• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need advice about memory

Share/Bookmark

Need advice about memory

Hello,
    I will change my system (PC) and as I use a lot of Vsti ( vienna, Gvi, Kontakt...) I want to know about the diferrence/influence between the speed of DDR2 memory !
    I know the difference in price but not in performance..So I don't want to give to eat caviar to my pigs ;-)
    Dup

Re: Need advice about memory

Hi Dup.
    My only advice about RAM is try to buy Kingston memory. It is the best trademark by far and has life time warranty.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

I'm not fully answering your questin either, but I do want to say that often you don't have a wide variety of choices as far as what memory to use. You should consult your Motherboards manual and see exactly what kind of RAM is required for your machine. RAM is a really complicated thing, with lots of different speeds, levels of quality, and number of pins. Be careful when choosig your RAM!

That said, I've heard from people smarter than me that DDR2 RAM, when properly configured, is much faster than DDR RAM.

One more thing- many motherboards require that certain kinds of RAM be placed in specific slots on the board. You might not get the same performance from your RAM if they are in slots 1 and 2 as you would if they were in slots 1 and 3!

Good luck with your search,

Alex

Right now the standard is DDR2 800. This is the easiest and cheapest to find. Check your motherboard on the the speed it can handle and the voltage requirement. I've been using GigaByte motherboards with Corsair XMS memory for the last couple systems I've built and both systems have been very stable without a single crash in almost a year.

Jim

Hello,
    Thanks for your advices..My choice can be an Asus P5B-V beacause in stock so I have the choice of memory from ddr2 533 to 800 ..
    So is it a good choice to have the video on board ? or I must forget this gain of money?

Jim:
    did you find that the the ddr2 800 load faster or better than the 533?
    I ask this because the 800 are not in stock! What is the gigabyte motherboard model you speak? with video on board?

Best regards and thanks again
    Dup

Dup,

I'm not sure where you are buying your parts at. Newegg.com has about 100 different DDR2 800 memory chips available as well as large amounts of motherboards. Right now you can purchase 2 GB (2 - 1 GB sticks) of DDR2 800 memory with a rebate for $65.

I haven't installed a video card into my music machine yet. It's actually working quite well with the onboard video. It does use a little of my RAM memory but this hasn't been much of a problem yet. My plan is to bump up the memory to at least 4 GB (2 - 2 GB sticks) before adding a video card. The 4 GB upgrades for DDR2 800 memory are the most popular and the price is dropping rapidly. It's now getting around the $200 mark.

Jim

Go Back to forum