That's easy: I don't burn at all.

Be cool!

Re: How do you ...

Use Sunscreen!
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

I don't know, as it has not happened yet. Perhaps as I get older, it may come about. There have been a few times when I thought I had used up all my music, but it has yet to be the case.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Keep from burning out?
    Walk away from it for a while. Clear it from your mind and pursue other interest for a time. Always realize that it is a part of you and will never die, or go away. You can go away from it and that is a good thing, because when you return you will appreciate it more and see it more clearly.

For about ten years playing music was not a part of my life. For more than twenty years composing was not even a thought in any part of my mind. In fact, that fateful day in April 2006, that I walked into my local music store composing was not on my mind in the least bit. The clerk there showed me the MakeMusic free download of NotePad and not even then was composing on my mind. About 10:30 that night I finally got around to downloading NotePad. I never went to bed. The next day I was back in my local music store to purchase the 2004 version of PrintMusic. In rushed home installed it and then immediately went on line to to the upgrade to version 2006. I couldn't even wait for the few days it would take to just oreer the full 2006 version. I had to have it that very next day. Once I installed 2004 I could manage to wait the few days it took for the 2006 upgrade. I have never looked back since.

For the first year I had to be composing everyday. I hated all things that kept me from getting to the computer to compose. In the past six months it does not even bother me if I go for several days and not compose. I now realize that during the periods of "non-productivity" my spirit is still hearing the music that is yet to be written. Years ago I used to practice a collective four to six hours a day. Mind you I only practiced when the television commercials came on and I learned a great deal of music then. Now I compose and watch television. When the commercials come on I work on the composition and when my televsion program comes on I go back to it. I try to do many things in the course of each day and that keep any of it from seeming like work. For me composing is my "playtime." I don't write with the end results being live performance,selling the score or a CD. Now that would be a wonderful end product, but I compose because I love playing with harmonies and melodies. I love playing with Finale and GPO. Before I purchased notation software and GPO, I use to play computer games a lot, for hours and loved it. Now I play with Finale and GPO and love them even more than I could ever have loved playing the computer games.

If you feel a measure of burn-out. Walk away. It will be there when you get back. Go fishing, fly a kite, read books, watch movies, learn to paint, sculpt or wood carving. I've taken up wood carving and I love it. I bought all kinds of little drill bits and a small crafting drill. I collected wooden branches and hope to create one-of-a-kind conductor's batons.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Composing is my hobby. It's what I use to keep from burning out in the other, non-musical areas of my life.

--gary shannon

I don't. I'm pretty burned out right now.

It doesn't seem to keep me from starting new projects, though.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

... but seriously,

when I work on a large-scale project (one of the symphonies, a large sonata, or the piano concerto I just finished, for example) I tend to take a break at a major juncture in the compositional process, be that between movements, or at the end of a particularly large section of exposition.

And by "break" I mean a few weeks off, or a month, of doing nothing but menial musical tasks (recopying materials, cleaning up older scores, preparing lessons for students).

I ALSO take breaks by playing hours on end of World of Warcraft... you'd be surprised how slaughtering stuff can be quite the relaxing experience!

Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly "emotionally exhausted", I'll put on some recordings of music that I KNOW will make me cry. Somehow, for me, that's quite a cathartic experience. Opening the floodgates can let me purge some of the pent-up emotions that build up while I'm working.

Go Back to forum