• Register
  • Help

Topic: I need help automating volumes for RMX sub channels in Logic

Share/Bookmark

I need help automating volumes for RMX sub channels in Logic

This might be more of a Logic question than a Stylus question, but I can't figure this out. In Logic, when I try to automate the volumes in the Stylus RMX sub-channels, it changes the volume of the whole track, instead of the individual channel. I've looked at the MIDI learn controls and CC 7 is assigned to volume for each of the channels 1-8 respectively. Logic SHOULD be sending CC 7 for channels 1-8 respectively, but instead any CC 7 that is sent (including any CC 7 data that I hyperdraw in the matrix editor on a region) changes the volume of the entire track.

I realize that I can automate the volume from the main stylus track in the regular automation settings, but it would make a lot more sense for me to do it this way. Any help is really appreciated!

Re: I need help automating volumes for RMX sub channels in Logic

You have to open RMX in "multi-channel" mode and assign the tracks outputs in RMX to individual aux tracks in Logic 7. Supposedly Logic 8 has made multi-channel instruments a simple "plug and play," but using multi-channel and automating the aux tracks is the only way to do what your asking in Logic 7.

It is indeed a Logic issue.

Logic overrides CC#7 MIDI Volume for it's mixer faders, so you can't use it for plug-ins.

Use another CC# for RMX like CC#11 and midi learn it and you'll be fine.

Cool, that works great. Thanks Spectrum! It's a shame though since you can't change the CC value of the fader, only the knobs. Seems kind of dumb.

It has not been fixed in Logic 8, that's what I'm using right now. The reason I ask is because so many things seemed broken in Logic 7, and nearly everything, seriously, is fixed in 8. I thought maybe that would be too, I can't really see why users would want it the way that it is. Logic 8 is great though, you guys will see! So much has been improved so much, I am in awe! To me it is truly the update that logic users have been waiting for.

Now I just need those updates from Spectrasonics and I'll be in heaven!!! Too bad there's nothing from them at AES, I wonder how long we'll have to wait?!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    It is indeed a Logic issue.

Logic overrides CC#7 MIDI Volume for it's mixer faders, so you can't use it for plug-ins.

Use another CC# for RMX like CC#11 and midi learn it and you'll be fine.
    Can anyone please list the steps on how to do this: How to use another cc for cc7 and then midi learn it?

Even better...watch the MIDI Learn tutorials...shows you how to do it in Logic. :-)

Go Back to forum