron

I just got genuinely spaced out listening to your new movements. --zooooooned.

There's an intelligent playfulness happening in the pieces you've been posting, and they are truly unique, in the true sense of the word.

Interesting discussion about whether or not to add more movements, to consider the benefits of composing shorter suites etc.

I wouldn't say that reducing All these pieces to one 7 minute piece would do justice to what you've been working on.

But I feel you're in an exploratory, experimenting space, and that it would behoove you to not be concerned about whether it's a suite, if these are movements of one work etc-Why not just compose what you will, let yourself go to the next space you find yourself attracted to--and so on, but without trying to force them into some structured sequence that may not be helpful to them.

Getting a firm grip and forcing yourself to do something in a constrained structure and time frame could be a fruitful exercise - it could be like doing a pencil drawing using your non-dominant hand - Semi-random thought there.

But, I want to thank you for letting us tune in. You're on to something, Ron - Or is that, you're On something--LOL--kidding.

Thanks.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thank you Randy for the response. Believe it or not, I do compose music that is more traditional as well as the non traditional. I can not post any of my other works until I get GPO. I have composed a number of symphonic pieces that have been fairly well accepted and can not wait to share these as well. I even composed a 4 movement string quartet that even though I changed keys a number of times, regardless of which key I was in, the piece was entirely made up of "White Notes" . In 4 movemnts I had 2 sharps and that was it.
    I know that my ear is not the same as the typical listener here and accept the fact that many here do not like my music. This has happened to many composers throughout history. Some have been vindicated by later generations , while others have just disappeared from the history of music. I hope my music lives on and finds an audience but either way, I have to compose. If I leave this stuff in my head it will eat me up and consume me.

The reason I have been comtemplating redoing this into a shorter piece, is due to the lack of patience of today's music listener. I still think that this piece requires a 5th movement to sum it up and tie it all together but if I can take the best of it and condense it into a shorter highlight version, it might be better accepted. But this piece will also stay as it is and who knows, 500 years from now I will get my kudos and fame. I can't wait!!!

Thanks again for listening
    Ron

Ron, I would be interesting to hear this with some GPO instrumentation, but I enjoyed this. It seems to have kind of a sneeky sound to it.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Ron, I would be interesting to hear this with some GPO instrumentation, but I enjoyed this. It seems to have kind of a sneeky sound to it.
    -Jay
    Jay,Thanks for the listen. In less than a month now, I should be getting my school loans and will be pruchasing Sib5 and GPO and due to Randy's advice I will also be getting Sonar Home. I am also getting a new computer to replace the dinosaur I presently use and abuse. Actually, it abuses me every chance it gets. So between a full load at college and work, I will get the chance to try to learn a whole new system. Thank God that days are going to be extended to 30 hours instead of the 24 I already use.

Thanks again
    Ron

Go Back to forum