• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just starting out

Share/Bookmark

Just starting out

Greetings Gang,

I am building a new Gigastudio system and I intend to use my MOTU PCI 324 card with an original 2408 and/or 1224. The host computer is a Dell/Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz/1 gig of ram/internal 80 gig hard drive. Now to my questions:

1. Will it work?
    2. If so, what drivers do I need?
    3. Are there any specific tweaks or settings in Windows XP that are required or suggested?
    4. Is Music Labs midioverlan+ recommended for MIDI communications?
    5. What are the recommended external firewire drives?
    5. Is there any quicksand or bear trap that you can identify for me to avoid?
    6. What\'s better for Giga -- Windows XP or XP Professional?
    7. Are some Firewirecards better than others for Giga?

Many thanks,

Dave

Re: Just starting out

1. Will it work? (should work if the audio card has GSIF drivers. I would go for two gigs of RAM if it is doable in your motherboard. I like corsair brand myself. 2 one gig sticks although a bit more expensive is a little more ideal than 4x 512 sticks.)

2. If so, what drivers do I need? (GSIF GigaStudioInterFace driver for the audio card.)

3. Are there any specific tweaks or settings in Windows XP that are required or suggested? (to get better RAM usagage, there are some registry tweaks out there that can help in XP. Check out the detailed discussion at the top of the Giga forum and VSL for details.)

4. Is Music Labs midioverlan+ recommended for MIDI communications? (its a wonderfull tool to save money on MIDI hardware. Its worth trying out before resorting to MIDI hardware)

5. What are the recommended external firewire drives? (I don\'t know. I have had my best luck with a full blown assembled kit while I have had problems with the build it yourself kits before)

5. Is there any quicksand or bear trap that you can identify for me to avoid? (about 50 paces from the ocean, in the forrest, under the coconut tree, you should walk left around the tree, not right.)

6. What\'s better for Giga -- Windows XP or XP Professional? (XP Pro!! XP home has that funky MIDI port limitation that used to be a problem in Win95. Also better potential remote control options with XP pro that are not part of the home edition.)

7. Are some Firewirecards better than others for Giga? (I use internal hard drives for streaming with Serial ATA (SATA) drives and onboard motherboard connectors. Firewire drives should work but I don\'t know how well as far as polyphony is concerned. )

Hope that helps a bit.
    Dave

Re: Just starting out

Dave, Thanks for your prompt and extremely informative reply. To follow up, have you had any experience with the Sonica Systems integrated DAW solutions? i.e see the following link:

http://www.rockinghamsound.com/pdetails.asp?itemID=8157

Thanks again.

Go Back to forum