• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can anyone comment on the VSL Special Keyboards?

Share/Bookmark

Can anyone comment on the VSL Special Keyboards?

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a decent prepared piano sample collection for a long time now, and I'm very tempted to splurge in a major way with the new VSL Special Keyboards Collection... However, the demos from the VSL website just aren't varied enough for me to get a good idea whats actually in there...

If you own the collection, can you comment on the quality/versatility of the prepared piano instrument? Are there any major strengths/weaknesses to comment on?

Please, I'd love to hear your suggestions! If this library doesn't cut it, I may just tear open my baby grand and have at it

-Alex

Re: Can anyone comment on the VSL Special Keyboards?

nobody? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis
    Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a decent prepared piano sample collection for a long time now, and I'm very tempted to splurge in a major way with the new VSL Special Keyboards Collection... However, the demos from the VSL website just aren't varied enough for me to get a good idea whats actually in there...

If you own the collection, can you comment on the quality/versatility of the prepared piano instrument? Are there any major strengths/weaknesses to comment on?

Please, I'd love to hear your suggestions! If this library doesn't cut it, I may just tear open my baby grand and have at it

-Alex
    I also found the demos very unvaried (although Guy Bacos' Elegy is gorgeous). Is there anyone who has the library who could tell us about some of the other prepared piano articulations?

In prepared piano you have 9 effects:

-Chain
    -Double-screws
    -Harmonic
    -Harmonic secco
    -Foil
    -Glass
    -Stick
    -Stick roll
    -Glissandi

The demos there thus far probably only covered a few of these although I think in film music when it's used sparingly it could be very effective, it's the kind of sound you wonder for a sec, what's that instrument?

Thanks Guy

I actually went and tried to look at the articulations this morning, and found the page under construction, so your post is well appreciated. Now I'm off to persuade my wife of the virtues of prepared piano sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Now I'm off to persuade my wife of the virtues of prepared piano sounds.
    Will be doing the same!!

Thanks Guy-

If anyone can comment on the quality of the Special Keyboards collection in general, I'd love your input-

I have the collection.

The prepared piano has some great effects. One of them has this fun tremolo effect. Some of the sounds just sound muted. Perhaps some reverb may help with that. I should check to see if the "Banshee" would be playable with the sounds that are avalible.

The harmonium is great. I was surprised by all the various stops that are included. The sound is great. Some stops have a nice accordian quality (which I like).

The harpsichord is also excellent. The nice thing about this instrument is the repetiton samples. IF you want to mock up Vivaldi, you have the best tool for the job. There are three stops for the harpsichord.

Go Back to forum