• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: String orchestra piece, built up from solo GPO instruments

Share/Bookmark

String orchestra piece, built up from solo GPO instruments

This is a scherzo for string orchestra, which was part of my master's thesis.

A very straightforward scherzo structure, with a light Mahlerian trio section.

There's a humourous quote from Tchaikowski in the introduction to the coda section (based on the similarity between that theme and the theme of the trio section of the Scherzo).

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/scherzo/scherzo.mp3

I built up the string orchestra using solo instruments from both Garritan Instruments for Finale as well as from full version GPO.

There are doublings, seeing as there are a limited number of solo string samples. I tried setting the "variation" on the doublings to a slightly different setting. It SEEMS to have worked, except for the violas which still, for some reason, give a bit of a "chorus" effect.

This is
    4 solo 1st violins
    4 solo 2nd violins
    4 solo violas
    4 solo cellos
    2 solo contrabasses

Re: String orchestra piece, built up from solo GPO instruments

Interesting piece. New sounds for me. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the lower instruments are more "in front" than the 1st violins.Yes, on occasions Mahler comes in. The more it develops while writing the more interesting I think it is. I must download it for a second listening, for sure.

Thank you for posting, you were right about the violas!!!

Raymond

I think for the most part you were successful in your “experiment”. I don’t know if I hear the chorusing in the violas, but they occasionally (particularly near the beginning) sound metallic. Anyway, not 100% convincing, but it sounds pretty good.

Compositionally I like this quite a bit. I didn’t follow it all the way – I admit I got lost now and then, but I did catch the Tchaikovsky (hard to miss!) near the end. I did enjoy it more the second time through and was able to follow it a little better.

However, I have to say that I like the piece for orchestra and piano you recently posted much more than this. And your clarinet sonata – I can’t say which of the two (piano & orchestra or clarinet sonata) I like more.

As usual I really enjoyed your work.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 09-20-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: clarified a point
    Trent P. McDonald

I enjoyed this very much I could hear the chorusing in the beginning, but not so much as the piece progressed. It is a very busy piece which takes great skill in the writing to sound good. This is something you definitely have achieved.

Great stuff

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Thank-you Kev. I'm glad you enjoyed it...

Now I hope the audience at the premiere enjoys it as well!

It seems the demo with GPO was enough to convince a conductor to programme it into a concert this fall. So it looks like I might be getting my fisrt premiere of this piece in Seattle. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I don't want to count my crotchets before they're played.

Congratulations on the premier, Michel! This will
    undoubtedly shine in the hands of real players.

Some excellent handling of the GPO strings in this;
    I was quite surprised at the sound in places...
    darned if I could get it even near that good.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi, Michel

Nice! I enjoyed being agitated by this swirling piece of yours.

Best of luck on the possible Seattle performance!

And congrats on what I think is a Very successful "experiment" - Ensemble Building just as the Garritan philosophy states but which doesn't seem to be done very often.

Kudos.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

again, thanks for your kind comments David and Randy.

let's keep our collective Garritan finges crossed in the hopes that this performance DOES see the light of day (or rather see the darkness of dusk.. since most concerts are in the evening)

BTW, does anyone know what I might use as a means of avoiding that "phase" effect that happens in sustained notes when one is forced to use the same instruments twice (as I did here)?

Remember I'm using Finale, so it's notation-based.

Ive tried transposition, but for some reason couldn't get my tiny brain around the concepts necessary for the instruments to SOUND in the right key.

is there maybe some other function I could use?
    would just off-setting the performance of a few channels off by a nanosecond correct that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    Now I hope the audience at the premiere enjoys it as well!

It seems the demo with GPO was enough to convince a conductor to programme it into a concert this fall. So it looks like I might be getting my fisrt premiere of this piece in Seattle. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I don't want to count my crotchets before they're played.
    Hey Michel, congrats. Hopefully all goes well and this gets played. If they let you it would be great if you could post a live versus GPO thread.
    Trent P. McDonald

Michel,

Very impressive work. It is nice that you can present such a personal accomplishment using notation and GPO. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum