• Register
  • Help

Topic: Microphones?

Share/Bookmark

Microphones?

Hey,
    I've been listening and posting for about a year now and have heard a few pieces that have been played by the composers,
    I wanted to know what sort of microphone was used.
    I play the trumpet/cornet and want to get some decent recordings but cant decide on a mike?!?!?

Can anyone help?

Dan

Re: Microphones?

Hold tight, there's is one man I would trust to give me the best possible info on this question. He should be along soon.
    Styxx

well ive just recently bought a samson Q7 which is great for all things instrumental, it being a copy of the industry standard (from what im told) the SM58, but i dont know that much about mics, so I await the microphone master....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    What type of music and how big is your space? Is it a treated space?

Stephen
    The type of music is basically classical/concert band stuff (marches, medleys ext.) but i also play jazz/blues ext.
    My space is small and not treated.

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan
    Hey,
    I've been listening and posting for about a year now and have heard a few pieces that have been played by the composers,
    I wanted to know what sort of microphone was used.
    I play the trumpet/cornet and want to get some decent recordings but cant decide on a mike?!?!?

Can anyone help?

Dan
    On a budget? Try:
    Shure SM-58
    Rode NT-1 - surprisingly good bang for buck, but might be a bit bright for the trumpet

Got a couple grand to spare:
    royer r-121-$1,295; a cut above all the rest, especially for trumpet. need quality high gain mic pre for it. You can get a decent high gain pre amp for under $600.00, like Grace 101 Ribbon version.

I've used Sure beta 58, 87, AT-4040 and 4050 and a blue, blue, blue.
    Styxx

Using a L/D condenser will most always get you better results that a dynamic mic like a 58. Try searching through some of the recording forums. There has to be someone there who's recorded a trumpet. Good luck.

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

I have a trumpet section to record soon myself and I was originally planning on using u87's. But I was thinking of trying some Earthworks qtc40's instead. They're really natural sounding with extended impulse and high end response. Anyone round here ever use anything like that on trumpets?

Howard

The Oktava MK012a-MSP (Matched Pair) are fantastic value for money. I have a pair and have recorded orchestras, chambermusic etc.

http://oktava.com/inc/sdetail/489

The sound is almost identical to Neumann KM84 (a pair approx. $2.000) but the price for a pair of Oktava mic's is only $426!

Go Back to forum