• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help..Sonar does not see my sibilus midi file

Share/Bookmark

Angry Help..Sonar does not see my sibilus midi file

Ok..... I've written my Christmas tune (or so I think I have) in Sibilus 4....I had the GPO Sib. ed. but I've freed it by using the Sib. update..... Sib. works fine.......Sonar works fine.....(that would be sonar 4 studio ed.) I have tried to export my christmas carol as a midi file to a distination I can find....I open sonar....found my distination folder and do not see my midi file........close all programs.......reopen sonar and try again.......same result......close sonar....open windows explorer to distination folder......midi file is there .....play midi file........sounds like midi file......close midi file.........open sonar......same result..Have gone to help files on both programs and I am following their directions..............Still same result.....

What am I doing wrong.........or what step am I missing?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Re: Help..Sonar does not see my sibilus midi file

Cliff,
    There could be the "Files of Type" filter, try to select "All Cakewalk", Where you open the Sonar.

Hope this helps!

Long

Long
    Thank you for the info......after posting this, and out of frustration I just for the heck of it did a right click and seen "Open with" and it said sonar something or other......so I clicked away......and it opened.....so I have been working away.......figured out how to load the instruments.......got an instance of Kt player 2 loaded for each of my 9 instruments.......I set all my levels and play my tune.......needs tweaking.........ok, go back and try to adjust levels........however, once I restart sonar all the levels go back to zero.........I tried to save them but no luck.........

any thoughts?

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Quote Originally Posted by truckermusic
    Long
    Thank you for the info......after posting this, and out of frustration I just for the heck of it did a right click and seen "Open with" and it said sonar something or other......so I clicked away......and it opened.....so I have been working away.......figured out how to load the instruments.......got an instance of Kt player 2 loaded for each of my 9 instruments.......I set all my levels and play my tune.......needs tweaking.........ok, go back and try to adjust levels........however, once I restart sonar all the levels go back to zero.........I tried to save them but no luck.........

any thoughts?

Cliff
    In each voice, enter a CC#1 value of something, before the first note. Otherwise you sounds will be inaudible or distorted. You will probably need to map volume to CC#1, in each channel.

Richard

however, once I restart sonar all the levels go back to zero.........I tried to save them but no luck...
    In the Sonar menu go to Options --> Project and uncheck Zero controllers when play stops;

So, Cliff - How you doing with those problems? This thread probably has all the answers - When you open a project in Sonar, the default filter is for it to look for "normal" projects, which are .cwp files. As Long pointed out, you need to ask to see all kinds of projects in order to see MIDI files.

Or, as another option, you can choose to Import MIDI files.

Your second post, describing how you managed to get your MIDI file to open by the circuitous route of using "open with" - Obviously you don't want to do that all the time just to use Sonar. As per the above - both ways will work.

tmonaghan was very helpful to give you a screenshot showing you the "zero controllers" option which Must always be unchecked when you work on a Sonar project that uses Garritan libraries. Notice that is in the Project tab, so you have to choose that option each time you start a project, unless you're starting from a template that has all such preferences pre-set.

Hope you're doing OK. Let us know if you aren't!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

To Everyone...........

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.............I will try all these options tonite when I go home.........Everything I did over the past weekend I had to scrape for one reason or another........but I am UNWILLING to give up...........I do think that the unchecking of the zero box is what I need.......

now all I need to do is either get Sibilus to export a midi file that sonar can see........or get sonar to see the midi file that Sibilus has exported..........I am not sure which one is the problem?

Any ideas?

Again, Thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Hello again, Cliff

I just now looked through the Sibelius site to see if there was info there that could be helpful. What I wanted to see in black and white was that Sibelius can export standard MIDI files - Couldn't find that info, but surely it must be able to.

I'm glad you'll have time soon to do the thing of unchecking the "zero controllers" option in Sonar, that's going to fix that big problem for you.

But the other remaining issue about Sonar finding the Sibelius MIDI file - I'm not understanding why that's still a problem.

Sonar can see any standard MIDI File in whatever folder you have it. As Long first said on this thread, and I reiterated, you just have to make sure that the open file pop-up isn't set for looking for existing .cwp files, "normal" files. No matter where you direct that browsing window, it has to see MIDI files and then open them.

Or, also as I said before, you can choose the Import MIDI option, which sets the search filter automatically for you so that Sonar sees MIDI files.

Of course once it's open, you'll have a lot of setting up to do, directing the MIDI tracks to the GPO instruments you want etc. And then you want to save it as a .cwp file asap so that your Kontact instances et al will open up next time you work on the project.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy
    Sibilus is suppose to be able to export standard Midi files....just select File>Export>Midi then select your destination folder and Bam! There it is.....only in my case there is no Bam!

By using my window explorer icon I can follow my folder tree to my selected destination and see a file (I am sure that it is MIDI other wise I would not have been able to load the information into sonar) that I think is my midi folder However, When I am in Sonar and do File>import>Midi and then select the destination folder it is empty.........

So, my work around is to use my windows explorer icon, go to my destination folder, right click on the folder I want and select "open with" and choose sonar.

Now sometimes this works and sometimes it does not....but if I keep trying eventually I get it.....

I then work from there.

Now I do have some other misc. midi files around that I have opened in sonar before (even this weekend to try) and sonar has seen them and loaded the info......I am thinking that maybe sibilus is the problem......but as i've stated before..i have searched the help files and I am doing the procedure as told.....so I am at a little bit of a loss........

I will try to do a screen short when I am at home later tonite and send it to you.......It may help explain the problem........

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Randy
    Sibilus is suppose to be able to export standard Midi files....just select File>Export>Midi then select your destination folder and Bam! There it is.....only in my case there is no Bam!

By using my window explorer icon I can follow my folder tree to my selected destination and see a file (I am sure that it is MIDI other wise I would not have been able to load the information into sonar) that I think is my midi folder However, When I am in Sonar and do File>import>Midi and then select the destination folder it is empty.........

So, my work around is to use my windows explorer icon, go to my destination folder, right click on the folder I want and select "open with" and choose sonar.

Now sometimes this works and sometimes it does not....but if I keep trying eventually I get it.....

I then work from there.

Now I do have some other misc. midi files around that I have opened in sonar before (even this weekend to try) and sonar has seen them and loaded the info......I am thinking that maybe sibilus is the problem......but as i've stated before..i have searched the help files and I am doing the procedure as told.....so I am at a little bit of a loss........

I will try to do a screen short when I am at home later tonite and send it to you.......It may help explain the problem........

Cliff
    Cliff, I use Sonar 4 and Sibelius 4.1 without this problem occurring. Maybe I am confused by the comments. So I will state my way of doing what you are trying to do.

Sibelius: export as midi to location of choice.

Sonar: open file from the location you used. You mentioned import, and that confuses me a bit. Just open the midi file the same as you open any file in Sonar.

Verify that the file extension is .mid; if not there is a problem.

Richard

Go Back to forum