• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: what is the new opus 1 and 2?

Share/Bookmark

what is the new opus 1 and 2?

what product replaced vsl's opus 1 and 2?
    thanks.

Re: what is the new opus 1 and 2?

I would imagine that would be Vienna SE Standard (Opus 1) and Extended (Opus 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    I would imagine that would be Vienna SE Standard (Opus 1) and Extended (Opus 2).
    I'm not sure it's accurate to connect Opus 1 to Standard and Opus 2 to Extended. I think Vienna SE Standard corresponds to Opus 1+2 but has more instruments but fewer articulations and velocity layers. The SE Extended consists mostly of new instruments that were not part of Opus 1+2 if I remember this correctly (the instrument list on the VSL site doesn't seem to be available at the moment). I found it a bit odd that the discount for Opus 1+2 users only applies to the Extended edition despite the fact that the only overlap with Opus instruments is to be found in SE Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    I found it a bit odd that the discount for Opus 1+2 users only applies to the Extended edition despite the fact that the only overlap with Opus instruments is to be found in SE Standard.
    I bet it sells more Extended Edition licenses

VSL SE is a fantastic product, and there is no product from any other developer that comes close. When VI was first released, there were a lot of complains about the fact that discounts only applied to the Extended, rather than to the Standard as well. However there were reasons for this, and it was all explained very carefully. Having said that, the discounts on the Extended were huge, so anyone who had the "original" products would have been stupid not to get the Extended as well.

The other good part about all this is that you have the Extended in demo mode for 30 days (or 180 starts) so you can see whether or not you wish to purchase this. On the surface this seems a good idea for the user to try before they buy, but in practice it means that almost everyone ends up spending more money than they intended!

D

Those marketing geniuses at VSL get me to pull out the wallet every time. Gotta love 'em and hate 'em.

VI SE corresponds to Opus 1, but with more instruments (and no trills).

Opus 2 is a collection of FX and extra articulations (runs, repetitions, sordino, flautando, etc.) currently not included in VI SE.

IMO, a Special Edition 2 could be on the way.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl

The other good part about all this is that you have the Extended in demo mode for 30 days (or 1890 starts)

D
    So i could buy App strings standard and leave it open all winter long(which is what I'm gonna do anyway as my machine room gets reel cold in the winter so i need to do this to keep my pcs from freezing ) and that would count as 1 start? 1 start for every time i start my Pc or VI?

That's pretty darn cool if it's the case.

I think it's one start for every time you load the patch. However, then the 30 day limitation would kick in.

D

Daryl, I know that there are good reasons for why the discount applies to only the Extended edition. However, most of those arguments makes sense only from the producers point of view and not the users'. Anyway, it wasn't really my meaning to revive this old debate.

Go Back to forum