• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

So thank you very much!

I have left Windows behind for a 24 inch iMac. I *love* it!! I should have moved to Mac soooo long ago! Gone are the Windows headaches, gone are the frustrating `what motherboard with what chipset should I choose' questions! Gone gone gone!

Now I'm not saying the Mac is perfect, but it is 100000% better than Windows!

I've also left Cubase in the dust. That is sad because up to SX3 I loved Cubase but between Steinberg as a company and the bug fest called Cubase 4 I'd had it. I didn't go with DP Dan, sorry, I went with Logic for a couple of reasons that are more related to non GPO projects.

Does Mac cost more than Wintel? Yep! Is it worth it? Absolutely!

So Mr. DPDan I owe you a beer! You were a big influence on my decision and I thank you for your input! Cheers!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Dallas, TX

Smile Re: Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

Your thread title made me laugh, funny stuff there.

Re: Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    So Mr. DPDan I owe you a beer!
    ... a McBeer then?!?!

Yikers Kevin,

I own an old Windows machine with Windows XP Pro for internet and office stuff only,
    another Dell PC desktop for samples only,
    a mac laptop for light duty remote recording,
    and a G5 desktop for DP.

I like how efficient the Dell PC is with VST instruments,
    but I certainly do like the Mac OS better.
    I truly believe that Apple builds incredibly elegant stuff, especially when you look at the sheer build quality. How small is the gap between the body joints... like how does the hood line up with the fenders? I must say... those things don't make any difference when it comes to processing power and reliability. Over the past years, Macintosh computers have really suffered with lack of processing power, but not anymore with Intel "inside" under the hood. I truly believe that the whole reason Macs are so popular is because of their amazing reliability. Crashes actually surprize me.

Windows XP is a pretty solid operating system, but I believe Apple has always shined in the reliability department of operating systems. Kevin, regardleess of all this hooplah, I am very happy for you that you have found a system that you are comfortable with while you make music. Ultimately, it's a big luxury to have the system you want, as opposed to the system we can afford. So with that, congrats on your purchase!

Oh one more thing, when you get sick and tired of Logic not being logical, DP will always be there waiting,, and DP can be purchased for the same amount WITH a nice MOTU muti-channel firewire audio interface...

You will cross that bridge when you get there.... he he he

I use Windows PC and Macs, and all kidding aside, I am glad I am familiar with both, they both have weaknesses and strengths. That fact is why I believe both are as good as they are.

LFO, welcome to Mac. I also made the switch this year and haven't looked back. I think the spider inside my Windows computer is happy that I haven't started it up for a while...gives it a chance to rebuild its web.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Congrats LFO -

Consider giving us an update in a month or so. I'm sure that a lot of us
    would be interested.

My experience with Macs is limited. I once accidentally wandered into the
    Apple section of a local computer store. I felt embarrassed and hurried to
    get out of there. It was as if I had wandered into the wrong restroom.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

I really would love to get a MAC, but a PC is just more economical right now (I'm only a starving student). My only gripes (2) with MAC's is that 1) you can't get an iMAC in a tower form (I would really like an iMac, but in the shape of Power Mac) and 2) I can't get an AMD chipset (I like AMD over intel).

Other than that, congrats on the MAC, mabye I can love it for you
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

I concur. Although I haven't set up me mac/intel yet and DP5, I can't wait to get running. Besides, getting close to DPDAN's ears as possible.

Lightbulb Re: Dpdan This Is All *your* Fault

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Dan, sorry for the shock value of the title, I had to do something that would get your attention!

The amazing thing to me about the Mac is that the OS is so intuitive. I had no idea what a package was, but given the OS and interface I figured it out very quickly. How applications are organized is simple and straight forward. Permissions are probably the trickiest piece, I still don't have them down yet.

I put myself through college with my own business building 286, 386 and finally 486 computers for small businesses. That was 1986 - 1990. Since then I've built boxes for myself (at least 30) and for friends (another 30 or so). I was a huge fan of 98 and am still a huge fan of XP. What I did not realize was there was something better. *shrug* Better late than never.

So, I'm not a Windows hater, I'm just a new Mac lover!

I thought it would be interesting to comment on some specifics. As klassical suggested I will give an update in a month and we'll see if the honeymoon is over.

Specifics of what I think are improvements over Windows will be followed by some negatives:

1) No registry! Components, packages, preferences are well laid out. I didn't have to buy a book or look anything up on the Internet to become comfortable with how OSX handles settings.

2) Packages - having all the files (except config files) for an application in one package is neat and tidy and easy to manage. Love it!

3) USB - I can plug and unplug USB devices changing where they plug in to hearts content and not have to reinstall the driver.

4) Booting is much faster than Windows and the number of applications installed has not effected boot time. Time will tell for this one, but so far so good.

5) (This is an iMac thing, I don't think it would apply to Mac Pro) No worries about interrupts and IRQs! I don't get to use my UAD cards anymore. However I am replacing them with VSTs and at least for my ears they will be fine.

6) (This is another iMac specific thing) The iMac is silent. I mean no noise. None. It runs warm but not hot. Me loves me some silence!

7) I will be able to scale, scale, scale. With either Logic or Digital Performer I can add Mac Minis to my system and scale my music rig. Don't laugh at Mac Minis! With their new dual core CPUs and 2 megabytes of RAM they will do a terrific job hosting VSTs or offloading Logic/DP workload. They are silent, low heat, small and stackable. I think it is a great combination.

8) Core Audio. I love the fact that I can open a VSTi such as B4 II or Mini Moog 5 and switch from Core Audio (my Focusrite 26 I/O) to internal I/O and hear the synth through my computer speakers. Easy as pie and no issues with internal audio interfering with my `pro' audio.

Now some things I have not liked:

When I close an application it is still running and available in the top menu area. When I hit the red button I want the application to completely shut down. I think this has something to do with `classic mode'. However, I have yet to figure it out.

There is some VST cost associated with moving to another DAW on another OS. For instance, I had to pay for an upgrade for several VSTs in order to get Mac Intel compatibility. In every case it was because I had a years old version of the VST that was released with only Mac OS9 support. Others were VST only on Intel. If I had been current on each release the move to MacIntel would have been no cost. (Correction - I had to pay $19 for Mac Intel support for one VST that I was current on. I can't recall what it was, but it was an exception.)

I can't use Atmosphere until they release their MacIntel version. They are very late on porting the app.

VSTs are not supported in Logic so I will have to use a wrapper if I want to continue using some older VSTs. (LM 4, Voice Machine, the original Groove Agent) There is a wrapper that works well from FXPansion according to those who use it. It costs $79 but might be worth it.

For those VSTs that are Windows only I can run Parrallels to run Windows in Mac OSX. Apparently this works but I don't know if I want to do it. JamStix is what makes me consider it.

The iMac is limited to 4 Gig of RAM. This is not an issue right now, but it might be given the memory bloat of applications like Symphonic Choirs. (This may not matter given Gary is coming out with the same kind of product. I'm betting his will be better!)

Those are to date my only issues with moving to Mac. Not a long list I know, but it is what it is. I'm a happy camper.

Well, I will leave it at this for now. I'm guessing few people will make it this far and I need to get some work done. If people have interest I'll post more.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Welcome to our little world! I have an iMac - about two years old, now, and my only complaint is the fan noise; looks like they got that one sorted out.

Has anyone taught you the secret handshake?
    Ron Pearl

Go Back to forum