• Register
  • Help

Topic: Little Piano Book No.2

Little Piano Book No. 2

I have found a few hours to put together a second piece in the set - slow and with fewer notes than No.1... I haven't finalised it, but have uploaded it anyway, it can be obtained from

as before. In particular I'm not convinced the chord appearing at 2:40 (counting the 4 second lead-in in the time) is appropriate: it could be seen as a "chord by fourths", B-flat, E-flat, A-flat, or as an incomplete ninth I suppose, but I'm just not sure it fits. My ears imagine something close to this, but I don't think it's quite right, so probably an editorial change later when I decide.

Re: Little Piano Book No.2

This is a pretty, introspective number, brooding perhaps, but not really dark. Reminds one of Erik Satie.

The chord at 2:40 is Bb7sus (or Ebsus), which you resolve by change of register to a plain Bb triad. Nothing out of the ordinary in context.

What piano is this? Is it the GPO Steinway? If it is, I'll have to work more at getting that velvety tone you've produced here.

Good luck with the rest of the "Little Piano Book".

Thanks, I would go for calling it Bb7sus but in fact that wasn't how I thought of it at the time... I'm still thinking about it anyway. The piano is indeed the GPO Steinway. I really like the instrument.

This is quite a busy little piece. I like it alot. The gpo piano sounds great. It is a very expressive piece that seems to go into a non tonal sound, not atonality, but a non traditional sound. Thanks for posting.

HI, rendalli

I had time to hear one more piece this morning, and I'm really glad I found this piano piece of yours that I'd missed earlier.

It's quite a mood this evokes. Possibly of rumination on an unresolved regret which remains haunting.

I certainly leave editorial choices for changes to you. What you have is very effective.

And thank heavens you didn't drown the piano in an overly-large venue via reverb. Thank you for that. And I certainly agree that the GPO piano sounds superb here.

Randy B.

A sombre piece which can be played by younger pianists
    looking for a new approach to contemporary music.

Played correctly, it does keep the listener's attention and
    will be a good study for intermediate students.

Enjoyable, Rendalli

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Well done, Rendalli -- a worthwhile addition to "the book".

Aside from the fact that this is an interesting piece in its
    subtle progress, just as Jack said, this is excellent material
    for younger or intermediate pianists. Learning to work
    well and expressively with slower, less "notey" pieces is
    equally as important to a developing pianist as all the
    flashy technique -- and, indeed, is, in some ways, harder
    to do.

Nice job on this. Keep it coming!

My best,

Wilton, NH

I really enjoyed this piece. I found it very moody and very interesting. Looking forward to the next chapter in your little book.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum