• Register
  • Help

Topic: sending large files

Share/Bookmark

sending large files

Hi, I'm not sure what category to post this in, so feel free to move this if need be. Can anyone help me come to grips with how to send large audio and midi project files back and forth between two different studio locations. I want to do some joint work with a friend and the file sizes are too big for stardard e-mail attachments. Thanks in advance, John

Re: sending large files

You could try getting an FTP or private webspace.

There are also websites which will host your files for free to download. Of course, on most, you do not have control over who downloads them or for how long they remain.

The other option is to use an archiver like WinRAR (or StuffIt for mac) which will let you create it into an archive file and split it into 10MB, e-mailable chunks.

Reegs

Thank you Reegs for the info. Can anyone recommend a site that provides this service? Is there anyone here using boxnet or a similar service?
    Thanks, John

Hiya
    You can get 5GB of free space on ESNIPS and you can choose who you share it with. Or you could share the logon and use a private file.

I have just uploaded a 54MB wav file with no problem

Hope this helps

I was once told, that you can send rather large files through Skype. You need a good connection all the way from sender to receiver, though. It didn't work the one time I tried it.

-----------------
    MacPro 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel OSX 10.4.11 DP 5.13
    9 Gig RAM
    VI's & Libs: Ethno4 / Tsaiko/ RA / Symphonic Choirs/ MX 4 / V-Station / Kontact / Arturia MiniMoog V / EWQLSO Gold / GPO / Atmosphere / Trilogy / NI Komplete4 / Massive / SAM Horns / True Strike /GPO/Garritan Jazz Band / QL Brass /Stylus RMX/ Atmosphere /Trilogy/ Voices of Passion

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure what category to post this in, so feel free to move this if need be. Can anyone help me come to grips with how to send large audio and midi project files back and forth between two different studio locations. I want to do some joint work with a friend and the file sizes are too big for stardard e-mail attachments. Thanks in advance, John
    If you are using a Mac, use ICHAT. You can send it to your partner directly. If you have a PC use AIM (AOL instant message). Large files will take some time. I do this with a partner in Baltimore. We start the transfer and then just let it run. A faster way would be to do 'file sharing' It's a bit more complicated, but you create a 'public folder' on your computer and then your friend can access anything you put into it.

+1 for yousendit. yousendit is an easy way to handle it.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. For the present, I am using FolderShare that is a downloadable program from Microsoft that allows others to access a special folder that you set up. So far it has worked out pretty well, both uploading and downloading from my friend. And it is free! John

Go Back to forum