• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Ever need sound treatment (Foam)?

Share/Bookmark

Cool OT - Ever need sound treatment (Foam)?

Try this site. Get as much as you need or as little. What I would have spent on that other guy ********, this site saved over half. Works great and looks just swell, Wally. Made my home studio kind of swanky! Maybe you can use this site maybe not. Just thought I would Cher. Clair, the moment I saw you I swear.
    By the way, Home Depot sells a spray glue that works awesome with this foam. You can spray it on light, wait a few seconds and it will make a temporary bond. Spray on heavy (he aint heavy, he's my brother) and it's permanent. Spray it on ice cream and you have one heck of a problem!

http://www.foambymail.com

See ya later. I have an appointment with Fire Marshall Bill Burns for a fire inspection of our school. I just hope my fire passes.
    Styxx

Exclamation Re: OT - Ever need sound treatment (Foam)?

Hey Styxx,
    Just a heads up on foambymail. The foam is not what they advertise it to be. Unfortunately, the acoustics numbers they publish have been proven false and you will not get the kind of absorption that they advertise. The foam is ok for reducing some high frequency reflections, but not what you would be looking for in a studio. Take a look at this report from Ethan Winer at RealTraps.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/fraud.html

There are other solutions not much more expensive that do a far superior job for absorption. Take a look at these links:

http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=diy.home

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS...nels--100.html

Also, don't take my word on foambymail. Go over to Gearslutz and do a search on foambymail. You will get opinions from people with much more experience and knowledge than myself.

Sorry to throw a wrench in the works, I'm just trying to keep your back covered. I mean, you are *the* Styxx that we all know and love!

-Kevin

[EDIT] I just reread your post and realized that you have already purchased and installed the foam. Hopefully it will work out just great for you.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: OT - Ever need sound treatment (Foam)?

Post some pics when you're done, if you get a break in your schedule long enough to do that. Did you get charcoal or colors? I like the charcoal, but a lighter grey would also be cool.

I had thought about using this dense grey sheet foam, forgot the name of it, but it's used for aircraft interiors so kinda expensive, but not as insanly priced as other stuff used on airplanes. It is flat, but these shaped foams on this site are probably much more effective for studios.

Exclamation Re: OT - Ever need sound treatment (Foam)?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Post some pics when you're done, if you get a break in your schedule long enough to do that. Did you get charcoal or colors? I like the charcoal, but a lighter grey would also be cool.

I had thought about using this dense grey sheet foam, forgot the name of it, but it's used for aircraft interiors so kinda expensive, but not as insanly priced as other stuff used on airplanes. It is flat, but these shaped foams on this site are probably much more effective for studios.
    Hey Leaf,
    Actually, if you purchase Owens Corning 705 sheets you will have the perfect solution. The sheets come in 2 or 4 inch varients. Use 4 inches for mid to high level frequencies, then use a minimum of 6 inches (up to 10 or 12) for bass absorption.

The Real Acoustics site will sell you premade bags to put the 705 in or you can build your own frame and cover it with cloth for about $15. (For a 2 foot by 4 foot frame.) Total cost for a typical DIY 2x4x4 frame is about $29.00.

Mount your acoustic panels four inches off of the wall and you have professional grade absorption.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Hey Styxx,
    Just a heads up on foambymail. The foam is not what they advertise it to be. Unfortunately, the acoustics numbers they publish have been proven false and you will not get the kind of absorption that they advertise. The foam is ok for reducing some high frequency reflections, but not what you would be looking for in a studio. Take a look at this report from Ethan Winer at RealTraps.

There are other solutions not much more expensive that do a far superior job for absorption. Take a look at these links:

http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=diy.home

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS...nels--100.html

Also, don't take my word on foambymail. Go over to Gearslutz and do a search on foambymail. You will get opinions from people with much more experience and knowledge than myself.

Sorry to throw a wrench in the works, I'm just trying to keep your back covered. I mean, you are *the* Styxx that we all know and love!

-Kevin

[EDIT] I just reread your post and realized that you have already purchased and installed the foam. Hopefully it will work out just great for you.
    Wow!

Guess i'll go with the aircraft foam afterall, wish i could remember the name of it.

If it comes to me in a little while, i'll post it. It is designed to absorb sound and apparently works, because i have been on planes both before and after the treatment, difference is huge. Comes in many thicknesses and mostly we used the thinner 1/4', someplaces 1/8, because in a plane weight is a big concern. Rear bulkheads got 1/2" or 3/8" i think. Made by one of the major mfgs, Dupont or 3M or something like that but i'll have to find it to see.

Kevin
    Thanks. It did help my home studio room quite a bit. Before installing, the overall acoustics were totally unbearable at any level mainly due to the dense armor drywall on walls and ceiling. The floor is all tile so there is absolutely no absorption at all. When I positioned bass traps and panels the room dried up considerably where listening and or playing my drums are near comfortable acoustics. Mind you I did not build my home studio to be completely sound proofed from the rest of the house. Just enough to quiet things down and cancel out impact noise from above. I did not use a thickness more than 1" on their studio foam and it still helped. I need to treat the ceiling and door surface next.
    I have looked into readyacoustics as well as other and ordered a few of their panels. I'll let you know how they fair out in use.
    No wrench in the machine. I'm always open minded and appreciate any suggestions.
    Leaf, I'll try to get some pics out. The colors I used are burgundy and blue (so far). I have a few on my phone but darn if I can figure out how to get them to the PC. I'll borrow my daughters digital camera and try later to post some pics.
    Styxx

Hey Leaf,
    Actually, if you purchase Owens Corning 705 sheets you will have the perfect solution. The sheets come in 2 or 4 inch varients. Use 4 inches for mid to high level frequencies, then use a minimum of 6 inches (up to 10 or 12) for bass absorption.

The Real Acoustics site will sell you premade bags to put the 705 in or you can build your own frame and cover it with cloth for about $15. (For a 2 foot by 4 foot frame.) Total cost for a typical DIY 2x4x4 frame is about $29.00.

Mount your acoustic panels four inches off of the wall and you have professional grade absorption.

-Kevin
    Thanks for info! I actually don't have a studio yet, but collecting info for now, so i'll have when ready, and this info is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Kevin
    Thanks. It did help my home studio room quite a bit. Before installing, the overall acoustics were totally unbearable at any level mainly due to the dense armor drywall on walls and ceiling. The floor is all tile so there is absolutely no absorption at all. When I positioned bass traps and panels the room dried up considerably where listening and or playing my drums are near comfortable acoustics. Mind you I did not build my home studio to be completely sound proofed from the rest of the house. Just enough to quiet things down and cancel out impact noise from above. I did not use a thickness more than 1" on their studio foam and it still helped. I need to treat the ceiling and door surface next.
    I have looked into readyacoustics as well as other and ordered a few of their panels. I'll let you know how they fair out in use.
    No wrench in the machine. I'm always open minded and appreciate any suggestions.
    Leaf, I'll try to get some pics out. The colors I used are burgundy and blue (so far). I have a few on my phone but darn if I can figure out how to get them to the PC. I'll borrow my daughters digital camera and try later to post some pics.
    Hope it works out well for you Styxx, despite the bad reports. Hope you don't have to do redo.

Take a look at this report from Ethan Winer at RealTraps.

While you are at it, take a look at Ethan's "A Cello Rondo"

Its a real hoot!

http://www.ethanwiner.com/rondo.html

Hey Leaf,

-Kevin
    Actually have some 703 and 704 installed in our elevator shaft at the music store. A considerable difference. It is mounted between two 1/2 inch 4X8 sheet of Hush Board. You don't see it. You see the hush board. The shaft was a big problem. The 705 was considered overkill but that's what we wanted, overkill!
    What I used in my home studio was enough to cut down mid and high and reverb you know, that annoying piercing ear bloodying ambiance! Well, it worked. We must remember the room size overall. I don't want it totally dry, just enough to make sense out of what's coming out of the monitors. Balance is a tricky science when it comes to sound treatment. Cut the bass too much and you will over compensate in the mix. Likewise for the rest of the frequencies. FR testing? I guess I could go that route next.
    As far as waisting my time, material and money I don't think so. I noticed a huge difference in the sound of my drum kit alone. They sound like well tuned drums now instead of metal cans.
    I like the idea of 705 or 703 wall panels.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum