• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trekkin With CMB

Trekkin With CMB

In the small amount of spare time I've had recently, I just HAD to do at least a little something with my spankin' new copy of the Concert and Marching Band Library.

Here is Jerry Goldsmith's theme for "Star Trek - The Motion Picture." I based this on a MIDI file sequenced by Gary W. copyright 1998 by Blue Max Distribution, based on the arrangement by Calvin Custer.

I re-worked the file for all brass, added more woodwind lines, and expanded the percussion lines.

I've placed it in a Huge venue, and worked the piece up as a Concert Band performance - The Police Whistle isn't actually appropriate for this setting, but it was too much fun to use, so I added it.

I used a huge array of instruments from the new CMB library, mostly the Group instruments, and offer it up as my first fun experiment with the latest, possibly greatest, Garritan library.

I look forward to using CMB in an original piece!

Randy B.

Re: Trekkin With CMB

Very cool randy. I am a star trek fan. Were you using a pulsating like effect on this thru most of the piece. If you did, I kind of thought something was wrong with my speakers or something. It was a little too much for me. If you were not using that effect, then I had better check out my sound system.
    Thanks for posting. CMB seems like an impressive product.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Trekkin With CMB

Man, Randy, that library has some awesome percussion, i have to get it. You have done a very fine job with this rendition and use of instruments here, but there is some tremelo effect, if that's the right word, that it seems there is too much of, not on individual instruments or groups, but something overall, i think. Something that i think if reduced it would sound much better.

Hi Randy, I really liked the big space you put this in. The tremolo effect is possibly just the sound of the triplet quavers that play under the melody. Maybe they need to be slightly more staccato.
    This is going to be a great library! must get mine soon.

You can listen to my latest piece here -

Orcas Island

Out-of-this-world Randy!

You boldly went where no man has gone before!

“The reactor core is contained, Captain! Sounds from the CoMB are spreading past the secondary containment into the rest of the ship!"

Thanks for posting this. Brought an ear-to-ear Faranghi smile!

Gary Garritan

Hello all! - Thanks for beaming aboard for my brief, first experiment with CMB.

Kev, you have it right, that the "pulsating" or "tremolo" is the sound of quite a few layers of brass playing the quarter note triplets. I noticed that the results had a unreal wavering effect. The MIDI file I worked from was tightly quantized, like most files one finds, and though I adjusted some of the note On attacks, I didn't change the durations which are probably still too perfectly alike. This was done rather quickly, and quite a bit more editing would really be needed to make this more organic. The results of over quantization can indeed cause all sorts of strange un-real effects.

But I didn't add any effects to this other than some EQ, so to make those triplets more organic wouldn't be a matter of just turning off or reducing the effect of a plugin.

Jay, you're certainly right that CMB is an impressive product!

David "Leaf" - Yeah, lots of great percussion to work with in this. I layered multiple versions of some of the drums to get the extra largeness in this file.

Gary G! - I'm so glad you like this. I can hardly wait for when I have more time to dig in to CMB with my own material!

Thanks again, everyone.

Randy B.

Post Re: Trekkin With CMB

That must have been a blast to put together Randy! Nice job!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

"Captain, I believe I see a bright future for this officer
    -- in what you humans call 'band arranging'..."

Who would have thought marching bad for StarTrek??

I am not sure whether Gene Roddenbury would be turning in his grave or grinning from ear to ear!

Great fun! I'd like to hear Lalo Schifrin's Mission Impossible (the original) done with these samples...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast