• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Giga questions

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Giga questions

I\'m a newbie to samplers and am looking for the straight scoop to a few questions (which will probably lead to more questions).

Help!

1) I\'m sold on the concept of Giga samples, but it sounds like lots of samplers load them - Kontact, Kompact, VSampler to name a few.

Do these competitive products sound identical to Gigastudio given an identical \"patch\"? Are there reasons to stick with Tascam? Are there reasons to go with the competition? (Kontact seems to get all the rave reviews...)

2) I\'m a bit worried about the real-world requirements for getting Gigastudio to work well on a WinXP machine. Just getting Sonar3 to work with decent latency and no dropouts seems like a chore. How picky is Gigastudio about the machine it runs on? How about the competitors?

3) Looking at the other posts I\'ve gleaned that Giga requires a \"special\" soundcard driver. I extrapolate that WDM drivers aren\'t an option. Why doesn\'t Giga adopt the seemingly more pervasive standard? Should I expect conflicts using Giga on the same machine with other apps that use WDM drivers? What soundcards should I be looking at?

4) How about running Giga and Sonar3 on the same machine? Is this a viable option?

5) Does anyone sell Giga samples as \"one offs\" or do I always have to buy libraries of sounds? (My first priority is covering a jazz trio - upright bass, piano, and drums...)

6) Does one simply \"load and go\" with the commercial libraries? Will that lead to good results? (I don\'t want to spend time mapping .wav files into key and velocity maps...)

Thanks for the responses!

Re: Newbie Giga questions

1) I\'m sold on the concept of Giga samples, but it sounds like lots of samplers load them - Kontact, Kompact, VSampler to name a few.
    Do these competitive products sound identical to Gigastudio given an identical \"patch\"? Are there reasons to stick with Tascam? Are there reasons to go with the competition? (Kontact seems to get all the rave reviews...)

The sound is probably similar but sometimes they don\'t playback the Giga features perfectly and anytime you translate between sampler formats in any direction, you sometimes need to tweak them to sound and playback the same. Each sampler will have different ADSR and velocity curves and different filters. There are certain sounds that I personally use other formats for. For example, I like the tools for playing back percussion & groove loops in Kontakt. (legato mode & time & Pitch changing & lock to MIDI) For pure orchestral arrangements where lots of \"Stable\" polyphony and playback is needed, I take Giga hands down. 3.0 will also have features that nobody else will have when it comes out.

2) I\'m a bit worried about the real-world requirements for getting Gigastudio to work well on a WinXP machine. Just getting Sonar3 to work with decent latency and no dropouts seems like a chore. How picky is Gigastudio about the machine it runs on? How about the competitors?

In this area, its probably the least picky and most efficient actually.

3) Looking at the other posts I\'ve gleaned that Giga requires a \"special\" soundcard driver. I extrapolate that WDM drivers aren\'t an option. Why doesn\'t Giga adopt the seemingly more pervasive standard? Should I expect conflicts using Giga on the same machine with other apps that use WDM drivers? What soundcards should I be looking at?

Just look for a card that has the GSIF driver. The GSIF driver is a very low latency driver and they prefer to stick with that instead of using the other drivers out there. Also, GSIF has been a standard for quite a while and came before some of the current drivers. Why don\'t they use GSIF instead eh? Not realistic of course. Its a very easy driver to implement and in some cases is just a simple switch for the card manufacture to put into their software so most of them cover Giga pretty well.

4) How about running Giga and Sonar3 on the same machine? Is this a viable option?

Many people run Giga and various sequencers (including sonar) on the same machine. At NemeSys, we usually demonstrated with cakewalk at the trade shows and it worked fine. The rewire tool will help to get the audio from Giga into the sequencer with 3.0.

5) Does anyone sell Giga samples as \"one offs\" or do I always have to buy libraries of sounds? (My first priority is covering a jazz trio - upright bass, piano, and drums...)

You will need to shop around and see. There are individual and highly detailed libraries that cover these instruments very well.

6) Does one simply \"load and go\" with the commercial libraries? Will that lead to good results? (I don\'t want to spend time mapping .wav files into key and velocity maps...)

The whole idea of a library is to load & go. You shouldn\'t have to map anything out with any Giga Library.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Dave

That helps a lot!

Originally posted by kmcintyre:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have VSampler 3 which came with SONAR 3 PE, Gigastudio 24, which came with my Audiophile card, and I just bought Kompakt. Kompakt comes with some great samples. DFD works pretty good. It can be used as a plug-in. But, CPU usage is higher than Gigastudio. Plus, it\'s not as stable as I would have expected. The Kontakt demo was a bit more stable, so I was mildly disappointed with Kompakt in that regard. I prefer the interface of Gigastudio -- it feels more like an instrument, less like a plug-in. It consumes less CPU to do the same job. Both consume less RAM than VSampler which is supposed to be getting some sort of disk streaming soon.

I was hoping that Kompakt would solve all of my sampler needs, but I\'m going to either buy a faster CPU or Gigastudio 3 or both. It really does take more CPU to do the same task than Gigastudio. I\'m not enthusiastic about VSampler, but there is a demo, so see for yourself. Kompakt\'s Giga import is very poor, but it will probably improve since Kontakt\'s has. No sampler will play giga files as well as Gigastudio. Some tweaking may be involved. But, most new libraries that are giga seem to be Kontakt also, while there are more Kontakt or Kompakt player-only libraries coming out it seems.

Kompakt doesn\'t have all of the features of Kontakt, including even some filters (6-pole), so some Kontakt files don\'t even import properly. Another disappointment. Having said all of that, Kompakt is great. The included content is great, and I feel like I received value for my money. I got most of what I wanted out of it. But, if your main intent is to import files from other formats, or buy sample libraries in Kontakt format, buy Kontakt. For example, I was considering buying Sonic Reality\'s Sonic Station, but unfortunately, some (most likely a very small amount, but nonetheless...) of it won\'t import correctly because NI limited Kompakt\'s filters. It\'s one thing to limit access to them for tweakability, but to remove them altogether? That\'s poor. I\'d buy Kompakt all over again though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

When Gigastudio gets Rewire with G3, it will be a very tempting package, especially if there is some good included content as has been hinted. NI has a bit of a work-in-progress feel to their samplers still to me compared with Gigastudio, but I like the way soundfonts sound in them better. But, I like the way Giga plays Giga files better. That is something to consider. How much tweaking do I potentially want to do, and what format will the samples originate in?

I\'ve played around on Halion, and I don\'t like the interface. Similar to VSampler\'s, which I don\'t like. Subjective though. You may love it.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Following some great advice from this forum, and using the latest update, Gigastudio runs perfectly on my computer alongside SONAR 3. And I was one of those people who had BSOD on occasion and hated Gigastudio a year ago because I could never get it to work on my computer. Now it is running, it is rock solid, and I can say that like others I had been reading. Funny how that works sometimes.

Never had any troubles with NI stuff or VSampler regarding compatability. No worries.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wonder if you might be a candidate for Kompakt. I know I didn\'t give it a flattering review above, but I really do like it for playing its included sounds and the 90% of the sounds which have imported properly. It has the sounds you are looking for, plus many more. It\'s the cheapest of the bunch as well. No demo of it available, but you can demo its big brother Kontakt and see if it approximates filling your needs. I\'ve heard that the included content with Kontakt isn\'t very good, BTW, though some may like it. Just relaying what I have heard. Kompakt may get you started, and that may be enough for now. Kontakt would get you a better all-around sampler than Kompakt, but you\'d have to turn right around and buy some sample libraries to fill your needs, while Kompakt has some good sounds to get you started.

OTOH, you could wait a month or two and see what\'s coming with Gigastudio 3. I\'ll probably end up buying them all because I can\'t decide.

Go Back to forum