• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Finale Kontakt Player

I'm working on my first project with the GPO sounds integrated with Finale, and I have a few questions for which I was unable to locate answers in the documentation.

The first question is in the Kontakt player, how do I determine which instrument responds to the on-screen keyboard. I'm guessing that it has to do with which MIDI channel the virtual keyboard is transmitting on (based on the behavior of the various loaded instruments), but I can't figure out how to change this.

My second question concerns the Var. 1 and Var. 2 controls on the individual instruments. In another post on the Garritan Libraries section, I learned that for the strings (at least) they control timbre and intonation. Is there documentation anywhere detailing exactly what they do, to what effect, and what (if any) differences there are for the other choirs of instruments?

Re: Finale Kontakt Player

Quote Originally Posted by raweber
    I'm working on my first project with the GPO sounds integrated with Finale, and I have a few questions for which I was unable to locate answers in the documentation.

The first question is in the Kontakt player, how do I determine which instrument responds to the on-screen keyboard. I'm guessing that it has to do with which MIDI channel the virtual keyboard is transmitting on (based on the behavior of the various loaded instruments), but I can't figure out how to change this.

My second question concerns the Var. 1 and Var. 2 controls on the individual instruments. In another post on the Garritan Libraries section, I learned that for the strings (at least) they control timbre and intonation. Is there documentation anywhere detailing exactly what they do, to what effect, and what (if any) differences there are for the other choirs of instruments?
    Hi!

1. If you click on the upper part of an instrument it will create a border and that will be the "active" instrument that response to the onscreen or external kbd.

2. VAR1 is for varying intonation, VAR2 for timbre. These controllers introduce random changes or inconsistencies, just like a real player might, especially when playing rapid notes. These 2 VARs exist mainly to get rid of the machine-gun effect that is a giveaway of a MIDI rendering.
    When I do a piece for wind ensemble or orch., I introduce a small amount in each instrument then bump it up at appropriate times...I find that such a procedure thickens the sound without resorting to chorus. It also helps when brass have double- or triple-tongued passages. Just try various levels of VAR1 and VAR2 and see what you like.

BTW, you can define an expression for playback in Finale to trigger VAR1 and VAR2. They are simply MIDI controllers.
    If you look in your manual at the directory of instruments, you will see which ones respond to VAR1 and VAR2. Generally IIRC they are brass, woodwinds, & solo strings

3. My in-laws live just off University St, and my brother & sister-in-law live in the heights. Maybe we can connect next time I hit Peoria!!

best, Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    1. If you click on the upper part of an instrument it will create a border and that will be the "active" instrument that response to the onscreen or external kbd.
    Thanks for the reply, Jim! I appreciate it. The problem that I'm having is that no matter which instrument is highlighted, the keyboard always plays the same one (I can see the meters jumping). Any ideas?

2. VAR1 is for varying intonation, VAR2 for timbre. These controllers introduce random changes or inconsistencies, just like a real player might, especially when playing rapid notes. These 2 VARs exist mainly to get rid of the machine-gun effect that is a giveaway of a MIDI rendering.

When I do a piece for wind ensemble or orch., I introduce a small amount in each instrument then bump it up at appropriate times...I find that such a procedure thickens the sound without resorting to chorus. It also helps when brass have double- or triple-tongued passages. Just try various levels of VAR1 and VAR2 and see what you like.

BTW, you can define an expression for playback in Finale to trigger VAR1 and VAR2. They are simply MIDI controllers.
    If you look in your manual at the directory of instruments, you will see which ones respond to VAR1 and VAR2. Generally IIRC they are brass, woodwinds, & solo strings
    Thanks for the tips. I'm curious, if you set the various instruments to the same values for Var.1 and 2, do they all play different? Also, I find I have a hard time navigating around the new html help document. Any tips specifically where to look for that instrument list?

3. My in-laws live just off University St, and my brother & sister-in-law live in the heights. Maybe we can connect next time I hit Peoria!!
    That would be cool. I live two blocks from the old Jumers. Thanks for your time and input. I'm going to play some more with the Var. controls and see what I like.

Is Kontakt 3 compatible with Finale 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by pgfan92 View Post
    Is Kontakt 3 compatible with Finale 2007?
    Yes it is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Yes it is.
    This would be the full K3 player? Can it be accessed from inside the Finale sandbox, the way the plug is activated?

Any problems with v3 on a G4 (32-bit) mac?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    There is no "Player" version of Kontakt 3. Just the full-blown sampler.
    So it is operated separately - no longer integrated into the Finale workflow the way the player is? If that's the case, would any voices composed or converted in Kontakt 3 be playable within Finale via the KP2 plugin?

(I want to spend my creative energy composing, not sequencing, as my music is scored and for, and performed by, live musicians. I need to expand my demo reel to include some instruments not in the Finale GPO set - but I need to be careful of cost.)

Quote Originally Posted by passagio View Post
    So it is operated separately - no longer integrated into the Finale workflow the way the player is? If that's the case, would any voices composed or converted in Kontakt 3 be playable within Finale via the KP2 plugin?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. You can load the K3 VSTi in Finale just like you load the KP2 VSTi and you can define HP Techniques that control instruments loaded in K3. You can load any Kontakt library in K3, incl. KP2 libraries except Finale GPO 1/2 & Garritan for Finale - the latter are only available in their respective Kontakt Players. You can not load instruments saved with K3 in KP2.

I couldn't even get Kontakt 3 to work on its own, so I'm just sticking with what I have. And if I were writing for actual musicians, I'd use Finale 2008, and use Softsynth when I have to. Or create a muted staff for an instrument not on either Garritan or Softsynth, and just compose everything on a piano. Or just compose everything on a piano and write it all out by hand, that seemed to work for a while.

Go Back to forum