• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Annoying formants on GPO Violin I?

Share/Bookmark

Annoying formants in GPO Violin I?

To me, GPO's Violins I (and possibly Violins II, I didn't check yet) have three annoying formants between 5300 and 7000 Hz.

Inserting a channel band-pass with cutoff frequency set at 5300 Hz, a not too hard Q value (21.0) and -24dB attenuation, seems to improve the overall violins sound.

Anyone?
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Re: Annoying formants on GPO Violin I?

Searching/Googling for "Characteristics of strings" gives you more info about this. It is not just GPO, it is the string in general (as I understood).

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Searching/Googling for "Characteristics of strings" gives you more info about this. It is not just GPO, it is the string in general (as I understood).
    Yes, any instrument -as well as our voice- has formants. But in GPO these formants seems to be the result of non-chromatic sampling rather than natural formants, and IMO this fact stresses the synthetic quality of the strings sound.

I might well be wrong, of course...

Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Here is a picture of my EQ settings on the GPO Violins I KS channel.

It can be seen that a single pole BP filter centered at 5300Hz cuts off the "wrong" harmonics without blurring other frequencies (as it would occur by simply inserting a generic hi-cut filter).

Filter attenuation and Q value are indicative. They should be set according to one's taste, to the music genre and to his/her favourite reverb settings: -18.5dB with a Q=18, for example, gives a brighter sound than -24dB and Q=21, and still cuts off the annoying "buzz" of the unwanted formants.

Should anybody try this, let me know.

Thank you.

Good info, thanks for posting Coqui! I'll give it a try later this evening.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Good info, thanks for posting Coqui! I'll give it a try later this evening.

David
    Let me know, David, I'm really curious.

Most of the GPO string section samples are chromatic except at the very high end range where some samples have been stretched. I usually roll off around 3 Khz region myself as the samples are bright in that region.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Most of the GPO string section samples are chromatic except at the very high end range where some samples have been stretched. I usually roll off around 3 Khz region myself as the samples are bright in that region.
    Thank you for the info.

Three unpleasant formants (around 5300, 6000 and 6600 Hz) are notably audible from E4 upward, but they sound on almost every note of the entire Violins I range like a background "hissing" noise.

A fourth harmonic appears to "ring" at 7300 Hz, but is barely audible.

I will have to get some real monitors for this type of critical listening, i can bring the gain up at any frequency and hear hissing and rogue harmonics with these cheap speakers.

What would be really nice is if Kontakt Player's folder "Presets" had eq presets already optimized for Strings and other groups. Don't bash me for saying that, i know it's better to set them yourself, but a good preset helps beginers by giving a reference to start from.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn

Jim
    Does using KontaktPlayer's Synth Filter Pro 53 set to 3Khz do the same thing as what you are saying?

Go Back to forum