• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SOV vs. SC (w Vocal Planet)?

Share/Bookmark

Question SOV vs. SC (w Vocal Planet)?

Am considering finally taking the plunge and getting some decent voice samples to work with. Am thinking Vocal Planet for the more pop/jazz oriented pieces, and then for the more traditional choir sound I was originally figuring on Spectrasonics' other highly-regarded Symphony of Voices collection.

But I've just been taking a second look at EWQL's Symphonic Choirs, now that it's in the same general price range as SOV and appears to be a bit more Mac-friendly than when it first came out.

I know that each collection has its pros and cons (wish I could afford both), so would love to hear some "subjective" comparisons by users. How would you compare the overall "feel" of SC vs. SOV; in which sorts of arrangements would one perhaps be better suited than the other; and are there any ease-of-use issues I should be aware of (am about to upgrade from Logic Express to the new Logic 8 -- any known "Word Builder" issues there)?

And how would you rate each as a potential creative partner and "significant other" to a pop/jazz/gospel collection like Vocal Planet?

(FWIW, my particular preference would be for choir sounds that aren't overly "churchy" right out of the gate, i.e. drenched in cathedral-like reverberations. Would like to be able to add my own reverb where desired, or in other cases just keep things a bit more on the intimate side. A nice variety of children vs. adult, men vs. women, solos vs. small groups vs. larger ensembles -- each performing all the different sounds -- would also be ideal.)

Re: SOV vs. SC (w Vocal Planet)?

Ok, if you can afford it, get EWQL Symphonic Choirs...there realy is no competition right now, (untill the Vienna choirs arriwe that is.)

The Sov is from a completely different era in technology, and cannot even be compared to EWQLSC imo.
    The difference?
    Well...

SOV - 1990 something and 5 cds...
    EWQLSC -2000 Something and 9 dvds.

that pretty much says it all.

SC come with 3 different mic positions, so you can keep it quite dry.
    Realy, dont get Symphony of voices...it is so outdated and will not get you where you want at all.

The only other choir i would Consider is Voices of the Apocalypse , wich is in a way comparable to EWQLSC, only not as well recorded, and perhaps a bit more ..dramatic. And smaller obviously. but this is very huge and churchy. :P

so far SC has everything you need to make choir music. Obviously is more classical oriented, but there is nothing out there (until now) like this software.

All the other ones are really good. I have SOV and VOTA and they are great too. But for a real choir SC is the one you should go.

I know also that Vienna and Garritan are working on a choir too,
    but i am not sure the release is going to be soon.

just my 2cents,
    Roberto

Well....keep in mind that there's still tons of things that are only available on SOV and VP (even though they are older)

For example:

Pop Stacks
    Jazz Vocals
    Gospel Choirs
    Gregorian Choir
    Tuvan Throat Singers
    Many ethnic vocalists

and much more.....

There's a wide variety of nice choir libraries out there, but none (including EW choirs) are as comprehensive in variety as SOV or VP....not even by a long shot.

If you want word building, of course EWQLSC is the way to go, but if you need more variety or more pop-oriented vocals, SOV/VP is still tough to beat.

Don't measure only by number of CDs either, that doesn't always tell they whole story. :-)

spectrum
    (a biased source indeed...) ;-)

Thanks for all the input so far.

I guess I should clarify that right now I'm seeing Vocal Planet as a "decided", and so am really just weighing the relative strengths (stylistically, ease of use with Logic 8, variety, etc.) of these two combos:

Vocal Planet + Symphonic Choirs
    vs.
    Vocal Planet + Symphony of Voices

In an ideal world I'd just order both SC and SOV -- but for now will only be able to get one of them (in addition to VP).

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    Ok, if you can afford it, get EWQL Symphonic Choirs...there realy is no competition right now, (untill the Vienna choirs arriwe that is.)

The Sov is from a completely different era in technology, and cannot even be compared to EWQLSC imo.
    The difference?
    Well...

SOV - 1990 something and 5 cds...
    EWQLSC -2000 Something and 9 dvds.

that pretty much says it all.
    I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as that. Whilst 'newer' normally means 'better,' in the sampling world, SOV was a bit of a special case - something of a Stradivarius amongst samples. OK, so EW has word building, and about a gazillion samples, but I think SOV has a far nicer sound. When I don't need wordbuilding I still find myself reaching for SOV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as that. Whilst 'newer' normally means 'better,' in the sampling world, SOV was a bit of a special case - something of a Stradivarius amongst samples. OK, so EW has word building, and about a gazillion samples, but I think SOV has a far nicer sound. When I don't need wordbuilding I still find myself reaching for SOV.
    I second what Pingu just said. I own SOV, VOTA and EWSC and have to say that although the word building abilities of EW are great, SOV is just so gorgeous that I find myself reaching towards it over and over when you just don't need to specifically write something out.

And the sound itself is, to quote Pingu, "a Stradivarius"....it still holds its own years later.

I have SC but do not own VP or SOV. Eric Persing makes fantastic sounding instruments bar none. The only criticsm I have for Eric is that he hasn't released anything new in a long, long, long time. I know it's on the way but so is the second coming! Throw us a bone Eric. Atmosphere 2?

SC is a great package and the word building thing is great... if you have the time and patience. Check out the demo from Thomas J on their website. Fan-bloody-tastic IMHO. I haven't used SC much but there is no doubt that it sounds great.

One other thing is that SC will eat up your machine compared to SOV and VP. I think Eric mentioned above to not be mistaken that 5 CD's are inferior to 9 DVD's. Quantity does not mean quality and visa versa.
    2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertram
    Thanks for all the input so far.

I guess I should clarify that right now I'm seeing Vocal Planet as a "decided", and so am really just weighing the relative strengths (stylistically, ease of use with Logic 8, variety, etc.) of these two combos:

Vocal Planet + Symphonic Choirs
    vs.
    Vocal Planet + Symphony of Voices

In an ideal world I'd just order both SC and SOV -- but for now will only be able to get one of them (in addition to VP).
    The key question for you is whether you need multisamples or phrases?

Vocal Planet is majority phrases and SOV is majority multisamples. So you should factor that into your decision too.

I think the key question is whether you want/need the choirs to sing actual words that you can create. If so, it is the only game in town right now. If not, you are probably better of spending your $$ elsewhere.

I used it in Trick or Treat, in case you want to take a listen.

www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness

[Of course, this is not how most people use it, but nothing else could have done this].

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum