• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Computer questions - i lost track of technology

Share/Bookmark

Computer questions - i lost track of technology

Im looking towards byuing a new computer (again) but i completely lost track of technology (again) and im wondering about a few things now...

Is it OK to run Windows Vista?
    Im a cubase sx 3 user, and mainly run software libs, and im not looking to upgrade anything for a while, as im happy woth my current software.
    So will all my older xp stuff still work on vista without any upgrades? like kontakt players, cubase, etc etc. or is it safer to get xp pro? But then i might miss out on newer software that might come along on ...

Whats the deal with dual and quadruple cores?
    I mean the last time i bought a pc, pentium 4 was hot ~~~~, and now i have no clue...is it a big point to get 4 core processor for music appz, or will a good old fashioned 2 core be just as usefull? And is cpu speed still more important than the number of cores?

32bit or 64bit OS? what?
    To utilize as much ram as possible, must i run some 32 bit os, or 64 bit even?
    So can the old xp allow me to run 8 gb of ram, or must i go with vista here?
    And will cubase and k2 realy utilze 8 gb or ram? I dont follow...
    recomandations please...

And finally: godspeed.
    Should i get a small sized Raptor drive ( puny 150GB) for some selected libs that i use alot, of is more space better.? and Whats with all the different configs of drives now, sata raid , sereal raid etc etc. Help me, im drowing here!!! hehe. Do i realy need a super fast 10.000rpm drive?

So, i will be ultra mega happy for replies here, i need some advice truly!!!
    Also keep in mind, i will not go online withe the computer, not play any games or things to that extent. Perhaps just some video editing and the random x.rated movie every now and then ,lol.

Re: Computer questions - i lost track of technology

I'm just as confused as you are!
    Besides your fine questions, I would like to add another two:

1) I heard that the 10.000 rpm drives are extremely noisy compared to a standard 7200 rpm drive. Is that true?

2) What about dual core vs. quad core when it comes to noise level?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Henrik

yes probably.
    More power and faster speeds will need more cooling , and ultimatly produce more noise. But thats ok, if need be, for me atleast.

But now we would both be gratefull for any answers here, helpfull or not.
    I know theres tons of people here that are more than knowlegeable on the matter, so please please take 5 minutes to gimme an answer.

it would be very helpfull indeed!

I found some interesting links:

"V" For Vista (by Gary Garritan of this list btw.)
    http://rainrecording.co.uk/vista/v-for-vista

Vista Performance Tests
    http://rainrecording.co.uk/vista/performance

Vista compatibility of various hard- and software
    http://rainrecording.co.uk/vista/

Understanding the Vista Product Editions
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

Hope this helps.

I also know very little about PCs, apart from what I pick up here.

Regarding cores. There was a thread last week which suggested that most real time applications don't make use of multiple core processors, because of the timing challenges they present. I don't know if that's true of Cubase, but, if it is, then a very fast single core might still be the way to go.

As I understand it, most applications are now Vista compatible, or soon will be, and many, which are no longer being supported, are running fine 'as is,' though there's no guarantee. On the other hand, I believe Vista requires about a jillion MB just to sit there and do nothing. So if you like the software you're running, and you're not planning updates anytime soon, then you may well get more performance out of XP. Of course, buying Vista would leave you poised to go 64bit, and thus access more RAM, but, as yet, most developers haven't given firm timelines for their 64bit versions.

Vista should, in theory, access 8GB RAM, but I don't think applications such as Kontakt will use this until they go 64 bit. Someone in another thread suggested that it may be possible to run separate instances of 32bit aps, accessing different blocks of RAM, thus utilising the whole 8GB, but I haven't heard of anyone actually managing it.

I don't know a lot about drives either. But it seems to me that my drives (7200 SATA) have never been the limiting factor in my use of samples. Using several of these in a RAID configuration would increase performance even further. Whereas 10000rpm Raptors are, as you say, tiny, apparently run much hotter and noisier, and don't necessarily give the difference in performance that might be suggested by the difference in rpm.

Personally I've just started upgrading my studio, and have decided to go with quad core machine for Cubase (I didn't realise it might not use the multiple cores) but with XP rather than Vista. I fitted 4GB RAM, and intend to do the 3GB switch, so that I can run the Vienna Strings as a plug in. Once the Vienna Instruments go 64 bit I'll probably add some 64bit slave machines, but keep my Cubase machine 32bit.

Sorry I'm not an expert. There are some really knowledgable people around here - maybe they'll notice the post later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    Im looking towards byuing a new computer (again) but i completely lost track of technology (again) and im wondering about a few things now...

Is it OK to run Windows Vista?
    Im a cubase sx 3 user, and mainly run software libs, and im not looking to upgrade anything for a while, as im happy woth my current software.
    So will all my older xp stuff still work on vista without any upgrades? like kontakt players, cubase, etc etc. or is it safer to get xp pro? But then i might miss out on newer software that might come along on ...

Whats the deal with dual and quadruple cores?
    I mean the last time i bought a pc, pentium 4 was hot ~~~~, and now i have no clue...is it a big point to get 4 core processor for music appz, or will a good old fashioned 2 core be just as usefull? And is cpu speed still more important than the number of cores?

32bit or 64bit OS? what?
    To utilize as much ram as possible, must i run some 32 bit os, or 64 bit even?
    So can the old xp allow me to run 8 gb of ram, or must i go with vista here?
    And will cubase and k2 realy utilze 8 gb or ram? I dont follow...
    recomandations please...

And finally: godspeed.
    Should i get a small sized Raptor drive ( puny 150GB) for some selected libs that i use alot, of is more space better.? and Whats with all the different configs of drives now, sata raid , sereal raid etc etc. Help me, im drowing here!!! hehe. Do i realy need a super fast 10.000rpm drive?

So, i will be ultra mega happy for replies here, i need some advice truly!!!
    Also keep in mind, i will not go online withe the computer, not play any games or things to that extent. Perhaps just some video editing and the random x.rated movie every now and then ,lol.
    i'll try to help you since the experts maybe are still on vacation ....about Vista..the only that i can say: Don't Upgrade. i lost all the links and stuff but it is still not ready for making music ....the best setup is Xp 64 bit. When Cubase 4 will become 64 (hopefully before 2008) you will be able to use a LOT of ram eheh something like 128 gb. ....so maybe i would upgrade Cubase when 4.1 version is out!
    About the PC...yes 4 processors are better than 2 ....also because if you get a mobo where you can put 2 dual cores than you can upgrade to 2 quad cores when Cubase will be ready for that too (now it isn't) ....the speed is a matter of money...2.0 ghz each should be cool so you would have 4 processors going at 2.0ghz = 8 ghz....but if you the money sky's the limit !! ;P
    Harddrive...you will be fine with a "normal" 7,200 rpm since 10,000 are very loud and don't make all that difference.....
    sorry for my english and again maybe someone can give more info!

thanx for that answer.!
    Well, my dilemma is this, i know its just a matter of time before having to get Vista anyway, but im curious towards what that means towards the software i already own.

mainly im worried that i will have to get paid updates for Cubase and kontakt 2, wich i cannot afford on top of a new machine, id like to get Vista 32 bit, and use the sonmewhat older versions of the software i have, for the time being. But that might not be possible?

Like all the 1 million different kontakt players etc, and im just aksing for peoples experience realy...did it work for you, and what did not work?
    There are many theories, but i still dont know anyone that runs a daw on vista, so before taking the plunge, it would be great to hear what peoples experience is on the subject.

Also, i think Cubase DO support mulitple cores, even from version 2 or something, i remember seeing a checkbox in the audio setup to turn on support for multiple cpus.

But but regarding that, if one runs an app that does not support 4 cores, does that mean the remaining 2 or even 3 cpus are left unsused and their power just unnutilized? so in effect all you get is one 2.6 cpu, wich is basicly what i already have on my old p4 machine?

The only thing you'll surely notice with the 10k rpm drive is the noise level! My advice is to get a couple of 500 GB &16MB cache (best GB/price ratio) drives in a raid matrix. You will be fine running multiple audio tracks (more than you'll probably need).

As for the CPU issue:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55349

I'd personally go for the new Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU. 4 cores are a waste of money at this time considering a lot of applications barely use 2 cores.
    Consider this:
    MainBoard: GIGABYTE P35T-DQ6
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
    Memory: 2 x Corsair QUAD2X4096-6400C5DHX (you'll have 8 GB RAM - 4x2048; CAS 5, but I rather have the extra GBs over the faster timings)

If money is no issue for you disregard all the above. Go for the highest ranked components, although I don't guarantee they'll work better .

Stay away from Vista for now. Go with Windows XP. You can either use the 32 bit for now or get the x64 version and be ready as more developers release their 64 bit versions.

I would second MindToAsk's hardware recommendations. I'm noticing in my Core 2 Duo that one processor is still favored over the other. Certain plugins seem to like just one core. BTW, I can run a ridiculous amount of plugins and rarely go over 30% CPU. The only plugins that are CPU heavy on my system are the Arturia MiniMoog V and especially the CS-80V.

Jim

okay, priciate all the answers.
    So there is a 64bit version of xp as well? So why would anyone get vista for a year or so then? So what excatly are the ram limitations for xp 32 and 64 (?) bit versions? And why?

Go Back to forum