• Register
  • Help

Topic: Introduction Track

Hi all!

I've been doing a lot of listening the last two days here. You guys are really talented. I'm planning on getting into sampling soon.

Here's a track from my "A Creepy Little Christmas Album" CD. Hope you enjoy.

"Spooks Came Upon the Midnight Fog"

Often I'll add sound fx's to my pieces. This one's no exception.

Best, John
    Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

Re: Introduction Track

Very nice job on this, John... and a warm welcome to
    the forum!

My best,

Please do take a read through the forum rules and the
    Welcome (above) when you have a moment...

Hi, Johnny-Boy

I love "quirky," so this is right up my alley. What a fun concept for an album. -- And people say I'M on a Danny Elfman/Tim Burton kick! hehe.

(percussion a bit over-powering in the mix, to my ears)

David "Et Lux" did a good thing to point out the Welcome post from our host Gary Garritan. As said there, the point is for us to share our compositions which use instruments from the Garritan Libraries. - Maybe you used some here?-if so, give us some info!

Randy B.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very clever arranging...I like it a lot. Could you share a bit about your work with the forum?

David, Randy, and Gary,

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment on my music.

Although I understand sampling to a degree, I haven’t gotten into it yet – but want to.

I do my composing/recording away from the computer in real time. I only use the computer to load my mix into SoundForge for minor stereo editing and making files.

I own a Yamaha Motif ES8 (and several sound modules) that has sampling capabilities, but haven’t used it yet. Northern Sounds seems like a great site to get my feet wet into the world of sampling.

I’m planning on using Garritan samples soon – I’m impressed with the samples I’ve been listening to here – and the great talent of the composers.

Thanks again, John

Hello again, Johnny-Boy

Good to see you back - thanks for telling us more about yourself and the way you work. And I'm Very glad to see you survived having the posting guidelines pointed out to you.

I might not be interpreting you exactly right, but from what you've said twice now, I think you may have a slightly off impression of "sampling." -

When someone is "into sampling" it usually means that they are using either a sampling keyboard or software to create sampled instruments from scratch. That's a Very time-consuming endeavor. While there are certainly people who do exactly that, I think it's safe to say the majority of musicians use the programs/libraries which have done all the actual sampling work for them - And the Garritan line of sample libraries is the absolute best example of great sounding samples which are kept at an affordable price.

Using those samples in our compositions is really no different from using synth patches, except that the emphasis is on a more natural sounding playback, and working with sounds/samples which are more flexible than traditional synth sounds.

So basically I'm explaining that most of us here aren't actually "into sampling" - we just happen to use good sampled instrument sounds, but the process of using them is pretty much the same as you're doing now with your hardware synths.

Hope to see you again soon!

Randy B.

Thanks for explaining things for me Randy.

I'm wondering what kind of sequence software you're using along with the Garritan Library - or is the software included in the sample package.

I imagine all I have to do is hook my controller keyboard up through my computer sound card and just lay tracks into a sequence program using the Garritan samples.

I guess it's time to go to the appropriate forum to discuss these matters.

Thanks for your help.

Best, John

P.S. Some of my tracks are used as TV background music behind scenes. Are the Garritan samples copyright free?

Welcome John,

a very nice job on this, I like it!

If you have bought Garritan Libraries you can use them wherever you want.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks Gunther!

I reckon what I need is Cubase software to access Garritan’s sample library. I think also if I don’t want to use computer sequencing software I can load the samples into a memory stick and gain access to them through my Yamaha ES8.

Best, John

Go Back to forum