• Register
  • Help

Topic: Veracruz Harp Samples

Share/Bookmark

Veracruz Harp Samples

Hello Garritan Peeps!

Anyone know the source of some Veracruz Harp Samples?

(It can be heard on Los Lobos' Kiko album. Song: Saint Behind the Glass)

Also, hammer dulcimer and accordian?

Thanks!

Re: Veracruz Harp Samples

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    Anyone know the source of some Veracruz Harp Samples?
    The Veracruz Harp is similar to other South American harps, although larger, and often played with the fingernails. It is often played in Mariachi bands.

I don't know of any samples libraries with a Veracruz Harp per se. If you find a library that sampled a South American Harp you can get close.

I own a Veracruz Harp (used to busk with it in the NYC subways) and maybe one of these days I'll get around to sampling it.

Gary Garritan

Ah!

I knew I could count on the Grand Poobah (and harpist extrodinaire) of the Loyal Order of GPO to come to my rescue.

Thanks for this advice Gary, I'll look for these South American Harps. I'm also wondering if I can fake it by combining a straight a detuned version of the GPO harp.

Cheers,

Erik P.

Erik,

It is hard to fake it with an orchestral harp because it is played with the balls of the fingers. South American Harps are played with fingernails. So its a much thinner and more percussive sound. And the construction is different. Whereas orchestral harps are built solid and heavy, South American harps are light, almost like balsa wood, and resonate more.

If you want to "fake it" you would probably get a more similar sound with a picked nylon string guitar, with a nice resonant body, and slightly detuning, applying EQ and arpeggiate your chords. See if that works.

Best,

Gary Garritan
    Grand Poobah
    Loyal Order of GPO

Go Back to forum