• Register
  • Help

Topic: Library confusion

Share/Bookmark

Library confusion

Sorry for this noob question, but I'm going crazy with GPO and Cubase Studio 4.

I have a project I'm working on. I think it's still using the old 1.0 library and version 1.02 of the VSTi plugin. Sounds fine, though.

I'm trying to update the library and plug, but my music turns to crud (sound-wise). I'm sure I must not have things installed correctly.

With the new Kontakt libraries, should I be using the "Personal Orchestra" VSTi module? Or the Kontakt Player 2 module? I also have version 1.1.8 of the plug-in... do I need that for anything?

And, most importantly, how do I get the sound to be similar to what I had before (I was using mostly "wet" ensemble samples).

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Eric

Re: Library confusion

Hi Eric and welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you're enjoying GPO. You've just found a very help community of GPO enthusiasts.

If you could give us a little more of a description of what you mean by turning to mud we'll be much better able to assist. (Do you mean balance or general quality? Can you post a sound clip example?)

If you have all of the updates (the most recent is the August 2.2.3 release of KP2), then this is what you want to use to give you the best programming on the library. Juding from your previous use of the Wet patches, I suspect the mud problem lies in not having any reverb on the samples. The Wet patches use Kontakt's built-in reverb to give the otherwise dry samples some space.

Try adding a reverb effect in Kontakt Player 2 to improve the sound:
    -Open the Output menu.
    -Click on Show Inserts (or maybe it's effects?)
    -You'll see four slots appear above each output. On the Primary Stereo out, select either Reverb or Convolution. You can tweak these (or import an impulse response) to hopefully improve the sound. One note about convolution: there may be a bug interfering with the drag and drop adding of an IR, which will require you to load the IR in KP2's standalone and save it as a preset there, which can then be loaded when KP2 is running as a VSTi.

Please keep us posted.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks for the reply. Let me just make sure I understand. When I load "GPO" into Cubase, the module that I load into the instrument rack is called Kontakt player (rather than Personal Orchestra, as it was previously).

True?

Thanks

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by mn1247
    When I load "GPO" into Cubase, the module that I load into the instrument rack is called Kontakt player (rather than Personal Orchestra, as it was previously).
    Yes. Kontakt Player 2 is what you will want to load. Then in its browser you will see GPO (and other KP2-libraries if you have them--Strad, Gofriller, JABB, AIR, Chris Hein Guitars, etc)

Go Back to forum