• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Andante for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Andante for Orchestra

Here is a short piece that was intended to be the beginnings of a Viola Concerto - and may well end up as such. However, I've had very little time recently due to my father's ill health so I'm submitting it as a short orchestral piece - without the originally intended soloist!

I've simply called it 'Andante for Orchestra' - which is not very imaginative, so I'd be grateful for any inspiration and comments please.

http://www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

Thanks,

Graham

PS Please excuse the cymbal at the end, I'm having difficulty getting the desired suspended effect!!

Re: Andante for Orchestra

Nice music, Mr. Graham. I like the sonority.

You do have some muddiness and tonal clashing in the lower register from time to time. Easily corrected.

Ending on the dominant makes me just a bit uneasy. It screams for the tonic.

Nevertheless, it's a fine writing job, indeed.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Unlike Larry I didn't hear anything that clashed.

It was overall quite beautiful... with one caveat: there's a certain "sameness" to the music that was off-putting. I kept waiting for the music to "take off", to move into some unexpected harmonic area, but it never did. There are some beautiful build-ups to climaxes, but they feel a bit empty because they haven't been anywhere, nor lead anywhere.

What you have here is a gorgeous first draft of a potentially brilliant piece of music.

Graham,

Quite liked this - I wasn't bothered by the dissonace in the early going. I thought the high point was very effective; to take Michel's issue, it could be extended over a longer period of time. Perhaps. This has the gestures that are recognizably yours, and the mood you create is lovely. The inner voice activity is very good, and gives a sense of movement even when the flow is calm.

There is real beauty here. Thank you for that!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Larry: Thanks for tuning in my friend. Yep, the ending needs a little more work - and I am indeed rather fond of the lower strings!

Michel: Thanks for that really useful feedback. I think this is confirmation that I should not abandon my original intention of this being a concerto. I can 'hear' a solo instrument taking this off into new territory at various points and this would help to overcome the sameness you describe. As soon as time permits, I will deal with this.

Many thanks. G

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Graham,

Quite liked this - I wasn't bothered by the dissonace in the early going. I thought the high point was very effective; to take Michel's issue, it could be extended over a longer period of time. Perhaps. This has the gestures that are recognizably yours, and the mood you create is lovely. The inner voice activity is very good, and gives a sense of movement even when the flow is calm.

There is real beauty here. Thank you for that!
    Ron: Thanks, I appreciate your kind comments and encouragement. The feedback from both yourself and Michel points towards taking this further which I'm looking forward to doing.

Regards, Graham

PS I've pinged you over an e-mail on myspace. I hope to get back to you again as soon as things are under control this end.

Thumbs up Re: Andante for Orchestra

It is great. I also like the sonority even though i had to look that up. To me the ending sounds as if it is preceding a brief pause to start another movement. But without another, it did sound like something left unresolved or left dangling on the edge, but i didn't notice until i read the other posts and listened again.

David

I really liked the mood you drew with this. Very well done. I will, however, side with Michel to some degree – although this is very good as it stands, a few surprises thrown in would help. I really enjoyed listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks David and Trent, I value your comments. That's two more votes for developing this further!

Regards, Graham

Greetings, Graham

I really enjoy the calm, flowing beauty of your new work. I also think your plan for developing some solo lines is an excellent idea for developing and deepening what is already so rich.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast