• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Dance of Untruth" (piano and orchestra)

Share/Bookmark

"The Dance of Untruth" (piano and orchestra)

This is an older piece of mine, but I've been working on it for a while now, tweaking and adjusting the orchstration and the form.

It's a large work, six sections, played without pause (except the recording puts a pause between parts 4 and 5). Each section is pretty short (the whole thing lasts around 20 minutes - so around 3 minutes per part).

The title comes from a Stephen King book - The Tommyknockers. It was the title of a chapter describing the inner turmoil of this town under siege.

it's scored for a large orchestra, lots of percussion, all GO in the recording, played through Finale 2008.

While it's titled "piano concerto no.2" it's more of an orchestral tone poem with piano obligato than a true concerto. It does have a cadenza (the second half of the recording starts at the cadenza), but it also has large sections where the piano melts into the orchestral texture.

Excuse some of the crackling in the louder parts, I have trouble adjusting volumes when the full orchestra is blasting away.

The entire "concerto" lasts nearly 20 minutes

Part I (the longer part - 13:00)
    http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/dance_o...of_untruth.mp3

Part II (including the solo cadenza and the final "movement" - 6:30)
    http://dosblanc.ca/music/dance_of_un...of_untruth.mp3

Re: "The Dance of Untruth" (piano and orchestra)

Very interesting arrangement, well done, and a nice composition!

I enjoyed it very much!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thumbs up Re: "The Dance of Untruth" (piano and orchestra)

I like it too and agree it's very interesting. Love it's bold character. It was a delight to listen to it, not seeming like it is very long.

David

Bravo, Michel, Bravo!

I've quite a fondness for your work, in general; but this
    one, my but when this gets rolling -- what an adventure!

Loved it!

Several times, in fact... lol.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

thank-you all.

I'm curious about one thing.. I see the comment "nice arrangement" pop up every once in a while, and I'm a little perplexed by it. Could this be a linguistic thing? To the best of my knowledge an "arrangement" is when a musician makes a "different" version of a work composed at a prior time (and usually by someone else).

Dance of Untruth is (at least as far as I know!!) an "original" work, by myself. I'm thinking that maybe the use of the term "arrangement" might be directed at the orchestration?

I am a little sensitive about the use of the word "arranger".. when I applied to do my Master's at a university that shall remain nameless, an equally nameless "composition professor" told me that I should "learn the difference between a composer and an arranger" which he said while he nonchallantly flipping through the pile of scores I had brought in for evaluation. This was meant to be a snide put-down... meaning my work was not original enough for him.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    thank-you all.

I'm curious about one thing.. I see the comment "nice arrangement" pop up every once in a while, and I'm a little perplexed by it. Could this be a linguistic thing? To the best of my knowledge an "arrangement" is when a musician makes a "different" version of a work composed at a prior time (and usually by someone else).

Dance of Untruth is (at least as far as I know!!) an "original" work, by myself. I'm thinking that maybe the use of the term "arrangement" might be directed at the orchestration?

I am a little sensitive about the use of the word "arranger".. when I applied to do my Master's at a university that shall remain nameless, an equally nameless "composition professor" told me that I should "learn the difference between a composer and an arranger" which he said while he nonchallantly flipping through the pile of scores I had brought in for evaluation. This was meant to be a snide put-down... meaning my work was not original enough for him.
    Michel,

thanks for clearing this! When I use the word "arrangement", when a composer posts a work here into the listeningroom, I mean "orchestration".

Sorry, my american is not the best, but I am learning every day... .

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Michel,

thanks for clearing this! When I use the word "arrangement", when a composer posts a work here into the listeningroom, I mean "orchestration".

Sorry, my american is not the best, but I am learning every day... .

Gunther
    danke sehr, Gunther.

I wasn't upset.. just curious.

And I'm happy you enjoyed the orchestration

I had a lot of fun doing it.

I wrote this piece around 15 years ago, but came back to it this year to do a major re-working of it. The orchestration is one of the things that got overhauled. The other things were in the piano writing and some of the structural elements (form).

Hi Michel,

I always enjoy your music and this is no exception – this was great.

One problem – I think both links point to the same file and I think the file is the “short part". I listened, loved it, but thought, “that is far less than 20 minutes”. I listened again and watched the clock and it was closer to 10. ACtually, less than ten I then tried the short link, thinking you got them backwards and it sounded the same. I looked at the file name and sure enough, the names are the same.

I think you meant this for the first link:

Now both point to:

Your comments and the music didn’t seem to go together – almost the whole first half of the short part is piano (after putting them together I understood to be your cadenza), I was wondering were the orchestra was hiding. I listen to the long version and have to say “wow!” The orchestration is great on it. Fix the link so more people can hear this without having to search for it.

Edit - I just looked again and your post names the right file, but the link is to the wrong one.

For the most part I agree with you - I think the word “arrangement” usually implies taking an existing piece of music and making changes while in essence keeping that music intact. It could be re-orchestrating it or changing the flow of material, if it is an arrangement you can still stop and say, “hey, this is xxxxx”.

I have often heard (and maybe on a rare occasion used) the word “arrangement” used to mean the way a work is laid out, even if it is an original work. It is referring to the organization of parts (form), the orchestration, etc. Several people on this forum use it in this way so I have grown used to it.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 09-10-2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added note about link
    Trent P. McDonald

I enjoyed this a lot. You definately have a knack for composing. The orchestration is well thought out and executed. There is a plethera of works out there by Steven King that can also use a little orchestration. Granted this may take a lifetime but if you enjoy King's works another one or two might be fun as well.
    Well Done
    Ron

thank-you, I've repaired the links (I THINK!!.. I HOPE!!)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast