• Register
  • Help

Topic: Translated files not recognized by GVI

Share/Bookmark

Translated files not recognized by GVI

Hi there-

I just got GVI installed and am trying to use a bunch of old Roland sample libraries. GVI isn't loading them. When I "click to load", I can navigate to a .gig file & attempt to load it, but nothing happens (it acts like I clicked cancel instead). I can load native Giga libraries, but so far, nothing I've converted. I didn't do anything unusual in Translator & I've used it with GS 160 vr 2.5 with great success. Any suggestions at what I might be missing?

thanks in advance,
    Greg McGuirk - music director
    Bennett Innovations
    an employee owned company
    www.bimedia.biz

Re: Translated files not recognized by GVI

Mcgoo,

Many have solved problems in GS3 by converting pre v.3 .gigs to v.3 format (a simple operation in GS3). Perhaps GVI suffers the same incompatibilities. Unfortunately, GVI appently has no utility for such a conversion. Do you have GS3?

Hi Belbin- thanks for the quick response. Nope- don't have GS 3.0, just 2.5 & now GVI. Translator can convert to 3.0, so I just tried it. it didn't work either. Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by mcgoo; 09-10-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bennett Innovations
    www.bimedia.biz

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Hi there-

I just got GVI installed and am trying to use a bunch of old Roland sample libraries. GVI isn't loading them. When I "click to load", I can navigate to a .gig file & attempt to load it, but nothing happens (it acts like I clicked cancel instead). I can load native Giga libraries, but so far, nothing I've converted. I didn't do anything unusual in Translator & I've used it with GS 160 vr 2.5 with great success. Any suggestions at what I might be missing?

thanks in advance,
    Hello Mcgoo. I've had similar problems. Particularly with Roland and E-MU files. Follow this link and send a copy of one of the Roland files that's not loading. First though, make sure you're using the latest build. Good luck.
    -Rajay
    www.chickensys.com/translator/bugreports

I forgot to add that someone usually answers the phone during the day so you can usually talk to a real person. (800) 877-6377......Question: Does it do all your Roland files that way? In my case, especially with Akai, Some will, some won't. In some cases I've played around with doing them into an earlier GS version and in others to an entirely different format altogether, then to .gig. Let me know what you find. That's interesting. I thought I was one of only a few who experienced that. If you're like me you have thousands of Roland files.
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Quote Originally Posted by rajay
    Hello Mcgoo. I've had similar problems. Particularly with Roland and E-MU files. Follow this link and send a copy of one of the Roland files that's not loading. First though, make sure you're using the latest build. Good luck.
    -Rajay
    www.chickensys.com/translator/bugreports

I forgot to add that someone usually answers the phone during the day so you can usually talk to a real person. (800) 877-6377......Question: Does it do all your Roland files that way? In my case, especially with Akai, Some will, some won't. In some cases I've played around with doing them into an earlier GS version and in others to an entirely different format altogether, then to .gig. Let me know what you find. That's interesting. I thought I was one of only a few who experienced that. If you're like me you have thousands of Roland files.
    Hi Rajay-

I've translated several of the Roland CD ROMs- Orch 1 & 2, Orch Perc, Orch Winds & Rhythm Section 1. I've tried loading several of each library to no avail. I downloaded the latest build today b4 translating. Tomorrow I'm going to try loading some of the same libraries that were translated a few years ago. I had decided to redo them for GVI since some of them hadn't translated that well, thinking newer builds might do a better job. Either way, I'll try emailing Garth from Chicken Sys to see if he can help.

thanks,
    Bennett Innovations
    www.bimedia.biz

Interesting.... So far, when converting Roland patches to .gig files, if I set Translator to 1.0 gig files, they work.... but the translations are "iffy". When set to 2.0 or 3.0, GVI doesn't load them. Time to get Garth (from Chick Sys) in the loop. Shoulda done that today, but didn't.

Anyone else had better luck & got any tips?
    Bennett Innovations
    www.bimedia.biz

Arrow Re: Translated files not recognized by GVI

Sorry to hear you've got Translator. I assume it's the Giga Edition, not Pro?

At any rate I have 2.54, GS3, and GVI. Since Gigastudio doesn't work as advertised w/ Akai translations, I bought Translator Giga Edition, what a pain in the hind end, plus the snobbly little jerk @ customer service there thankfully persuaded me to never buy from him again. Since his app hardly works he must recieve dozens of calls, none of them 4 sales I am sure.

I went ahead and bought Extreme Sample Converter, and deleted ChickSys. I have since converted all of my EOS, Akai libraries to GS3, then GVI w/o incident. Most of them had little performance features anyway, but the sounds can be combined in GS3 to make some rather terrific keyswitched performances. I have since bought Muse, GViolin, American Zither, Screaming Trumpets, etc.etc. So only the American Heartland, World Traveller, and some ancient Emulator samples are used now. But they did sound better @ 24bit in GS3 Orchestra.

Extreme will convert Roland to GS3 in a snap, I have seen it done w/ some of the old 700 series 16 bit samples my buddy still uses, I don't know why though, as Muse can cover a vast amount of quality samples for a astoundingly low price. 34GB's of great material. But one can never stop there right?

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live
    Sorry to hear you've got Translator. I assume it's the Giga Edition, not Pro?

At any rate I have 2.54, GS3, and GVI. Since Gigastudio doesn't work as advertised w/ Akai translations, I bought Translator Giga Edition
    I went ahead and bought Extreme Sample Converter, and deleted ChickSys. I have since converted all of my EOS, Akai libraries to GS3, then GVI w/o incident. Most of them had little performance features anyway, but the sounds can be combined in GS3 to make some rather terrific keyswitched performances. I have since bought Muse, GViolin, American Zither, Screaming Trumpets, etc.etc. So only the American Heartland, World Traveller, and some ancient Emulator samples are used now.
    Extreme will convert Roland to GS3 in a snap, I have seen it done w/ some of the old 700 series 16 bit samples my buddy still uses, I don't know why though, as Muse can cover a vast amount of quality samples for a astoundingly low price. 34GB's of great material. But one can never stop there right?
    Very happy to learn about Extreme. Is there a site to check it out? I have Translator Pro and there are still some problems. I have yet to be able to use my thousands of E-MU samples. But like you said, the ability to stack them gives you a lot more variation than a single sound. And you can edit them with the editor. That's cool. Does Extreme translate all the correct parameters or just do a general translation? Also glad to know it'll convert the older Roland files. Man you wouldn't believe how many I have. All the way back to the S500 & 550. Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna update to the latest build with Translator and if still doesn't cut it I'm switching.
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165638

I can't remember it was so long ago. But these beggars of free and weak VST synths chat about it often.

I bet that poor chap who has to answer the phone had to place the bug report link to avoid so many calls. I feel sorry for him. I bet he has some really angry sounding musical compositions due to his stressfull day gig.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum