• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KP2 GPO Instruments, some are DFD

Share/Bookmark

KP2 GPO Instruments, some are DFD

Most of the instruments really load into RAM, but there are a few exceptions and I'm not sure if this is intended.

In the harps, only Chromatic harp 1 lite loads into RAM, the others do DFD. Which is no good since it's especially these instruments which can develop high voice counts.

Then there is n-bass drum KS which plays from DFD. Also no good since a tremolo will produce high voice counts.

Can that be switched to RAM, please?

Bests,
    - Mathis

Re: KP2 GPO Instruments, some are DFD

Quote Originally Posted by mathis
    That's not a good idea. The less instruments, you have to load into RAM, the more you can load. If you have problems with a slow HDD unable to keep up with polyphony, you can solve this problem with a faster HDD. Problems with too little RAM are not so easy to resolve, as long as the Kontakt Player and hosts are 32 bit.

Well, almost all patches are designed to be RAM instruments and that also was always the concept. The legato programming relies on RAM. The instruments I'm mentioning are the ONLY instruments of a complete orchestra setup which run from disc.

Setting these particular instruments hardly helps anything for loading more instruments and is really the wrong choice because of the high polyphony they're developing.

And since I don't see any logical concept why these particular patches should be DFD it really must be considered a programming bug.

The legato programming relies on RAM. The instruments I'm mentioning are the ONLY instruments of a complete orchestra setup which run from disc.
    No, it doesn't. All GPO instruments can work in DFD mode. The RAM mode design of GPO is from a time, where DFD was less mature than today and HDD's slower. Granted, running the smaller instruments in DFD mode wouldn't save much RAM, but running the larger instruments in DFD mode would save RAM, so if there is any bug/design flaw with GPO KP2 in this respect, it is that too few instruments run in DFD mode by default.

I always remember these warnings about DFD that GPO's programming would be limited. Which makes total sens to me because the legato functions in SIPS is also only working in RAM mode. You can't cut off the attack in DFD.

Well, anyway, let's wait for an official statement.

For the time being, am I right in my impression that there doesn't seem to be any option in Kontakt Player 2 to disable DFD whatsoever? In KP1 it was possible to choose.

For the time being, am I right in my impression that there doesn't seem to be any option in Kontakt Player 2 to disable DFD whatsoever? In KP1 it was possible to choose.
    I'm sure you already know that if you have the full Kontakt 2 sample player and the original GPO instruments, you have a per instrument choice of running in DFD or RAM mode.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I always remember these warnings about DFD that GPO's programming would be limited. Which makes total sens to me because the legato functions in SIPS is also only working in RAM mode. You can't cut off the attack in DFD.

Well, anyway, let's wait for an official statement.

From Dumb Dumb Here:

What are "we" talking about here? DFD, SIPS? Could someone explain to me what all this means? It sounds interesting and if it has to do with legato functions and such, I would like to know about this kind of stuff. Thank you. Nickie? Anyone?
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    From Dumb Dumb Here:

What are "we" talking about here? DFD, SIPS? Could someone explain to me what all this means? It sounds interesting and if it has to do with legato functions and such, I would like to know about this kind of stuff. Thank you. Nickie? Anyone?
    Well, Samantha, DFD refers to Direct From Disk. I have always avoided it and play to continue avoiding it. I have disabled it. I can't remember what SIPS means, but somebody will soon tell you.

By the way, my Samantha Jane (Holstein) toe has been troublesome for a few days!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, Samantha, DFD refers to Direct From Disk. I have always avoided it and play to continue avoiding it. I have disabled it. I can't remember what SIPS means, but somebody will soon tell you.

By the way, my Samantha Jane (Holstein) toe has been troublesome for a few days!

Richard
    Bring me back up to speed about your Samantha Jane. Isn't Holstein a type of cow?
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Most of the instruments really load into RAM, but there are a few exceptions and I'm not sure if this is intended.

In the harps, only Chromatic harp 1 lite loads into RAM, the others do DFD. Which is no good since it's especially these instruments which can develop high voice counts.

Then there is n-bass drum KS which plays from DFD. Also no good since a tremolo will produce high voice counts.

Bests,
    - Mathis
    Mathis,

We wish it were that easy. GPO was originally all RAM based. When Kontakt 2 came out it broke some of the Kontakt 1 programming and functions. Some things that were previously possible were no longer possible. For instance, legato could only be done with RAM whereas other functions could only be best with DFD. Tom pulled his hair out with this (I think he is bald by now).

So we had to struggle and work around all of the new changes with Kontakt 2 and this is the reason for some instruments being RAM based and some DFD. Unfortunately, unlike Kontakt 1, with Kontakt 2 the user has no option to choose between DFD or RAM. We wish it did have the option but we have no control as this was an NI decision. If you have full Kontakt you can go in and have that option.

Best regards,

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum