• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL-Special Ed. Strings Questions

Share/Bookmark

VSL-Special Ed. Strings Questions

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate VSL's Special Edition Extended sample library, it seems like a very good deal at this time, lots of instrument variety, great sounds, and attractive pricing.

Mainly, I would like to get some feedback from users of VSL's Special Edition Extended version, regarding the shorter string articulations, for use in fast string passages. (Stacc., Marc., Det., Pizz.,.etc.) the strings in the demos of VSL-SE seem to be more on the slow classical/romantic side, so I have not heard the shorter string articulation of this library, which is quite an important part of any orchestral library. (maybe some new demos will appear in the near future), but for now, this is a very important, yet missing detail as far as the demos are concerned.

So.... How do you like the included short string articulations in VSL-SE ? (i.e. timbre, realism, dynamics, playability, ...etc.)

How do you like the few included Appassionata strings articulations in VSL-SE ?

The VSL-SE woodwinds and Brass sound very good.

Thanks.

Re: VSL-Special Ed. Strings Questions

In any string library I have ever heard and played the short articulations were more convincing than the long ones. It seems to be easier to sample/play.
    It makes more sense to demonstrate the legato than the pizz.

Don't worry about the short articulations, they're great. (I'm using VI SE)

Quote Originally Posted by mathis
    In any string library I have ever heard and played the short articulations were more convincing than the long ones. It seems to be easier to sample/play.
    It makes more sense to demonstrate the legato than the pizz.

Don't worry about the short articulations, they're great. (I'm using VI SE)
    Hi mathis,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the short string articulation in VSL-SE.

Yes, I agree that the longer/legato string articulations are the harder to perfect in samples, but, I tend to be a bit critical of the timbre and playability of the shorter string articulations. Since you are happy with them, and are using VSL-SE that is very ecncouraging to hear.

The extended version of VSL-SE also includes a few articulations from the Appassionata Strings, I'm not sure if you have the extended version, but some additional feedback on the included Appassionata strings in VSL-SE, and how they mix with the shorter string articulations of VSL-SE would be very helpful.

Cheers.

The Appasionatas in SE are really only a teaser, a sustain and one staccato articulation. I use them layered with the regular violins for violin unisons and it works well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mathis
    The Appasionatas in SE are really only a teaser, a sustain and one staccato articulation. I use them layered with the regular violins for violin unisons and it works well enough for me.
    Yes, I guess they threw in a few useful Appassionata teasers, just to give the user a little flavor of how they sound, I'm sure they can be layered to achieve various useful string effects.

Interestingly enough, I was also considering Appassionata Strings, but had the same type of issue in evaluating them, basically, there are not enough demos of Appassionata Strings showing the short articulations in action. (especially for fast cinematic (Hollywood type phrases, action scenes, chase scenes, Dramatic buildups .... etc.).

Currently I'm leaning more toward purchasing VSL-SE (extended edition), it has great value for the price, it will also allow me to get a better feel for their new VI, and eventually I would have more time to consider, and to further evaluate Appassionata Strings for the future.

I still feel that the quality of the short string articulations are quite critical, although less of a complicated sampling task when compared to emulation of legato and other longer articulation, it is still quite easy to get them sounding wrong (kind of funny/fake sounding, especially their timbre, and the sound of the bows scraping the strings, which end up just not sounding very convincing, especially when compared to real orchestras playing short articulations).

Hopefully VSL has perfected the part of capturing the details that makeup the realism in the short articulations in samples.

Thanks.

Go Back to forum