• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What in the World is Going on in the World of Garritan (The Latest Update)

Share/Bookmark

What in the World is Going on in the World of Garritan (The Latest Update)

In keeping with our tradition of periodic updates, here's the scoop regarding the latest as of September 9, 2007. We've had quite a back-log due to the difficulties I've been posting about. It’s been a long year of hard work. It seems we have broken through the log-jam and now beginning to see things happening.

Concert and Marching Band

As many of you know, Concert and Marching Band is now shipping. There is a great deal of excitement in the band community over this library. Our first run sold out due to backorders and high demand. A new shipment is coming this week.

The band community is quite large. There are far more band programs in colleges and universities than any other group. The Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library is the only library of its kind filling a major void in the world of sample libraries. More information is available here - http://www.garritan.com/band.html

GPO and JABB Updates and Boxed Versions

After a long wait, the Kontakt 2 Player updates are now available as a free download for all registered Personal Orchestra and Jazz/Big Band users. These new versions provide Mac Intel compatibility to Personal Orchestra and Jazz/Big Band. A number of new programming features and fixes have been added. And optimization for Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 is included.

These new versions have also been replicated and all new boxed versions of GPO and JABB will integrated the Kontakt 2 Player and are now Mac Intel compatible.

Reason GPO Refill

The Personal Orchestra Refill for Propellerhead Reason is now available as a downloadable library. The library is a Reason Refill sample based instrument library for all versions of Reason, including the new Reason 4.0. This Refill is a lighter version of GPO that takes special advantage of the capabilities of Reason and integrates seamlessly with Propellerhead's NN-XT sample player. A formal announcement will be made soon and you can find more information here - http://www.garritan.com/GPORefill.html

The Garritan WIKI

We have a new WIKI that is serving as our Knowledgebase as well as Education and Tutorial Clearinghouse. Right now there is information about the update and members are contributing tutorials. The WIKI is open to everyone who wants to share their knowledge and experiences with their peers. Everyone can contribute and edit content. Please feel free to register and be involved. http://www.garritan.info/

Authorized Steinway Piano

We are getting our final release candidate of the Authorized Steinway Piano library ready and this library is turning out better than we expected. Steinway has been involved every step of the way and is pleased with the product. Our new player has been very stable and performing very well. This is already one of my favorite libraries. We expect it to ship this fall.

General MIDI (GEM)

The GEM (General MIDI) library is just about there and we are in finale testing. It s being encoded and I'll provide more information soon. This library is a complete collection of General MIDI sounds integrated with the powerful Kontakt 2 Player sampling engine. It features the entire 128-instrument range of General MIDI sounds - punchy brass, funky basses, out of this world synth pads, wailing guitars, organs, gorgeous strings, striking pianos, ethnic instruments, sound effects, etc. This library will be of great benefit to those who work with general MIDI files.

Orchestral Strings 2, Stradivari, Gofriller, etc.

As previously posted in the last update, we were rethinking our strategy with regards to all of the strings. You all know how transparent I usually am. But contractual and internal business matters are necessarily confidential and it would be inappropriate and ill-advised of me to comment publicly. Also, one of the things I have learned (the hard way) is that it's both risky and needlessly raises expectations if we announce a product or direction too far in advance.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the upcoming strings and the new player that will showcase them. We are working on implementing innovative and advanced technologies and adding new capabilities. When the time is right, I'll comment further

Choirs

Also, as previously posted, the Choir is progressing just nicely. The upcoming Garritan Choirs comprise samples from members of one of the world's most well-known choirs. We are in R&D mode trying something totally different and will tell you more when the time is right. And yes, we do expect it to be able to sing words and lyrics.

New Courses

Chuck Israels’ Jazz Arranging Course and book are done. It will be similar to the orchestration course with interactive scores. We are working on the formatting for the forum. We also have another orchestration course we are working on with some interesting interactivity. Soon we'll commence the new courses.

Halloween Contest & GPO Christmas Album 2007

It’s almost time for our Most Spooky Halloween Contest again. Start thinking about your frightening melodies. We’ll announce the contest soon.

DP Dan is doing a great job on putting this together this year's community Christmas album. With Summer almost over, the time is right to start thinking about Christmas again. Everyone done with their Christmas shopping yet?

Hal Leonard Distribution

We are pleased to announce that Hal Leonard, along with Sibelius and MakeMusic (see below), will be distributing our libraries. Hal Leonard is the largest music publisher in the world and has an enormous selection of songs. They will be distributing our soundware and our upcoming educational content which integrates music technology. They will also be representing us at many trade shows and educational conferences throughout the world.

Hal Leonard represents some of the world's best known and most respected publishers, artists, writers and arrangers and has offices in New York, Milwaukee, Winona, MN, Melbourne, Australia, Hong Kong and London.

Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 Include Garritan Soundsets and Distribution

Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 are now shipping. Both bundle extensive new soundsets from the Garritan libraries from a variety of our existing and upcoming libraries.

Sibelius and Finale are also distributing our products (along with Hal Leonard as mentioned above) so musicians can purchase Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band and Personal Orchestra from them. Sibelius and Finale are beginning to receive stock of Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band K2, and Personal Orchestra K2. If you have pending orders you should be receiving them soon.

The full versions of Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band K2, and Personal Orchestra K2 libraries have been reprogrammed and optimized for Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008. Sibelius and Finale have also optimized their programs to interact with our libraries. There is a special notation folder in these libraries.

We have also developed the Sibelius World Instruments and Sibelius Choirs for Sibelius.

Sibelius GPO (the Sibelius branded version) users are entitled to a free update as well, existing users of GPO and JABB are entitled to an update that is optimized for Finale 2008 and Sibelius 5. These updates are available from the Native Instruments site.

------

That's the latest for now. Lots of things in the pipeline and some we have not mentioned. I'll do my best to keep with the tradition of transparency and keep everyone informed as to what is happening in due course. I am glad we got throught the long slog with the development difficulties of which you are all aware. Thanks again for your patience and your continued support.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer what I can.

Gary Garritan

Talking Re: What in the World is Going on in the World of Garritan (The Latest Update)

Great news, Gary. Looks like i need to get some cash, i want all of them.

Winona, Texas? Population 318, before everyone moved to Tyler?
    edit: oh you meant the other Winona.

Re: What in the World is Going on in the World of Garritan (The Latest Update)

Mama Mia! I knew it!

He's cloned himself still another dozen times.

There's no other explanation.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary,

All great news! I hope to see you at Hal Leonard at Midwest.

- Reber Clark
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Thanks Gary,
    I'm semi-reassured. The only slight niggle for me is the mention of the new player. It raises alarm bells - yet another format that probably won't want to sit on the same machine as Kontakt, VI or Giga. I'm sure the new features will fully justify the break with Kontakt, but, for me, one of the big plusses of your libraries was the fact that they integrated with my other stuff, whilst also achieving greater playability and realism. I'm not sure even greater realism (even if it's piano-resonance-nirvana, or word-building perfection) is enough to persuade me I need yet another machine to dedicate to a new sample player.

Here's hoping you prove me utterly wrong! Good luck with it all!!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Mama Mia! I knew it!

He's cloned himself still another dozen times.

There's no other explanation.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I hope he didn't clone himself. There should be ONLY ONE GREAT GARRITAN in this world!!!

Raymond

Hello Gary,

So much happening there. You must be going dizzy chasing your tail trying to keep up with everything.

Thanks for the update and for keeping us informed. I'm keeping my pennies too .. got my eye on that GEM. Sampled GMIDI, I think that's going to be a whizz-banger.

Best wishes to you and your team.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Great New Gary. I am really looking forward the Steinway and the Choir libraries. It's time to save some cash.
    Pierre Laroche

Thanks for the update.

I notice that GPOA is not on the list. Is it still one of the background projects?

I assume that the strings have to be sorted out first, but I'm just wondering if it's still on the way...

Thanks.

Greg

Thumbs up Re: What in the World is Going on in the World of Garritan (The Latest Update)

This is rather disturbing news. I thought you we're going on vacation across the arctic tundra in a rubber raft with a thermos of Starbucks coffee in one hand and a violin in the other! Just shows to go ya just how busy you really arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mate!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum