• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Almost Like Being In Love

Share/Bookmark

Almost Like Being In Love

Hi Guys,

Here's another track from my "Big Band Brass" project:

www.stradjazz.com/AlmostLikeLove.mp3

Again it is a standard Big Band arrangement but the Alto, Tenor and Baritone sax parts are played on Trumpet, Bass Trumpet and Bass Trombone respectively. All the brass are multitracked and played by me.

Piano, Bass and Drums are JABB.

I still have final mixing to do, but I think that this version is pretty close to the finished article - I have to re-do the jazz solos though, they are really just place markers at the moment.

All comments/crtiques welcome, good and bad

Credits: Composed by Lerner & Lowe, arranged by Fred Karlin
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Almost Like Being In Love

Wow, this is really good! It puts a smile on my face so fast it's ridiculous. The rendering is awesome with the live brass. Great performance! You do it all.

Thanks for the "pick-me-up".
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Fine tooting, Old Chap! You did justice to the Fred Karlin chart.

Your next project: Learn to play all of the blinkin' saxes.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Wow! Wow! Wow! I loved it. Fantastic sound you're getting here. Playing in all the lines individually really makes this sound realistic.

Great stuff

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Richard N.
    Great chart. Terrific scoring.
    Being an ex-bass trombonist as well as an arranger, I descibed my writing by saying that I first wrote the lead Trumpet part (most of the time), my bass trombone part next and then just filled the holes. Who needs saxes????????
    My bias would be for a little more bass, maybe a jazz fretless.
    Kudos.
    sos

Thumbs up Re: Almost Like Being In Love

Greetings Richard,
    it goes without saying that this is a great rendition.

I'll make two comments:

1) Your trombone work is excellent. Really well done!

2) I love the muted sound and the overall instrumentation and balance.

The piece is relaxing and cool. Well done!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Outstanding job with this, Richard!

Loved it!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

As difficult as I know this is to do, having tried this myself, I have to say how impressed I am with the beautiful quality of the sounds. (It reminds me of Bill Prince's solo CD, where he played every single instrument you hear except Drums. )

There are major intonation issues here that could be addressed, were we dealing with a live band. But I know what a pain in the arse it would be to try and figure out every out of tune instrument line, and then go back and record it.
    Also being a bass trombone player, I have to say, I'd love to more bass bone on some pedals. Haha. But who wouldn't. A little more blasty in some areas if you know what I mean.

Here's a sample of the Bill Prince "Happy Thoughts," a CD where Bill Prince plays every instrument, except drums.
    http://dw.com.com/redir?siteid=31&ed...3%26r%3D20.asx
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Thanks for the feedback guys - it appears that I'm on the right track with this project (no pun intended).

I agree that the bass line is too quiet in places and needs sorting out.

I will review the intonation issues referred to - I'm not going for clinical perfection with this (I want to capture the feel of a live band) but I will fix any glaring errors.

The difiiculty with all of these projects is that it is so easy to get too close to them, and I start getting "used to" whatever timing or intonation errors exist and they almost start to sound correct. To counteract this I usually get a track to this sort of stage, then put it one side for a week or two and then come back to it refreshed with critical ears.

Thanks again guys.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Hey, Richard - This is great.

After your previous posting where you multi-tracked the Brass on a JABB rhythm section, I was hoping you'd come back with more. HOoray that you did!

And you said a mouthful here:

"...The difficulty with all of these projects is that it is so easy to get too close to them, and I start getting "used to" whatever timing or intonation errors exist and they almost start to sound correct..."

That is so true with any music project, even without the added complications of dealing with live tracks like you are in these projects.

I think it's a constant challenge for all of us to remain Just objective enough to be a Voice of Reason while working, and without leaving ourselves Too easily swayed by feedback when it eventually comes. Indeed many different and difficult balancing acts are played out while we work on our music.

"...I usually it (to) one side for a week or two and then come back to it refreshed with critical ears..."

Excellent advice, oft repeated but not always followed. While working, even a break of a 1/2 hour's duration can freshen up our ability to really Hear what we're doing.

Impressive what you're doing on these tracks, Richard. Thanks for running them by!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast