• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Psalm 84

Psalm 84

If you have a few minutes, please take a listen to a piece I was recently commissioned to compose for Choir, Fl., Cl., and Piano. It is a setting of Psalm 84 (How lovely is Thy Dwelling Place). This is the GPO rendition, with w.w.'s playing the voice parts. Just go to:

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: Psalm 84

Fantastic work you have done here. Not only the comissioned work but the presentation using the GPO winds. I admit I am unfamiliar with this particular setting of Dwelling Place. But it was moving nevertheless.

Hi Dean,

This is beautiful -- and coming after the setting of this text by Brahms I think it is (much used in churches), well, that's a hard act to follow, but you do it "with honors"! Its rising and falling reminds me of the undulation of waves in a gentle ocean.

Best wishes with your commission, and thank you for posting this here. I hope you post more. (The selfish reason is I like to set the psalms to music, too, and like to hear what others are doing in that line.)

...As lovely as the dwelling place it describes...

Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Thank you very much for the kind words. Yeah, try to set that text WITHOUT the Brahms version ringing in your ears ... I found it most difficult ... and it still came out sounding a bit like the master ... oh well ...

Thanks Again,

Pacific Northwest

Very peaceful, with a gentle flow, beautiful and enjoyable.

Lovely! I really enjoyed this and look forward to hearing more from you

You can listen to my latest piece here -

Beautiful work. Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it.

Larry G. Alexander

Rather than just say how much I enjoyed this piece, I will tell you why.

First, you stayed sparse in your use of instruments. Almost as if a church without the funding for full orchestra, was playing using volunteer musicians.

I liked how one instrument would play, then be taken over by another, rather than dominate throughout.

The lead flute seemed to almost flitter about like a bird, which provided some real movement for the piece.

If this piece is ever performed with a real choir, record it and post it here so we can listen and compare.

You did David's work proud. - Schneb
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Very excellent writing. I haven't heard the Brahms,
    but what you did seemed to underscore the text
    and what a wonderful rendition.

I, too, would love to hear this done with a real
    choir. The moving lines and vocal textures are
    just perfect for this piece.

BRAVO, Dean

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Talking Re: Psalm 84

Thank you all for listening and for your excellent feedback. Schenb (?) mentioned the "fluttering" sound in the flute and clarinet ... yes, that is where the text reads," My flesh and my heart sing" ... etc.) It seemed appropriate to me. I am due to receive a recording of the piece from the choir which commisioned it. When I get it, I would be glad to share. I couldn't be at the performance, so I'm as curious as you as to how it came out in real life. It was sung/played for the retirement of a church choir director, and I waa told that the whole service was most moving ... so we shall see.

Thanks again for taking a listen,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast