• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Wizard Wall

Lightbulb The Wizard Wall

This is my first post. This composition was created using Reason 2.5 with some sounds coming from the GPO lite refill, some from the Reason Orkester soundbank, and some from the Miroslav Philharmonik Gold refill. It is an idea for an opening theme for a screenplay that a friend of mine is writing. This is my first orchestral composition. The instruments are not panned to represent a real orchestra yet. I'll have to post a re-edit after I fix that. Thanks.

John Dickason

Re: The Wizard Wall

This is great! and certainly sounds very magical Once all the panning is finalized I think this will really come to life. I did find in the section at 2:48 the woodwind overpowers the trumpet line a little bit and the brass that then follows was a little bit harsh sounding.
    Overall some fantastic writing here, I look forward to hearing the final version.

You can listen to my latest piece here -

Thanks Kevin. Yes, the sforzando trumpets were from the Reason soundbank and are quite harsh. I'm still experimenting with how to get realistic dynamic changes in Reason. Once I do, I'll scrap those and use the better sounding brass from GPO. I too realized the woodwinds were a little loud in the trumpet solo section. It's a work in progress. Still some tweaking to do. Thanks for listening.

Replying to any message on this forum is going soooooooooooo slow that I apologize for this short one. The beginning sounds good, but I must have another break now.... come to this later this afternoon.

John, a warm welcome to the forum.

And an admirable debut! There's some first-rate writing (and
    thinking) in this -- very well done... particularly in knowing
    when to hold your hand close, restrain the material for best

Technically, there are some minor balance and control problems
    in the latter parts -- but you'll get things like that nailed in
    no time... on the overall, you've gotten a great sound, here.

My best,

Thanks very much. I very much appreciate getting your feedback. Lux esto!

John Dickason

West Seneca, NY

Hey, and welcome to the forum! You have nice work here. You're on your way!

Thanks Styxx,

Getting good feedback from you experienced guys means a lot. I've got another composition in the pipeline; a classical quartet version of "A Whiter Shade of Pale". I've already recorded it once with real instruments (tenor sax, alto sax, trombone, and bass). Looking forward to how it will sound using GPO samples.

John Dickason

Wilton, NH

Sounds great. Makes an intriguing opening theme. I don’t know if wizards come to mind, but something mysterious. When I think that this is your first orchestral piece, well you are off to a flying start.
    Trent P. McDonald

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice composition and presentation. I can hear elements of the presence of a wizard at times. Yes, please spread the instruments around the stage and it will make it much more interesting I believe.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast