• Register
  • Help

Topic: I miss RANDY!!!!!!

I miss RANDY!!!!!!

Where are you. Lost in space? Gone into one of those black holes in our other threads? Or is it Dorian that's keeping you busy?

Nice word: thread. One other character and it means something very ugly. But it sounds equal (at least to me).

Re: I miss RANDY!!!!!!

HI--Well, it's nice to hear I'm missed, Raymond!

The above is my graphic design for a Vaudevillian backdrop designed for our local theatre's production of the musical "Gypsy." I'm helping out the director of that show and when my production of "Dorian" goes into full gear in January, she will be working returning the favor, doing everything she can to help me out on my own show.

This design above and the FIVE others that I've designed are being painted by hand on 12' X 9' muslin backdrops, to be rolled into view ala the old-fashioned Vaudevillian milieu which the musical "Gypsy" takes place in.

On stage alongside these drops are 6' X 6' side panels, also designed by me to be complimentary to the central designs.

Offering this idea of elaborate backdrops for the show meant that I'm in charge of making the drops a reality - which means I've been spending Many hours at the theatre, painting these alongside the other volunteers.

SO - Not lost in cyberspace or anywhere else, just helping my theatre muse out as I inch my way towards the production of my own musical, "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray."

Next on my list of Things To Do here at the Forum - I'm really looking forward to the new piece you have posted in The Listening Room, Raymond - along with the other pieces I haven't had a chance to hear yet.

Carry on, fellow Garritanites!

Randy B.

Nice graphic. It has a Peter Max kind of a feeling, but ...different.

I like it!

Guess who mimics Randy, the one on the left or the right.
    I think the one on the left.

Dallas, TX

The one on the left is Randy, the one on the right is me when i checked the thread very late last night and he still had not answered the thread.

Glad to see you are still around Randy and everything is well. Very cool graphic! The Art Nouveau style (i think) expresses the Vaudeville era perfectly.

Best Regards

And here are the side panels used in conjunction with the previous backdrop. These are two separate pieces which will be on either side of the previous image. Three false prosceniums are being built, largest in the middle, and the two side prosceniums are revolving platforms so we can rotate various panels into view.

"Gypsy" takes place in a period from the 1920's through the 1930's, in America, when Vaudeville was dying.

This drop and accompanying panels are what Mama Rose uses as the set for the Vaudeville act featuring her two daughters - one of whom later matures into the famous Burlesque queen, Gypsy Rose Lee.

I've designed five other drops and panels for the production, and again today I'm going out for a long session of painting these on large sections of muslin.

Glad you like these, Jon - Peter Max! Yes, there is a touch of that, with the black outlines, rainbow motifs etc. I'm a child of the '60's, influences of the time linger on!

hehe, you're right, Raymond, the mask of comedy on the left is more suitable to represent me.

David "Leaf" - Not to worry. This production of "Gypsy" and then my own "Dorian" will indeed be keeping me away from the Forums more than I have been, but I won't be completely disappearing.

And these are actually based on Art Deco designs. That was the leading style of this period. You're thinking of the style from the late 19th Century, Art Nouveau, which will be more of an influence on the "Dorian" set designs.

Randy B.

Very Nice work, Randy.....Very nice, indeed.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum