• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSPro Ruby and Diamond Shipping on HARD DRIVE

Share/Bookmark

VSPro Ruby and Diamond Shipping on HARD DRIVE

Plug-And-Play INSTANT GRATIFICATION!

Starting September 20, 2007 the huge Ruby and Diamond orchestral libraries will be shipped on portable hard drives instead of DVDs.

Now, because Ruby and Diamond ship on an included portable hard drive, you can preview your new sounds in K2, and hear them RIGHT AWAY with NO waiting or installation!*

Why ship on hard drive?
    1. Ease of installation to your hard drive. (Installation could take 4 hours or more using DVDs, whereas with this hard drive, the usual installation time for the 55GB Ruby library is only about an hour!)
    2. Since this portable hard drive is plug and play with NO software installation necessary, you can audibly preview instruments directly from the portable hard drive instantly BEFORE you actually install the library. This way, you can pick and choose whatever sections you want to install before the actual installation.
    3. The portable hard drive in itself is a great tool since it is a fully functional hard drive.

*While it is true that you can instantly play any VSPro Diamond or Ruby module directly from the portable hard drive, (using Kontakt 2) there are a few things you should know...
    1. The portable hard drive that ships containing Ruby/Diamond is designed for easy delivery, installation and previewing of the libraries ONLY. It is NOT meant for actual prolonged use in your musical work. Therefore, you should install the entire library as soon as possible.
    2. Once you receive the hard drive, you'll notice that the file structure of Ruby/Diamond is laid out so that you can easily create your own DVD backups. It is strongly suggested that you do this once you have copied the entire library over to your hard drive. Installation for Diamond/Ruby is very simple since it's simple drag-n-drop.

Re: VSPro Ruby and Diamond Shipping on HARD DRIVE

Oh Lordy!

Was I not in sheer financial dead end atm, I would buy RIGHT now! Diamond btw! Totally!

What a GREAT move Kirk! The best of luck!

COOL!

This is a good idea! (but I do like my really big DVD case).

oh yes, thats soo wicked!
    your the man. but you know that.
    I hate dvds lol, especially the ones that dont work :P

But does that raise the price for the libs...?

I can't decide if I really like this or not???? Mmmmm.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned but I like the box and manuals and all that good stuff, ya know what I mean?

What the hell do I know anyway..........

Mmm... this doesn't fly with me at all. Having the option to pick DVD's or a hard drive would be one thing... I don't want to be forced into burning a bunch of DVD's when those are all I want to begin with (and thus, should be the library developer/duplication house's responsibility, not mine). I've never once had a problem reading a DVD or receiving a scratched DVD (though I know others have)... but I've had all kinds of terrible complications with many a hard drive over the last twenty years.

I've been on the fence regarding the new KH orchestral material for some time... with absolute certainty, this knocks Diamond down to the bottom of my list. It's still there, I just gotta buy a bunch of other stuff first.

Thought I'd weigh in.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdini
    Mmm... this doesn't fly with me at all. Having the option to pick DVD's or a hard drive would be one thing... I don't want to be forced into burning a bunch of DVD's when those are all I want to begin with (and thus, should be the library developer/duplication house's responsibility, not mine). I've never once had a problem reading a DVD or receiving a scratched DVD (though I know others have)... but I've had all kinds of terrible complications with many a hard drive over the last twenty years.

I've been on the fence regarding the new KH orchestral material for some time... with absolute certainty, this knocks Diamond down to the bottom of my list. It's still there, I just gotta buy a bunch of other stuff first.

Thought I'd weigh in.

-Tom
    There will be an option to get DVDs instead. I just need to get a new run of stock.

Thank God.

Out of stock's fine. Out of options... is not.

Well, then Diamond is officially reinstated up towards the top of my list, right after a new pair of monitors.

The announcement made it seem like hard drives would be the sole delivery medium for now and forever. Bummed me out. Being able to immediately audition what you like and easily put different sections where you want them on your sample drive - and do it on your own time frame - is versatility and gratification I can appreciate. It's just not what I'd prefer. Maybe I'm an archaic loser who can't get into these hip new ideas, but again - I just don't trust a hard drive, which could die on me at any time no matter how well I take care of it, versus a plastic disc that will live on until I roll over it with my chair or drop it on a sheet of sandpaper.

Thanks, Kirk.

-Tom

I really like the idea of the bigger libraries coming standard on a hard drive. I really hate having to wait hours while things install. It's bad enough to install a mere 5 dvd collections let alone a massive 16 dvd library. Although the preview is a good idea I think in almost every case you will install the whole thing. Currently 500gb hard drives are really cheap so even a 100gb library is not much to store these days. I also don't see the need to burn the dvd's since you will have the library on 2 hard drives anyways, plus if one hard drive fails you can always just copy the library over to a new one. Not to mention the very worse case if both drives fail at the same time (which would be extremely rare) I'm sure Kirk as a nice guy as he is will let you buy another hard drive in the future for really cheap since you own a license to use the library in the first place.

Don't fear change. This is the future. Screw storing hundreds of DVD's in a rack! Heck even most of my cd collection (well the ones I listen to) gets stored on my hard drive for easy access, currently it's sitting at about 30gb worth of music although I have plenty more that I could store. I'd actually pay for downloaded music if I could have at least 44.1k 16bit Wavs as my CD racks are really badly overflowing with discs!

My point is why have all this media take up room when you don't need it. Sure pretty art and manuals/books are nice, but why won't you get that with your sample library on a hard drive if the dvd version comes with it? I'd expect the hard drive to be packaged the same way the dvds are along with any type of manual or printed art. Then again a pdf would save some money and trees

Keep up the good work Kirk and I really hope to buy one of your libraries in the future, and one on a hard drive will be my first choice .

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter
    1. Ease of installation to your hard drive. (Installation could take 4 hours or more using DVDs, whereas with this hard drive, the usual installation time for the 55GB Ruby library is only about an hour!)
    The property of the file folder in which I installed Ruby from DVDs shows the size is about 51GB. Why does it differ from 55GB? Might I skip the one disk when I installed Ruby?

And it took 8 hours to install from DVDs with combating some CRC errors in my case. The portable HDD is a great idea.
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

Go Back to forum