• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: daw notation sequencer sample library

Share/Bookmark

daw notation sequencer sample library

I compose by putting notes on a staff 90% of the time. The rest of the time I input notes by keyboard into sib4. My keyboard does not have a mod wheel but a mod button. I compose orchestrated works and string quartets, duets etc. I am buying a new computer that will be a dual core 2.4 with 2gigs memory. This will leave me around 500$. My plan is to purchase sib5 129$, GPO for sib5 160$ and a sequencer like sonar home for 135$.
    Does this make sense? I can compose. but I do not know how to do all the rest. I have used audacity a couple of times with a little success but the directions suck so it is a lot of guesswork. I am tired of guessing and am looking for a easy way to make decent sounds for my music. I can not think of anything else to add due to my ignorance, but I'd hate to find out after I buy all this that there was a better way for me to do this. I already own JABB but have had to use Garriton Studio to work with that, so I know nothing about Kontakt 2 either. Whoever said ignorance is bliss was an idiot.

Help

after reading the replies:
    I have thought about this a lot now and am leaning towards upgrading to sib5 which has GPO and then purchasing a decent Library. I will have 500$ avaiable for this. Since I know so little about the available libraries. I am asking for suggestions as to which one is the best for my amount of money and will work thru the K2 player in sib5.

Re: daw notation sequencer sample library

rolifer,

Others with more technical savvy than myself will doubtlessly respond, but the setup you describe is quite common (I happen to use Finale instead of Sibelius). The most common workflow given what you describe is to write the piece in the notation program, save the piece as a midi file, and then import the midi file into the sequencer. The musical interpretive work is then done within the sequencer, and many on the forum, and the GPO community, do use Sonar (though I cannot comment about Sonar Home Studio since I do not use it).

Another option worth exploring is simply using the notation program and using its playback features. Many have had very good success with Finale's human playback. You mention a preference for Sibelius and I am guessing that Sibelius is probably developing something similar, although I have "heard" that is one area that Finale is ahead of Sibelius in terms of program development. If sounds like you know Sibelius and are comfortable with it, so there is no real reason to switch.

In any case, your intended approach is not at all unusual and should work fine.

Do make sure that your new computer will handle audio well. Some of the "off the shelf" systems have proven very problematic with audio for some, while others have had success. Also, certain combinations of hardware play nicely with each others, while other combinations do not. Once you get into sampling and sequencers, the faster the processor, the more robust the hard drives, and the more ram, the better. When using one computer, for audio, the two gigs of ram will be adequate for what you are doing initially, though some will expand that to four gigs. You will need three hard drives: one for the O/S (typically 80 gigs) one for audio, and one for samples (say 320 gigs for each of these). You really DO want that many hard drives - you will be able to get a greater number of voices/tracks/etc., if a hard drive is not having to access samples / O/S / record audio at the same time. If you are not comfortable building a system, consider getting one from a dedicated DAW builder. Above all, STAY AWAY FROM VISTA for now. Drivers are still very much non-existant, and performance benchmarks under Vista are generally worse than under XP. There is a very strong consensus that Vista is not yet ready for audio prime time.

Edit: Make sure that you get at least a decent professional sound card. A poor soundcard (spelled Soundblaster) will increase your latency, have less than stellar drivers, and provide overall poor sound for professional audio - fine for general stuff, but not for professional audio. A decent inexpensive starting point would be the M-Audio Audiophile 192, although the 24/96 would be ok, if you have real budget constraints. However, M-Audio has no finalized drivers for Vista for these cards yet, so they would only be a viable option under XP. Others on the forum may have other good budget soundcard recommendations.

I would highly recommend you at least check out some of the DAW makers websites before making your final computer purchase decision. Two DAW builders that are very highly recommended are Scott at ADK, and also Sonica Labs (Scott at ADK built mine).

HTH

Jim

You might consider getting Notion instead of all that... supposedly, it has superior humanized playback compared to Finale/Sibelius, and integrates a high-quality custom sample library. At least, that's how it is billed.

It's also a shame that you have to buy GPO twice, essentially, as Sib5 comes with it built in (along with various other samples.)
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Now that Sibelius has proper VST hosting, something that none of the other top quality notation programs do, you can do what you like. It is still early days, but it seems as if the Sibelius approach will mean that most of the time you can just type your score in and the correct articulations will play. What's more is that you can use any library you like; you are not limited to either built in sounds or only NI products.

My advice would be to get Sibelius 5 running (get more than 2GB RAM), and then see what you need.

D

Ron,

Start small...

If you already have Sib4 there's little reason to buy Sib5 atm. Not that it's not really advanced, but since you want to go the sequencer way, the added support to VST in Sib5, is not really needed... At least from what I can see...

Now, by start small I mean:

You can of course try Sonar (and you can actually try it, last I heard it had a trial version), but why not go for reaper (for example), which is almost like free? Start off with that, get a bit used to it, and then move on higher, at Sonar, or Cubase, or something else.

You can input notes, in staves in Sib4 (as you've always done), and also play the notes, in Sib4, but in the sequencer as well. And more and more you'll see it's faster and maybe more convinient.

One last thought to keep in mind.

While the software you mention play a very important part, I do think that the most important part is the samples you use. So you would be far better of to spend the money onto some quality libraries instead of the new Sib and Sonar

I'll PM you for the rest...

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have thought about this a lot now and am leaning towards upgrading to sib5 which has GPO and then purchasing a decent Library. I will have 500$ avaiable for this. Suggestions?

Ron

With a 100$ more you can get Kirk Hunters VSPRO Ruby, which is ONE HECK of a library (but then again you need K2 for the library, which is a problem if yo udon't have it).

Then there is EWQL Gold bundle which is bellow 500$ I believe.

What else is there? My mind is failing me atm, Ron, sorry... I'm sure other people will pitch in.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    With a 100$ more you can get Kirk Hunters VSPRO Ruby, which is ONE HECK of a library (but then again you need K2 for the library, which is a problem if yo udon't have it).

Then there is EWQL Gold bundle which is bellow 500$ I believe.

What else is there? My mind is failing me atm, Ron, sorry... I'm sure other people will pitch in.
    Thanks nikolas. Since sib5 comes with k2 that will not be a problem. I will check out both of these. Any chance you could talk Kirk into a student discount for me? I did try hard to win that library but came up short.

Ron

Heh...

since you are a student I don't think you will have any problem to getting a student discount (if there is one). Age doesn't make any difference I imagine.

Since I don't have Sib, I don't know for sure, but most likely the Kontakt player that comes in Sibelius would not play back Kirk Hunter's libraries. To do that you need the full version of Kontakt, not just the player. With Kontakt 3 just being released, you might want to wait until verifying that there are no compatibility issues between Kirk's libraries and Kontakt 3, since third party libraries were written for Kontakt 2 (there probably shouldn't be, but "shouldn't be" and reality are sometimes very different).

Jim

Go Back to forum